Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I close to some sort of record?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swimeasy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. swimeasy

swimeasy

I have been collecting parts and building a 27 rpu for TEN years. This has got to come to fruit soon! When I do finish I will drive down to Austin and see if Steve will let me park in front of the Contental Club for a solid WEEK!!

2. Doug B

Doug B

I'm right behind ya at 9 years....at least its a roller now...

3. 1Bad67

1Bad67

not even close... My brother started a Model A Pickup back in the early 60's. They had it running but not freally inished until he wrecked it in the early 80's. He's been putting it back together ever since.

4. swimeasy

swimeasy

Whats got me really thinking is that after I finish the 27rpu, I want to sell it and start a 32 (from scrach) .THAT COULD TAKE THE REST OF MY LIFE, MAN!!!

5. John Denich

John Denich

Nope I know of a 32 Roadster the guy bought in 59.....still working on it.....

6. This hobby, I mean obsession, IS supposed to take the rest of your life! My Chevy has been part of my life 23 years now. Still not done! I've got other cars waiting in the wings in case it ever gets done..

7. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Sorry, anyone that says that they have been working on a roadster scince 59' is full of it...They may have OWNED it scince 59' but only worked on it a cumulative of a year or so....

I'm not knockin folks, I understand life gets in the way of wrenchin sometimes. Hell, I've owned my 49 for 13-ish years but have only been working on it a total of 3.5 years....with the exception of the first couple months and the last 1.5 years it's been a driving project.

Good job on getting close to done though....I've deduced that I now have enough sweat equity in mine that I'll likely not ever get rid of it...

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

9. John Denich

John Denich

I know he is full of shit...I ask about the roadster and he keeps saying he is working in it!!! he probably has not touched it since 1960...I want to buy it!!!!

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

Thanks, I don't feel so goofy after all. Now, for some reason, I feel like I need to go out there and work in the shop.

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 years gathering parts? Hell, I've been THINKING of gathering parts for 20 years! :D

12. Tony

Tony

Huh...i'm not so different i guess. Been collecting parts for my 32 5 window since i bought it about 8 years ago..Have yet to start it.
    Hopefully i'll start it either this winter or spring......or before i'm dead anyway.

13. doctorZ

doctorZ

i think it all just depends on your age. i have been working on my sedan for a mere 5 years, but i'm only 25. that's 20% of my life so far, half my life since i could drive!

14. chris55

chris55

11 years and counting on mine.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

you guys have more patience than i do..

16. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Friend of mine took apart his truck in the mid 70's and its still not done. but he has built about a dozen other projects in that time

17. It's only a record if you traded/swapped/sold stuff so that in all this time you have no money in it, or are ahead on it.

18. mj40's

mj40's

I have been working on my coupe for 44 years. But I did put 250,000+ miles on it during that time and 3 rebuilds. You do know that you are really never finished, don't you?

19. i know a guy that has been building a T-bucket since 1962

20. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend Frank who owns the Bell Super Coupe has a roadster pickup mid build sitting in his garage. The first time I saw it, I commented on how cool it was. Frank said he was building it for his daughter's 16th birthday. I told him how impressed I was with his parenting. He said i was wrong, she had just had her 41st birthday a couple of months before

21. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

im just about a year on my A, but i really only worked on it 6 months out of the year.

22. 61 chevy

61 chevy

ever car i build, i drove it, what is the use to have it,sell it to someone who will finish it, thats not hotroding, let it set and rust away :eek:

23. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

Been working on my dart for 14 years ??? someday I make it run LOL

24. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

wanna buy a running one?

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I found my 1930 a Roadster body in 1962, sold it to a guy that did nothing to it in 25 years he had it, bought it back and will be welding the subrails back together tomorrow.

26. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

That be no fun !!! I just have to take it apart and start over LOL

27. Terry O

Terry O

Many parts I'm using on the Vicky gasser I rat holed over the last 40 years waiting to be used on THIS build. A moon hand fuel pressure pump I actually bought when I was 15 or 44 years ago started all this nonsense :)

Terry

28. chaddilac

chaddilac

Most hot rodders that are looking for cars to buy talk to people like you all the time... you're one of them "I'm gonna build that one of these days" type guys!! :D

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Everyone should have that one special car that takes a lifetime to "complete."

30. Nitrofan

Nitrofan
    from Kentucky

It's great to hear that I'm not the only one taking forever.