Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of well-done 1/2 ton flatbeds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JLeather, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JLeather

JLeather

I'm looking to get serious on my '46 chevy 1/2 ton this winter. The car was my grandfather's decades ago. My uncle started to restore it in the 70's, had it running again, but lost interest and a few years back gave it to me. Truck had a rough life since my grandfather was a farmer. After it wasn't any good on the road it became a farm truck and got used til it dropped. Cab's actually decent, doors are very nice, hood, etc. Need to replace the front fenders (not surprising), but the biggest killer is that there's no bed at all on it. No rear fenders, no running boards, nothing left of the bed.

Since I'm doing this one as sort of an homage I wanted to keep a farm-truck flavor to it and do a nice wooden flatbed in yellow pine. Thing is I haven't come across any pics of 1/2 tons with decently done flatbeds. The frame rails at the rear kick u pretty hard, so til you get the bed level across those it's pretty far above the tires and looks kinda funny. Then what to do about rear fenders.

So, anyone seen a 40's vintage 1/2 ton truck, preferably a chevy, with a nicely done small flatbed? Anyone care to share a pic?

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

My 48 chevy on a s-10 frame. The flatbed is 6-8 inches higher (cab lower?) than it was on the stock truck. The outer frame and part of the rear crossmember are factory pieces. The rear cross member was modified to match the S-10 frame.

Even though I left it rusty (I should have looked for a better truck), the proportions are good enough that it would look nice finished out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Flipper, i usually hate flatbed trucks, but yours actually looks good! good job on the proportions! i like it!

4. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

That truck is sick! I love it.

5. JLeather

JLeather

Thanks man, truck looks real good. Anyone else got a good pic?

6. VespaJay

VespaJay

Here's a couple of pics I've saved from the HAMB. I really love the rounded corners on the red Chevy and want to find one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JLeather

JLeather

Ah HA. That red chevy is a '46 (or a '39-'46 anyway) which is the same truck I'm doing. That is a nice looking bed on it, although I think I'm gonna go all wood on mine with metal stake pockets. Don't suppose you or anyone else snagged a side shot?

8. 41blueoval

41blueoval

I came across this thread. Thought i would share mine. IMG_0182.JPG