Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Norman E. Timbs Custom Buick Streamliner

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Apr 26, 2007.

1. roddinron

roddinron

Beautiful! Hard to believe that car was allowed to decline the way it did, great to see it so beautifully restored.

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

truly an amazing car. and a fantastic job on the resto.

3. Merkonic

Merkonic

RE:Buick streamliner-Yeah I like that one too,I could swear there was an article about it in TRJ ? not to long ago.

4. That is a beautiful car.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Oh, yesss! Love the car, and the resto is beautiful. Please shoot some more pictures outside when the weather permits.

6. eye bone

eye bone

7. Wow! Hard to believe what a nice job you´ve done having seen the before pictures.

8. Rikster

Rikster

Always loved that car, and I was so excited when I heard it was found.
    The team that handled the restoration did a fantastic job. The car looks even better now than I had ever thought it would.

I cant wait to see it all finished and outside in natural daylight... with many photo's walking around the car. (yes that is a hint)

Thanks for keeping us updated.
    And have fun with the finishing touches.

9. 666Irish

666Irish

What an amazingly beautiful machine! I hope that the owner enjoys it and drives it.
    I would hate to think of it in a little glass room, or hidden away in an enclosed trailer.

10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

11. rexrogers

rexrogers

The owner plans on drive the car a good bit after its first show the car was restored with driving the car the most important aspect of it. I am heading out to start on the car now should post some pics at the end of the day.

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know where I've been to miss this post.....Very kool build and it is kool that he
    plans on driving it around. Kan you imagine how kool she is gonnna look Cruzing down
    the highway. Looking forward to checking it out.

Happy Trails,

Mick

13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see some videos of this thing running and driving.

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What IS the correct steering wheel for this fabulous car? The last pics still show it with a 40 Ford wheel.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Can you imagine seeing this drive by you back in 1948?

16. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Is it going to the GNRS in January? I would sure like to see it!

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Just an amazing car. The original bodywork looks to have been difficult to accomplish yet flawlessly achieved, as shown in both the original and the recent photos.

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I don't know how I missed this thread. What a stunning work of art. Gorgeous

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I missed it as well.
    THANKS so much for the updates. LOVE it! I also would like to know where the first showing is going to be??? GNRS??

A 5 star thread for sure!

20. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

What an amazing thread. The flow through time and the subject are great; not to mention the original design and the quality restoration work! I hope to see the finished piece of art at a show here in the northwest some time:).

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I just found out it's going to debute at the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in March. Looks like I need to book my flight.:D

https://www.ameliaconcours.org/default.asp

Thanks to Geoff for the phone call with the info. xoxo:cool:

22. rexrogers

rexrogers

Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in March in march is corect for the first time the car will be out since it restoration is complete. a few more shots of the car still need to take the car out and get some good pics of it too cold form me today. The steering wheel will be a bell style wheel with a wood ring just like the orgional one the 40 wheel is temp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  23. rexrogers

rexrogers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a few more pics of the car

24. Hip

Hip

Alright first of all "Rikster", how did you get those last pics in the desert!!!?
    Now my story.............
    I could have had this car!, but, i was more interested in the Sedan Delivery in the background at the time, and thats what i was doing there in the first place. I got a tip off from a buddy of mine, about the delivery, and he dug up, "i believe it was Doug's", (no pun intended), # for me. A deal was struck and i went out there to check it out.
    We hit it off right away, and he said he was either partners with Ron Corvell or his tool/die man. Anyway he moved up to the AV Desert to get away from the rat race of LA, and he sure acomplished that cause he was a good ways off the main road!
    So he lets me walk around his place good 5 acres if not more full of projects, and one of them was the Buick you see here.
    Well to make a long story, LONGER, he told me he had bought it with some other stuff, and all he really knew about it was it was in a magazine at one time, and some sheetmetal troops (i believe he said in the Navy), got together after the war, and created this. (Now this is what he told me so don't jump my ass!:rolleyes:
    He asked me if i was interested in it, and i said "no not right now, i had to much else going on", And he said "i quote" , "IT WILL STILL BE HERE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND, ITS NOT GOING ANYWHERE"! I went back out there one more time to talk to him about some metal forming dies he had, and he really didn't look in the best of health, so i don't even know if he is still with us. He was setting his place up to pass his talents down to his sons.
    Anyways, the next time i saw that streamline, was in a shot of the front of the shop, in "Gone in sixty seconds" COMPLETELY STRIPPED OF PAINT" , I almost choked to death on my popcorn!!!:eek:
    It's a sad story for me, but again i know it will be restored back to its pristene original condition which is gonna cost alot of time and MONEY!!!, which i havent got either. Oh, by the way i was gonna pay a lot less than 17,000 for it, more like $1300.00. I believe we talked about.
    So back to the original question......... "Rikster", how did you get those last pics in the desert!!!?
    Heres mine......."Rikster", how did you get those last pics in the desert!!!?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Hip

Hip

Hey!, i noticed something interesting from "Riksters", pics. I had not piced up my delivery yet! "The plot thickens!!!"[​IMG]

26. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I just have to say wow. Car, story and the fact that its coming back. Wow.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  27. Rikster

Rikster

I think I found those photos online at the site where the car was auctioned at. Perhaps it was RM... not sure anymore.
    I think it was Geoff Hacker who pointed it out to me.

Rex, those outdoor photos are amazing. Thanks for sharing them, and thanks for your email.

28. rodncustom

rodncustom

29. rexrogers

rexrogers

Some one asked what the tires size was the tires are 7.10 - 15 on 5 1/2" wide rim and yes they are Firestone.

I would love to find out how the car ended up in the desert the info on it drops off after 1950 the car had a corvair steering wheel on it when it was found and a lot of the body was modified. the current owner did a lot of Restoration to the sheet metal and completely rebuilt the drive train our shop just picked up where he had left off and finished the project.

Rex

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Rex, I'd also like to thank you for posting all the photos of the car. You guys did an amazing job on it. You should be very proud. Please pass along my congrats to Dave for the breathtaking job his shop did.

Denise Sheldon