Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sewing machine advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Bad67, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 1Bad67

1Bad67

I have narrowed down my search to two Pfaff's. Both are reconditioned by a reputable local shop. Both come with a 1 year gaurantee. The first is a 145 that looks really nice for $1,000. The second is a 1245 that looks a little rougher for $800. He assures me they are both mechanically equal, it's just the difference in apperance that is the reason for the difference in value.

What do the experts say?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are both walking-foot and considered to be good machines in the industry, I don't think you'd be going wrong with either one. I think that the 1245 might be a more modern design, and in this case, is cheaper. Looks are not important. At least that's what my mom tells me.

3. Check each for...Walking foot...reverser.....availability of different presser feet.. throat length.....
    Not really knowlegable on Phaff....Mine is a 225 Consew....Best one I ever owned was a 16-188 Singer...................

4. LAWMAN1932

LAWMAN1932
    from deuceville

Mine is a phaff and it works great

5. I wouldn't know a Pfaff from a Pfart, but my GF has been doing custom auto and marine upholstery for 20+ years and she swears by Juki sewing machines. She wouldn't have anything else as a gift. Couldn't tell ya why, but I'll ask her if you're interested...

6. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

I have a 50 year old 145, got out of time once,that's about the extent of problems. Was really my fault I threaded needle backwards, hadn't used it for a couple years and forgot direction of thread. Old sewing machine repairman said they are one of the best machines ever made.
    Gary

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

FWIW I've got a pfaff 545, which is a bigger bobbin and higher lift foot than a 145 but otherwise the same model.

Looking on the interweb the 1245 looks to be a much newer model. They say on that site it's quieter and the hook is self lubricating, which is nice.

I paid $450 for my pffaf, but they regularly go for around 750 in my area.

I'm no expert, I'm always leery of buying later model machines because its that much harder to find anybody to help you with them, more features=more to go wrong, and in some instances they're made with more plastic and less sturdy parts/gear/etc.

Also sewing machine repair shops are the most expensive place to buy one, in my experience. One of mine came from a guy that was upgrading, and the other came from a factory.

8. 8-Track

8-Track

They sound expesive to me! you can buy a brand new juki for $1200.00 from Alberoni in LA fully assembled and about $100.00 for freight.

Steve

9. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Try both out with some scrap vinyl if you can afford both just buy which ever one feels best. or sew some pleats and buy which ever one sews striaghter.

10. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

pfaff and adler are the best to buy, but they are the most exspensive on parts. compared the jap ones juki are nice. i have a 145 pfaff and adler single needle and a adler double needle. i paid $700 for my pfaff. what kind of motor do these have? are they clutch or servo? if you can get the servo motor put on it for that kind of money. your fingers and material will thank you. you can go so slow with this motor you can count the stitch. with the clutch you have to practice alot to get the hang of it and even then a twitch on your foot and it will take off on you.

Attached Files:

11. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

Trim plants use Juki. Took my aunt 40 years, but she wore out two Pfaff's making doll clothes for her doll hospital. The Juki's are designed for MUCH heavier sewing, like six layers of vinyl or leather. - Dave

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I bought a Pfaff 145 about 40 years ago and it was used, it still works great.

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

If you really look at any of the older industrial sewing machines they are all built very well they just have quirks that are brand specific. Which is why any trimmer will swear by one brand. I love Juki but consew, adler, and singer, and the rest are great machines and after 50 years of use might need some new thread guides and a timing tweak. I'd just make sure you try out the machine your going to buy with materials that you would use on a daily basis.

14. Rs2

Rs2

KrisKustoms is right... check them out with the type of materials you'll be using and go with whats performing the best for you. I recently sold my Consew 226R1 that I had for years and I always had singers (very old ones ) and consews in our shop back in Az. and just purchased a new 1245 Pfaff. tough choice to make on which one to choose out there but after I got the Pfaff.... I love it !!! I'll never look back now !!

15. billygoat67

billygoat67

pfaff machines are the cadi of sewing machines, but try to get a servo motor as socalmerc says. they are much easier to use especially if you are new to upholstery.
    go to most old upholstery shops and the'll have the 145 machine that they started with.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Servo motor all the way. Get one if you can. On industrial machines, it is a independent unit, so one can be swapped in, if needed.

I have a regular motor on my Juki, which makes it plenty hard to use, but I manage. If I get any more stitch work, I will change motors. It is not walking foot either, so I have to build things in layers.

Forever doing things the hard way...

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try giving Ron at Quality Industrial Sew In Grand Island NE. a call. He has been supplying the hotrod industry with machines for over 20 years. He vends at NSRA and some GOODGUYS shows. He has a website under his company name.

18. Stitchn

Stitchn

I have a phaff 545 it has the high lift and the large bobbin. Have been in the buisness for 30 years & my machine has been doing it longer. If both machines sew the way you like I would go with the 1245, the large bobbin is nice so you are not always running out of thread. Also the high lift is nice when sewing many layers. I have had no problems with my phaff, just keep them oiled daily when using and they will last a life time.