Register now to get rid of these ads!

cars in the ocean.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fine29, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

think this flathead is rebuildable?

Gives new meaning to boat anchor.

Attached Files:

2. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Here is a more modern car trapped by the Pacific sands here. I saw it on one of my morning walks a while back. It was in the middle of the river. A woman tried to drive across with her kids in the car, but they all got out safely. Later after the river had its way with it, it looked like the picture, now it is nowhere to be seen. I expect it to pop up when the sand gets scoured away by the right storm someday.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Attached Files:

3. I never knew the army did that.

4. I'd always read that they dropped a '59 Cadillac Brougham in the ocean as they were loading them back up to ship to the states from Italy after their Pininfarina treatment.

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

A bunch of Nashes went down with the Lakeland Car ferry. It's on the net

6. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

how about a tranny to go with it?

[​IMG]

7. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Twin supercharged shelby. one of two made. the other one is at the bottom of the ocean from what ive heard

Attached Files:

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Now...slightly above the waterline...
    The Suez canal was closed for a long time after one of the wars in the '60's, and a number of ships were trapped there the whole time. I think they were eventually paid off by insurance companies, and were scrapped when the canal was reopened.
    Story from a British old car magazine, maybe early 1970's: One of the ships held a number of new XKE's. Someone bought them from insurance or perhaps shipping company on a gamble...he was not allowed to inspect them!
    My subscription ran out and I was verydamnpoor. Never heard about the story again.
    What Happened??
    Also in Suez about the same time...someone pried open a huge old crate in the back corner of a warehouse, and discovered a New knocked-down WWI Dodge ambulance! It was on its way to the Mesopotamian theatre of the war for the British army fighting the Turks, and apparently missed the boat.

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

10. Tony

Tony

Man thats wild...Look's like a late 50's early 60's GM X frame..wonder where the rest of it is...rusted back to earth maybe?

11. rainh8r

rainh8r

There used to be lots of cars along the Washington beaches that were slowly sinking into the sand after being dumped there years ago. I haven't seen many lately, but the beach was a dump for locals for years. I spent hours playing on them when I was a kid. Now it's just the unlucky ones that get their cars stuck before the tide comes in.

12. monkey19

monkey19

yup :mad:

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

15 or so years ago i drove for North American van lines and i delivered to a house in the keys. In back of their place was the inter-coastal waterway and you could see the bottom off their dock, There were a couple model A's that looked like they had just been parked their long ago. The owner told me the inter-coastal's around the keys were loaded with different vehicles from the 20's through the 50's.

14. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

This shit's scary.

15. BJR

BJR

Found this on the shore of Lake Superior in Northern Wisconsin.

Attached Files:

16. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

About 30 years ago was living out in hundred, WV a bunch of us went swimming out fish creek and where 3 creeks came together you could see down to bottom maybe 40-50 feet and what looked like 8-10 50s-60s cars their, always wanted to go back and check it out

17. thebugbox

thebugbox

I followed a lead on a 23 Window VW Van. A guy saw a model of mine on my shelf, and told me a story of where they abandoned one that had those little 'funny' windows in the roof, and a sunroof (you VW guys will know what I'm talking about) because it wouldn't run anymore. He drew me a map of where it was, and it was only about an hour away. I drove there and found the place where it should have been resting. It was littered with various VW parts, so I knew I was close. So I started canvasing the area. After another 1/2 hour, I found where someone was building them a nice lake with a backhoe...

...there in the middle of this man-made lake, was about 1' of roof sticking out of the water, of what used to be a 23 window VW bus, demolished by what looked to be like a backhoe carrying it there...

It isn't American Iron, but I wept a little on the inside.

18. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

This ain't the place for your tree-hugging politics. Take that shit somewhere else.

19. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

There is a lot of stuff that has been sunk between the U.S. and Cuba iirc from something I saw or read awhile back. I guess they turn their cars/trucks into floats and when they get intercepted by the Coast Guard after they have been placed into custody the Coast Guard sinks whatever vessel they were using.

20. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

My Dad never mentioned any cars but when he was a diver for the fire department they used to go out to Jupiter Inlet north of the keys for certifying and practice and he was always talking about the big lobsters in the inter-coastals.

21. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

People who hunt and fish aren't necessarily tree-hugging lefties, but that doesn't mean they don't care about the environment.

22. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

There are quite a few tanks and fighter palnes off the coast of Jacksonville and Pensacola. Striped of all the fluids and enviromental hazards. They make great reefs.

23. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

If i remember correctly, isnt that whats left of a car chevy used for a commercial. I couldnt find the video, but it was the one where the car was on a big rock in the ocean, and had waves crashing over it.

Somthing was special about that frame...

24. Louie S.

Louie S.

I know a few good ol boys from Texas that can go get that stuff for ya!;)

25. swi66

swi66

The one at the bottom of the ocean is the famous one, made famous by Bill Cosby with his 200 MPH comedy routine. The accident was going over a cliff into the ocean.

Shelby actually created two Super Snakes. The other was originally sold to comedian Bill Cosby. Cosby returned the car after just one drive, using the fright-inducing experience as material on his comedy album, "200 M.P.H.," said Harley E. Cluxton, a collector who owned the Super Snake sold at Saturday's auction. Writing on the Barrett-Jackson site, Cluxton said Cosby's Super Snake was later wrecked in a road accident in which its driver was killed.

26. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The car was recovered and restored, but it's questionable what, if any, of the actual car was used.

27. Rusty65

Rusty65
    from Florida

gonna have to buy lots of sandpaper...

28. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

At least they can honestly say, "ran when parked". :D

Attached Files:

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

EEEEEESSSSCCCHHHHHHH! you guys. Theyre all off Plymouth.
    My Dad had a friend who was on Siapan and he told of bulldozing radar and radio trucks off the beach into the ocean. When he had em all far enough out they put a weight on the throttle and the dozer committed suicide.