Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rules to live by when workin on your Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fortypickup, Mar 11, 2008.

1. If you put a little thinner or reducer in you morning coffee, it will help to build up an immunity to paint fumes and you'll be spraying without a respirator in no time. Also, always stir it in with your dick.

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

3. 29paul

29paul

4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

1. When shipping a carb or water pump, never cover the openings before you fill the packing box with tiny styrofoam peanuts.
    2. If you drop a small part and can't find it. Drop another and watch where it goes.
    3. NEVER take a sample of your part to the part store when buying a new one.
    4. One REALLY THICK coat of paint is much better than several thin ones.
    5. When getting a ride from your buddy with the new Audi with leather seats, forget about phillips screwdriver aiming out of your back pocket.

5. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Unless he's hit in the nuts, which is ALWAYS funny...

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

When you drive your old Jeep station wagon, don't worry about the poorly operating hood latch because when you are driving along at 60 mph and you hit a bump the hood won't open, and the hood strut rod won't pull the radiator back into the fan. Also don't worry about the same thing years later with your old Jeep pickup.

7. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

When you drop your grinder and break off a chip that makes whats left of the grinder wheel look like a cresent moon,,keep using it,,I swear it cuts faster but also grind on a different plane so when it comes loose it'll hit you instead of the masterpeice your working on.

Never use gloves,,

I had a friend come into the shop after I had just oxy/acetylened off a peice of metal. It wasn't glowing anymore and my friend saw it and said "Oohh thats cool" and picked it up,,as he was straightening his back to stand up he dropped the metal quickly back on the floor.
    I asked "Is it hot?".
    He said "No,, I was done looking at it".

8. fieldofcars

fieldofcars

All right guys, I have read every last one and Now I feel qualified to start building on my truck.:D I do want to thank you all for your imput and experances.:) Of course some of these tips I have already experience and or have already seen practiced by others in the family.
    Some I do question as to whether they really work,:confused: so I will have to try to get one of the guys to try it out for me before I do the same. I have so enjoyed the post here and think this is the best place to get good advice.:D Thank you all, this is the best yet.:)

Pam

9. barslazyr

barslazyr

1) When trying out your new 1/2 inch drill, chuck up the the biggest bit you have, lock the trigger and push like hell and see if you can power it out.
    2) Always leave the drop light hooked to the bottom of the car when you pull it out of the garage.
    3) When you use the fire extinguisher up on a fire hang it back up so you knew where it is.
    4) When you get your hot rod done and you want to center the steering wheel don't do it in the shop, take the nut off and lightly put the wheel on the splines and drive around the block, If its off center quickly pull wheel off and turn to center and reinstall
    5) when lying under you car and loosening a bolt over your head make sure your head can reach the spring hanger when you drop the wrench.

10. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

When working on your car laying on your back under it and a venomous centpiede crawls up onto your chest don't try to kill it with a ball peen hammer you happen to have in your hand. And don't try to sit up quickly while still under the car.

Venomous centipedes really are afraid of crazy people with a lump on their chest and blood running down from their heads screaming like a girl at the top of their lungs and run off the other way.

11. 50merc808

50merc808

Always use Spray on paint stripper on a windy day.

12. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah !!!

Especially if it is one of those reduction drills....

...The ones that take forever to wind down........:D

Ricky.

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

When you are soldering a loose wire to the brake switch on a master cylinder that is frame mounted, and you have just stuck your head underneath so you can repair this quickly, you can use your eyeball to catch any molten globs of solder that fall to keep them off the driveway.

14. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

My wife is looking at me like I'm a total idiot... laughing out loud as I'm re-reading this thread.

Some of these are downright hilarious... the funniest part is that they're so TRUE.

15. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Always invite the most dumbest of friends when you need to get something important done on your car.
    Have one operate and test the floor jack and kick away the stands while you're under the car reconnecting a brakeline.
    Have another empty the filled-to-the-brim waste oil tray in the most slippery corner of your garage.

16. 54 savoy

54 savoy

never rent a hub puller just beat it off with a b.f.h. and buy a new one.
    put your 55 chevy in gear,disconnect the shifter and give your drunk buddy tips on how to get it started until it fires and crashes into the garage door.

17. 50merc808

50merc808

when plumbing brake lines ALWAYS put the fitting on BEFORE bending and flaring!:eek:

18. Oh yeah...MUCH better to bend and flare the line before you put the nut on the end! :D

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

No need to get all your measurments BEFORE you beadroll the metal.

Thinwall DOM will not move when you weld it.

You CAN set the front end with a measuring tape.....IDIOT!

Corvette parts are GOLD....Wait and see.

Flip Flops are great welding shoes....

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things that you just welded are rarely every really hot, so strip off those gloves and grab away!

21. When welding or working over the bench grinder, always wear POLYESTER pants and shirt.

22. Beer and weed are very important in the building and maintenance of any of our backyard hot rod projects.
    It should be after 11:00 AM if you live in a white collar neighborhood though.

If SNOWBLOWING is involved, anytime is okay.

23. mac762

mac762

They call it the "three two flue", here. (3.2% beer)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  24. mastadon

mastadon

measure with a yard stick,mark it wih chalk and cut it with a torch!

25. mac762

mac762

Gloves and vise clamps are for sissies when using a drill or drill press. The bare hand is ALWAYS the best in a hurry, that way you can get a FEEL for whats going on.

Being serious for a minute. I would never wear gloves when using a drill press. I'd rather have a cut or burn, that having my hand twisted up in a glove.

26. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

After completely bleeding your brakes, leave the bleeders loose. That way you can evacuate any additional air from the system on your first shakedown run. This little timesaver also ensures you keep a constant flow of fresh brake fluid circulating throughout the entire brake system.

27. Luke, (Kustom Klown), summed it up to me once perfectly.
    If you're running white walls the car can be dirty, you can be stinky and unwashed but those white walls MUST be spotlessly clean.

If your tooling around with your best lady, she must sit in the middle as close as possible to you and all the windows MUST BE DOWN if it's a hardtop.

No exceptions.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  28. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

always say "oh sh!t" when you see blood on the floor

29. Tricky Hickey

Tricky Hickey

When you stay up late looking for parts on the Internet for your Gasser... your wife thinks you're looking at women on FaceBook or MySpace...so she has a Affair with a married man. ( 2 Months )
    THEN when she get's caught....guess who's fault it was that she cheated???
    Don't have that "problem" any more. (Plus I can stay up as late as I want NOW.)

30. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Never Stop welding to check where that pesky little spot of weld went that you just blew through on a quarter panel. It won't fall or burn through that welding blanket that is covering the front seat, melting the corner of the floor mat, burning a 6 inch whole in the carpet, or light that $1500 wiring harness on fire either. Finish weld and then look for smoke under said welding blankets.

Science has proved that welding sparks will not travel behind that fancy welding hood, around those OSHA approved safety glasses into that freshly opened eye. Nor will the welding sparks travel up you leather coat sleeve, into your glove behind a watch band. No that is impossible.

Got to love the HOLY S**T THAT IS F***IN HOT DANCE through the shop