Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's F100 IFS conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevilsCC, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

I just got a 61 unibody that I want to do an IFS conversion on with airbags so the frame sits on the ground, just looking for some ideas on wich way to go. So lets see them pics on how some of you have already done this. Or lets just see some pics of one that you have seen out there.

2. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

3. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

If you want to do that then you need to clip the front. Go find a crown vic for a swap. Check on my friends and there are a couple of guys with unis that have it bagged but its alot of work. Good lick on it though.

4. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Im trying to get one near me and I have a 79 or something Olds 98 in the yard, I was thinking about trying to shorten the frame 4" and give it a go. If I can score this piece Ill let ya know how it works.

5. FONZI

FONZI

PM elpololocko (sp) here on the HAMB. His setup is the Best engineered of all that I have looked into.

6. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

You can do a IFS, you'll need to mod it a bit to lay frame but it can be done no prob. just get a compete IFS from Heidts, fatman or TCI. Oil pans can be tricky but thats all.

7. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

keep me posted on how it goes

8. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

9. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

10. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Ive done a couple with bent/relocated beams but the best result is to clip it or MII kit. Heidts and Fatman make very good kits and Speedway is good on a budget.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

12. 61TBird

61TBird

13. N8B

N8B

I had a buddy BOLT in a ifs from a 03 or 04 crown vic on his unibody frame.
    There was some gusset and welding to be done but it seemed to work well. He drives th piss out of it.
    It did push the track width out. It lowered it 3" but uses struts so there would be more work for bags as noted.
    If your interested PM JFCDUECE.

14. jfcdeuce

jfcdeuce

N8B gave me a heads up on the thread, There are a lot of ways to lower the straight axle F-100's but it really comes down to how you want it to drive etc.

I've got an '04 Crown Vic aluminum cross member in mine, and I like it a lot. It handles great, it's lower than stock, durable, steers great, and 12.4" disc brakes make a big improvment ovet the stock set up. It was also cheap: $275.00 from the junkyard complete hub to hub (if you can find one).

The install is pretty easy, FoMoCoPower's post above shows a lot of the pieces, and some of what's involved. I chose to retain as much of Ford's engineering as possible and boxed out the top of my frame in favor of the tall gussets above. (if it ain't broke)

[​IMG]

The down side is the front end is about 6.5" wider than stock... so high + offset wheels are required, and if you want to slam it and drive it low, really + offsets should be used.

Mine is running 2005+ Mustang Bullets right now (17x8" with a +45mm offset) and i might be able to drop it 1"-1.5" before I have sweep issues.

[​IMG]

Also remember there is fab for motor mounts etc.

[​IMG]

I swapped the rear end too to a 19989-2002 Crown vic rear to help even the track (the CV rear is 65" or so) An 03+ is 69.5" or something which is too much for a uni's bed.

And since you asked about a few other pics, here's a few I've seen low and what info I know..

This one had a Volare front in it...

[​IMG]

No idea what was is this one...
    [​IMG]

this is a TCI or a Fatman I think...

[​IMG]

No idea but who cares anything looks good low on the salt...

[​IMG]

I think this had a Drop axle

[​IMG]

Also check out Slick 60's over at
    http://fordtruk.com/forums/

There is also a wealth of knowledge over there for '61-'66 fords.

15. chaddilac

chaddilac

Jeem's truck is awesome... I love that thing!

[​IMG]

16. supervert

supervert

i just did a s10 clip, cause i already had it. i widened it 6" and then took the 70's f100 rotors and turned off the rotor, installed s10 bearings, and used slip on rotors from a 01 dodge 4x4. it has dropped spindles and 1 coil cut and is about tuckin rim and stil rides great. stock bolt pattern with no adaptors. it did take me about 2 weeks of a couple hours a night.

17. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

hey JFCDUECE thanks for the pics and the ideas your truck looks great if you come across any other pics or front end idea please post them

18. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

ive done 2 with camaro subframes... mid 70's.
    if your wanting to bag it, its the route i would recommend. mustang2's dont do very good on bag imo. not much travel which leads to camber issues and such.
    the camaro clip is a perfect track width and the frame is good width to match to the frame. with a stripped front end you can have one welded up and solid in a weekend. they get tons of lift with very little camber change throughout their range of motion.

i would post pics, but i dont think many would like my trucks style....

19. 306HO5

306HO5
    from AZ

my buddy put a front clip off a 2nd generation dakota on his.then fabbed mounts to put an efi 4.6 with an auto in it.

20. Camaro clip is the way I did it. $400-$500 for a complete clip at your local pick a part. I cut the truck frame right behind the front cab mounts. Trimmed the Camaro frame about a 1/2 on the sides and slid the complete clip in right between the frame rails. Weld in the frame and box it. You can beat it!

Attached Files:

• F100.jpg
      F100.jpg
      File size:
      63.1 KB
      Views:
  21. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Frank dog truck looks good

22. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

i cut mine in front of the mounts... and actually welded half of it to the mount and boxed the mount...

23. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

thanks flatout65 i still want to see some pics of the truck and the install if you got them

24. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

25. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there's a stick of 2x3 behind the plate down the frame. i cut the bottom off the frame so the rocker would lay flat

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  26. supervert

supervert

those pics look about identical to my s10 swap.

27. It's a little messy.:eek:

Attached Files:

28. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

thanks for the pics you guys they are real helpful

29. No nasty negative camber

Attached Files:

30. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Hah,I post the same shit first and someone else gets the credit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.