Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering question on a 35-40 chassis--the rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earl schieb, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Tail draggers just don't look right unless...well....they're draggin' tail. I want mine to squat, and I want to NOT mess something up.

What I've got is a stock 40 rolling chassis.
    All the searches I've done tell me either to go parallel leaf with blocks(too much $$$ right now), reverse eye the main leaf on the buggy spring(lotsa trouble for, what 2"?), or use long shackles(and weeble-wobble down the road at speed--no thanks).
    I've been looking at this thing, and I'm really wondering why can't I cut/flatten the rear spring crossmember? :confused:
    Only thing that scares me....will hammering the back that much cause a problem with the torque tube/joint? What am I missing---it can't be THAT simple?
    Thanks in advance ;)

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Axle from the shifter flattened the rear crossmember like you are saying. He located exactly where he wanted the car to sit, measure then flattened the crossmember that amount of inches. Sound like a good idea to me if you body off the frame.

For my 35 it's not really an option unless I want to get balls deep. I ended up going with Vern Tardel shackles and reversed eyes......I am not building a tail dragger though. I am going for the Hot Rod look.

I think the flattened crossmember is a solid option for you and you should contact Axle and ask him what issues he ran into.

3. gregorymgump

gregorymgump

mono leaf spring

4. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

How much drop do you want? Flattening the crossmember is a good idea but the axle will probably contact the bump stops on the frame just about everytime you hit a bump, if you have significant drop. I put a 5" c-notch on my 36 frame with provisions for bump stops and I'm running parallel leaves with blocks (you're right, them suckers ain't cheap). Nows the time to do it if the frame is bare. Of course, this affects the floor!

Also, if you're gonna run transverse spring and drop it, watch out that the spring doesn't hit the frame too!! Some pics of mine:

Attached Files:

5. Rusty

Rusty

Flattening the crossmember will get it down but here comes the leaks form the torque tube

6. This was what I was looking for---Thanks Rusty ;) Care to expound on that?

7. Rusty

Rusty

I flattened mine on the 32 and it started leaking, I installed the tardel seal to stop it and it still leaked past, I would remove leaves till ytou have the car sitting where you would like it ot the desired ride height. then i would get a angle finder on the torque tube to make sure it is still going up hill slightly and not down. MIne ended up going doen a couple degrees. Had to raise back up slightly. Hope that makes sense