Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don't see much about 46-48 Chevy's here...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by historynw, Dec 1, 2009.

1. historynw

historynw

for some reason they just seem so overlooked. I saw some of the custom photos here. Pretty KQQL but not a big demand. They seem almost unwanted, even vendors don't carry a lots of specific stuff. I've spent hours searching for stuff, maybe I'm missing something. :(

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 41-48 Chevrolet cars are everywhere and have a great following. Just because it is not their turn to be the "car of the year" on the covers of magazines doesn't mean they aren't around and aren't being built by hundreds, thousands(?), of rodders around the country and the world. Parts are readily available unless you are looking for external trim strips, rare accessories, etc.

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

And what about Bombs then?
    Most are 40s chevys arent they?

5. humpie

humpie

Maybe it's because they are bulky looking,or look heavy,or front suspension.one friend here built a chopped one and it looks fine.another is building one.both look fine.I feel like more will show up and put them in the popular catagory:cool:

6. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

http://www.iandireproduction.com/ Call this place! The woman who owns it will tell you where to buy everything for these cars if she doesnt have it in stock. Really nice.

7. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I feel your pain, I have a 46 Chevy truck and it is hard to find aftermarket parts for it. It takes a lot of hunting to find what you need.

8. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I have built one and in the process of building another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. boldventure

boldventure

The first car I really remember was a '48 Chevy. In New York the rust demon probably claimed many. Remember too Chevies had 6's and were not always thought of as the "hot set-up".

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I think it's easier to find old Chev. parts than it is to find old Merc. parts ?

11. nutajunka

nutajunka

I built one and said never again. Those are some heavy cars to me. I guess I just like lighter cars. Mine was a 48 aero owned by a factory rep. had every option availble. Black,chrome,and stainless.

12. Heratic 1

Heratic 1

my younger brother just dropped one off at my house on his way overseas. looks cool, but it is a little rough, and there is a ton of bondo in it. hopefully i can get it straightened out for him before his return to the land of the free.

13. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

46-48 chevys are a bit more rare than 49-54. a friend of mine says "you got to dig deeper to restore a 48"...

here's my 48. should be running early next year. can't dig too deep at the moment to restore it...

[​IMG]

14. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I'm building one.
    I have it ready to shoot I just got distracted chopping a '46 Dodge Pk. I've done alot of metal mods. We need a Group that we can meet in.

Attached Files:

15. COS

COS
    from KCMO

They are here and there but I agree I don't think they get the respect they should... You never seen any of them in the little books... I guess there was the Cove custom and maybe one or two others I have seen in the little books but not like a lot of other body styles... I have been snatching pics from the net for years on them... What can I say I am kind of partial to them....:eek:

-COS

16. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

The problem is you have to cut on them to get the most out of the awkward styling & shapes. But that goes for other more desirable cars too. I just got a new case of SawZaw Blades!! Lets start a Group!

17. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo credit to notstockphotography.com

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

There are plenty of aftermarket parts for them... and there's a thread somewhere on the HAMB devoted to them... but yeah, they're not as common as the 46-48 Fords... which don't have the grace of the Chevys in my opinion

try
    filling station
    chevs of the 40s
    kanter
    obsolete chevy
    etc

19. historynw

historynw

Man that car just makes me shiver its really KQQL. I've got a few months and colors to pick yet. I love the dash, it all about having those 40's things. My tin guys son has his pit as the shop the dog would lick me to a crumb if I let him. The look so vicious :rolleyes:. I love green the color of money. I was planning on putting on a "country club kit" (I like woods) and painting mine a maroon (merlot) color. I have a grey interior that my interior guy was going to add some leather to. I plan on going with artillery wheels probably a off matching color or just all chrome. I want the old look with the new convenience. I'm getting old but that power Caddy seat was like a couch.

20. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Heres a few i like aswell...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. infamous62

infamous62
    from Lompoc Ca.

heres mine....

[​IMG]

22. infamous62

infamous62
    from Lompoc Ca.

23. historynw

historynw

Thanks guys, the "Bombs" are great. I guess I'm trying to bring a little of all the of the 40's to my area on the East Coast. I admire the ingenuity of the builder, restorers and just plain builders of the 42-48 Chevys. If you own one you begin to like one. Pre-war to Post-war it carried the auto business back. I keep finding more tidbits about these cars from many sources. People forget these models were made or exported around the post war world.

24. edsel

edsel

Mine is a 1948 sedan delivery hope to get to it someday.

Attached Files:

25. edsel

edsel

I almost forgot the 1946 sedan delivery used to drive it alot but needs a new engine and have to many other projects.

edsel

Attached Files:

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like 'em. Especially the coupes. The fattest of the fat-fendered cars. And they're really not heavy, as someone stated. They're actually about 600 lbs. lighter than a late '60s Camaro....and a smallblock Chevy engine is lighter than the original six...think about that. There's a lot of open space under those panels. The box-section frames are nice and strong. I've always loved the '40s customs, and these make good-uns. California chop...Buick teardrop headlight bezels...Cadillac dagmars...some skirts...yeah. It's true though, not as popular as some models, and consequently less expensive than others. I've heard more than one mag journalist wonder why they aren't more popular. I've got one from Oklahoma, that I completely disassembled. Super straight and solid. - Rick

27. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Yep therenot that heavy i looked up my fleetline's factory weight and it was under 3,200 lbs about what a nova is now thats sleeper right there.

28. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I'm debating wether to take my '48 off the frame. The rest is basically done,,it'd really finish it off. Last night I laid under it and replaced the spring bushings. Had to use the smoke wrench.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  29. Rattlepopbang

Rattlepopbang
    from Va beach

I love mine!It was my fathers ride!

Attached Files:

30. A local legend had one and in the last few years it was sold and we lost tack of it and I am sincerly interested in it's whereabouts and avalability. The only picture I have at this time is this, but I believe I have more, will post later. Any help on the where abouts would be helpful. The car was in Guthrie, OK for 40 years and was sold in the early 2000's? 1942 Chevrolet Buisness Coupe, saw duty as the Logan County Sherriffs car in the war era, civilian duty untill our friend bought this car as a youth at the tender age of 10! The flames were there when I first saw the car and I was 11! This guy was a gearhead from the womb and managed to form a car club and had numerous cars before his short zest of life ended at the age of 17. His brother had the car for the last25-30? years and sold it. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]