Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Pate Museum in Cresson, Tx is closing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CrazyVern, Dec 12, 2009.

1. CrazyVern

CrazyVern

All,
    Today in a local newspaper is an article about the Pate Museum closing. This is where the Pate swapmeet started and was held for years. It will close Dec 24th, so if you are close or do not mind a road trip come check it out.

2. Rusty

Rusty

Man that is sad news

3. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Probably going to build more houses on the property, probably 25K an acre around there. Wonder what are they going to do with all of the displays?

4. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

That is so, so sad to me. I know the writing has been on the wall for such a long time but still... Mr. Pate was such a gentleman and just a wonderful human being it is just tragic to see what he built go by the wayside so we can fit a few more yuppies into that neighborhood.

5. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

My grandfather used to own 5 acres right across from the Pate when I was growing up in Fort Worth. We used to go over there all the time, play in the tanks, the double decker bus...spent the night in the Pullman train cars with cub scouts, went up to the old observatory, etc. I remember they had trampolines that were flush with the ground...it was awesome! Cool place, sad to see it go.
    Might have to swing out there on Christmas eve for one last visit

6. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

7. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

I read that today too in the Star Telegram.

http://www.star-telegram.com/photos/gallery/1824918.html

I miss the old Pate swap meet. It was either a muddy mess or hotter than hell. Used to be an annual adventure. Still go the meet at the Speedway, but it just doesn't have the same appeal. May try to get out to the museum before it closes. Wonder how they'll dispose of the cars and memorabilia...

8. 33 coupe

33 coupe

hate to see that happen. The place use to be great place. My Dad was an air force aircraft mechanic and helped to prep the C119 that is on display at pate years ago when it was donated to the museum. I also remember the trampolenes that were level with the ground. As a kid I always thought that was very cool

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for posting that link, GT

10. bigken

bigken

Bummer, my folks used to drive down from St. Louis just to go to that swap meet. When it moved to TMS, it lost a lot of it's 'draw' for them. It was cool checking out car parts, and old military hardware.

11. ctmcca

ctmcca

That sucks, I went there a few times for the swap meet before it moved. Loved the layout and thought the museum was cool as hell. It's going to be sad to see that go.

12. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Pate's daughter said they didn't have any plans yet for the cars, hated to see the swap meet leave there, met many great people, bad weather just seemed to be normal!
    We would reserve a couple of spots and take the kids, my friend always worried he would sell something and couldn't come back! One year he actually went around and bought stuff just so his wife would let him come back the next year! Lots of great memories.

13. 1977 - dad says - lets take all these Mustangs parts left over from your sisters car build ( dumb build-because you could still find perfect 'stangs back then) but ...any way that was the first year I set up and always made it back to the end...rain cold or what ever it was great - making friends was what it was about...didnt jell with TMS until a couple of years ago...remember when we could park on the side of the road-no charge...the end was near when we had to start paying...RIP-Pate Muesum of Transportation...

14. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

That is very sad for me too. My Dad worked for a company in Ft. Worth that was owned by part of the Pate family. We got to go out there all of the time, when I was a kid. He would volunteer to go out there and water the grounds and do other miscellaneous jobs. I think he enjoyed being out there. I too went to those swap meets and miss them. TMS is no Pate. I will definitely miss driving by and seeing all the displays.

CN

15. Sad, many of the aircraft were repossesed by the USAF, due to disrepair.
    Its a shame the new generation doesn't have the passion.
    I'll miss that place and may have to run down one last time.

Doc. likes this.
  16. stovebolt55

stovebolt55

Man, I loved that place as a kid in the 70's. Getting to crawl all through those military vehicles, planes, etc, was heaven.

Haven't been there in years..so sad to hear it's going away....

17. forddragracer

forddragracer

we're going down next sunday, and take as many pics as the camera can hold.
    what better place to preserve the memory of the place than here?

18. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I still really really miss that swap meet...

19. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That's not just a loss, that's a devastation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Any HAMBers want to make a run down there before the 24th?

21. Might have to make a run down there this weekend.

22. rgaller

rgaller

Anyone know why they're closing?

23. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

Christmas eve is the last day. I havent been out there since i was 14 yrs old. My dad took me out that as a birthday present. :D I'm gonna miss that place. I wish the younger gens. would really take into consideration the history places like that can teach us...

24. swi66

swi66

Sad to hear.
    I've never been there but I bet it is due to lack of attendance.

People just don't go to museums anymore it seems.

They have no sense of history.

25. apound

apound

That would be great. I may try and get down there one last time but pretty busy.
    Pate was one of the few car related places I ever went to with my dad (he wasn't into cars at all but went to see the planes). We happened to go the weekend of the swap meet one year not knowing it was going on that weekend. Sometime in the early 70s I think. One of my best memories.

26. Big Dad

Big Dad

27. JustJoey

JustJoey

Wow that is sad. Im not suprised though. Ill have to make a trip down this weekend.

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I went there a few years back. Pretty cool place. I like that kind of stuff. Sad to see it go away.

29. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

The swap meet never was the same after the move to TMS. As a kid it seemed like a marathon walking from the highway where you parked to the property. Someone like a Jay Leno type should get some of the rare ones that need special maintenance so they can still be used and enjoyed.
    Shame to see this place go.

30. belair

belair

I miss the rain and the mud. Went every year I could. It was a blast. Loved it down in the trees and all.