Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I found this hiding in the top drawer of one of my old tool box's
    Nice Surprise!
    [​IMG]

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Harley Gene has pics of it from this years Winchester old timers.. It was on a trailer, behind an old Ford truck that carried the American Flag around the track for the National Anthem..

Also, Sham has a BIG board of pictures and news paper clipping that he sets next to the car. But, Sham's not a computer guy. :D

JD

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Ha! Thought I had pictures of Sham's board.. and I found them in my computer.. NICE!

Here ya go. These pics of the car, were before my old man did the lettering on it of coarse.

JD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Might throw in a can of Barr's Leak for good measure.

5. CobraBall

CobraBall
    from N. Texas

P-6, Rollie Beale, looks like a Caddy or Lincoln
    719, Joy Fair, Hemi,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

a lot of the articles came from the library in bloomington. i know we won a lot in 1975 there an maybe 8 or 9 in a row. had to win, they only paid $300 to win. lol. calvin never took a dime he just loved to race there. yes he did get paid at the burg and tri-state. is there any pic's of lettering? wish the nerfs and leffler bumper where changed. the car did have a leffler bumper in usac.

7. The Corngrower speaketh and you shall have it....Winchester Old Timers 2009....this is about the only car Roy DIDN'T drive that weekend...lol

HG :cool:

Attached Files:

8. Rotta14

Rotta14

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Harley Gene! I'm not sure why the lettering was done in that manner, (a lil different from the pics) Sham must have asked for it that way or had a picture of it like that cause my old man is as picky as I am about being correct. :D

Thanks,

JD

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

15 deg., a dusting of snow and as I look out the window I see ugly, leaf-less trees framed by uglier steel grey skys. :(

Sooo.... let's go back to a hot and sunny Labor Day at DuQuoin 1967. Where B. Unser and McCluskey lead a field,of mostly Offys, past short sleeved railbirds on a dusty but, otherwise, well prepped track.

O.K. I feel better now. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Love those old pace lap photos, Rootie. I feel better, too.

Harley Gene, thanx for the Winchester photo. It takes me back to a much simpler time.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Rootie! lol! I made Engine noises when I looked at that picture! :D

13. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Rootie,great shot of the #12,don`t have many from 67.

14. chrissmith19

chrissmith19
    from cincy

thanks for the pic. i'm with you josh, i'm anal when it comes to decals and a few other things. car looks good.....

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Working my way through the 417 pages.

On page 37 post # 731 the second row of photos far right, the car in the foreground.

Can anyone I.D. it and/or engine?

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Same page #37 post # 739, picture of the Ansted Rotary Special.

Any one know what products that company made?

Was there any connection to the much earlier Ansted Engine Company that built engines around 1920 for several car manufacturers?

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's a long read, but yes, there is a connection

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/central/central.htm

The Ansted family continued to be involved in the automobile business as late as the mid-1960s. William B. Ansted Jr. the son of Central Manufacturing Co.’s president, campaigned a Kurtis Kraft 500/Offy racecar called the Ansted Rotary Special at the Indianapolis 500 in the late 50s (1955-1963) and early 60s and co-owned A.J. Foyt’s Indy entries in the mid-to-late 60s (1965-1966) with Shirley Murphy.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Right on, Rootie! One of my most prized relics is an autographed photo of Pat O'Connor in the Ansted Rotary Special. It sits in a special place backing up a diecast of that car. Pat befriended a chubby nine-year-old NSSN salesman when he was running hardtops at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome and he was my first real racing hero. I was in Japan with the USAF Security Service when he was taken from us in 1958. Cried like a baby.

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Thanks Rootie. A very long but interesting read that establishes the connection.

Now I'm still curious as to what products Ansted Rotary Engineeing made or developed.

Perhaps rotary air compressors or valves? Must have been an industrial product of some sort.

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREETINGS from across the pond! These were sent to me by GREG SMITH.

He's into some neat shit! And he's watching/reading, so.. Hi Greg, and thanks.

Attached Files:

21. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

When I recently purchased a midget, up in Lansing, MI, I posted some images on this site of other cars the guy had waiting to be retsored. One such car was the rear engine Indy Car you see here, or another one - can't tell. Greg PM'd me and asked if the car was for sale. I gave him the gentleman's phone number and he bought the car. The strength of this thread is unbelievable.

This thread also gave me contact info on the last owner/driver (1979) of my midget.

Blacki-Suede

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Ditto to what 28dreyer said, Rootie! 'Have always liked that racing name; the Ansted-Rotary Special and the long history that the family endured. But, of course, there's one name that trumps all other sponsors and quirkey racing names:......The Sheraton-Thompson Special......'Sometime if anyone get's a chance I'd like to know what exactly and how that name came to be and what followed as A.J. Foyt's ITT-Thompson Spl's. And Oh, BTW Rootie, 'what was the temp today???

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I think it hit a balmy 8 deg. today :(:(
    What little I know about the S-T spl. is that around 1963 Geo. Bignotti sold out his operation, after splitting with Foyt, to Bill Ansted and Shirley Murphy (a man BTW) who owned Thompson Industries. The Sheraton part was just as a sponsorship, I believe, as the ownership was usually listed as Ansted-Thompson. Bignotti stayed on as crew chief and, of course, Foyt came back into the fold. Along the way I think Foyt bought into the operation more and more but really don't know the chronology of all that.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Went to the first annual IMIS trade show today in Indy. They started it up since the "Genius'" in charge moved it from the Racing Capitol of the World to Florida.. Well, now it's back.

...and "SPEEDY" BILL SMITH had the PERFECTLY restored Lil' Joe's Mechanical rabbit on display. Hand lettered, original NOS rubber... Perfect.

(note good ol' "Speedy" Bill himself sitting in the background in the purple shirt, and his ever present Black hat)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ain't actually back, Josh. The PRI show will stay in Florida. This is a new one set up by some Indy people, and Tony bought into it. Looks like it's going to take off.

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Correct.. I worded that wrong. Like I said, it's the IMIS show, and it was the first annual. I was glad to see Tony, Mr. Stoops and a few others behind it as well. I enjoyed the PRI show when it was in Indy, Columbus, and even Cincinnati.. Sucked when it moved. Now it's back in a metaphorical way.. :D

The vendors I wanna see, are back in Indy at a huge trade show in the dead of winter.. perfect!

jd

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Dec. 3rd 1964, Bobby Marshman died from injuries recieved while testing at PIR.

Attached Files:

28. cg5

cg5

Perfectly restored by John Layne & Mark Randol from Kansas City.

Curt Grogan

29. Josh, in pic #2 of the Mech.Rabbit, what is that type of steering arrrangement?? Purpose &/or advantage??
    mlight9.

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The drag link(s) pivots near the radius rod pivot point to reduce bump steer.

Attached Files: