Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrong size glass in a '57 Ford Fairlane?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

The glass I bought for my car seems to be the wrong kind...?!?
    All I can think is maybe they sent me truck glass? There is at least a 1 inch gap overlay, and the sides don't seem deep enough. (The truck is the only model that could be larger, as the fairlane and convertables had the same windshield)
    I can't imagine it being the right glass...? It doesn't seem to fit flush w/o the gasket either.
    [​IMG]

The numbers on the glass were:

DW486CLN

and

2708-1 noucapo2jcw4068

The gasket seems to fit, so I don't know?!?
    Please help!
    Who has changed the glass in a '57/'58? How much "force" is required?

THNX!

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I put my own glass in. The Fairlane 500 has a lower roof than my Ranchero. Looks
    like you have one of those.

3. One of my books shows W486 as 18 inches by 76 inches Ford 57-58 2 and 4 door hardtop,57-58 convertible,57-58 Fairlane and Fairlane 300 2 & 4 door sedan,Edsel 58 2 & 4 door sedan,Edsel Ranger & Pacer 2 & 4 door hardtop & convertible. Hope this helps especially the 18 high measurement.

4. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Hmmm yea, I just measured the gap- It's about 15 inches, whereas the glass (with gasket) is about 18 inches. Come to think of it I had to stretch that gasket waaaay out to get it to fit- Shoulda thought more about that-

So does anyone know what glass number I do need?

5. ratster

ratster

wish we were closer, i got a new one for my wagon and its to small, we could have traded

6. Both of my books show only 2 windshields for 57 Fords and both are supposed to be 18 inches high. W486 and W489. You would think that a 57 2 door hardtop would have a lower roofline and subsequent shorter windshield....Anybody else have some info as per measurements?

7. old beet

old beet

The measurements in the glass book are always to the even number over the real size. So if a W/S is really 16 1/8 or 17 7/8 the book will say 18 inches. Looks like you have a W489 for sedans?

8. You may have one for a Custom 300,they are smaller.

9. Darling Danika

Darling Danika
    from sacramento

Glad to know I'm not the only one having glass problems! I have a 62 and am having a heck of a time finding glass that will work since it's been chopped, thanks to the dumb ass that cut the roof wrong!!!