Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Flathead-back from machine shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Dec 9, 2009.

1. IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG My engine had seized, so it was time to have it rebuilt. It is a 49' 8BA. I took it to a local machine shop, and had them put it into short block form for me, I provided all of the parts. The following was done to it:

Deluxe de-grease (with new cam bearings installed)
    Bore cylinders .080
    Polish Crankshaft
    Balance assembly
    Re-size rods
    Valve grind
    Assemble to short block

New Parts:
    4 ring pistons and rings .080
    Rod bearings .010
    Main bearings .010
    Isky MAX1 camshaft, adjustable lifters, new springs, keepers
    Valves-intake and exhaust
    Timing gears
    Oil pump

I then have/or will install the Fenton intake, dual 94's, Edelbrock heads, Fenton cast headers, MSD distributor, and MSD6 box

I am curious what kind of horse power I can expect (I know, it is still a Flathead after all)? I will be installing it into my 40' Ford P/U

Here are some before, and after pics.

2. That looks bitchin'!

3. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Was the block ready strip to remove all rust build up in and around the water jacket area. And did you have the block re surface where the heads bolt on. Looks nice

Thanks
    Frenchy

4. Thanks Frenchy, Yes it was stripped of all rust, that was a big deal for me to have done-as far as the deck surface, it was not surfaced, but was inspected with straight edge and feeler gauge, it didn't need to be done, so wasn't.

5. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

150 HP Give or take......Roach.

6. What is a stock running COMPLETE flathead out of a 50 mercury going for these days????? It is tired but does run and it is complete.

7. coppertone

coppertone

150 screamin' gerbils, more or less. About 25 more than mine.

8. Diavolo

Diavolo

There's one local on Craigslist with a trans attached to it for $1000. Wish it wasn't Christmastime or I'd have another on my garage floor...

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

40FORDPU...thanks for the pics, man you don't see many flatheads like that badboy. i'll bet it realy cranks, please let us know how it doe's in the 1/4...POP.

10. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

looks great ! where did you get those carbs ?
    needs some fuel and oil spred around on it :p

and there is no reason to surface a flathead ! it weakens the deck and threads !
    unless it is absolutely necessary

11. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

"After" pix are beautiful...But I'm interested in the "before". What happened in #'s 2 and 3 that caused the pock marking in the piston tops?
    Fearless

12. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Jealous... very jealous, Excellent job!

13. Thanks everyone for the kind words. As far as those "pock markings", those are from moisture, they were on the surface, and came right off. The block was sitting apart, awhile before I took it in.

14. monkey19

monkey19

man that looks awesome!

15. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

In Joe Abbins new book (you need to get a copy; $25.00 on his website) he dyno'ed a 255 cu/in engine with a Max1 cam produced the following with Offenhauser 400 heads:

140 HP with an Thckston high rise & (2) 94's
    150 HP with an Eldebrock Super dual & (2) 94's
    160 HP with an Offenhauser Triple & (3) 97's

Jim

http://www.roadrunnerengineering.com

16. Thanks Jim, I will.

17. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

18. RAY With

RAY With

Nice looking flatty. I am currently doing a 304 cuin and hope it comes out as good as yours is looking. Thanks for posting.

19. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

It's an excellent read and features 4 complete detailed write-ups on flatty engines testing; first unblown dyno results and then blown results. The engines covered are the John Down's 255, the Honest Charlie/Coker 284, the Abbin "Killer" 276 & Bill Boomers 284 (was for sale don't whether Bill sold it yet).

I particulary liked the heads flow testing information presented in detail for intakes and exhausts for 10 different head sets. Looks like the biggest gains are the result of relieving and porting.

Jim

20. Looks great with the heads and intake painted to match.

21. aldixie

aldixie

Very nice. How much did it cost you to get to the short block stage? I have a 59 block that I want to build up.

22. Thank you. $3,000.00, the machine shop work was $1200.00, internal parts were $1800.00.