Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet Assembly Plant in Oakland, CA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShastaStyle, Sep 4, 2009.

1. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Curious to know if anyone happens to have any old photos of the Oakland, Ca. assembly plant that was in operation from 1916 to 1963? I understand that it was at the corner of 73rd Ave and Foothill Blvd, which was later turned into the Eastomont Mall in the late 60s. I was trying to track down an old photo since my 59 Apache was assembled at the Oakland plant.

2. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow didn't they also turn the old ford plant in milpitas in to a mall to.....

3. I think it was on east 14th st. not foothill. Nope you're right it was Foothill. Eastmont Mall now

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

Thats where my 52 was assembled!!!

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland,_California Scroll down to 1920's I remember a building on east 14th st. and Pontiac st., right at the San Leandro Oakland border, that I was told was a GM assembly plant. They might have made trucks though. I did a Google search for it, and it looks like the building is gone, just new businesses using the Durant name.

6. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Thanks for the links! Hard to believe that 1917 picture would be the only one out there. My search continues!

7. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

No, I think that is a differnt plant that was built later in San Leandro. I still haven't found any pics of the original Oakland plant, but I can say that I'm definitely not going to follow through with my idea of getting a photo op of my truck at it's "birth place"after researching the area more. As previously mentioned the old site of the plant is now the Eastmont Town Center, which in today's world is located within the "killing zone" of Oakland where 100+ homicides take place each year! Yikes!!:eek:

[​IMG]

8. highlander1732

highlander1732

Not sure where it was, but my '60 Biscayne VIN shows it was produced there. Anyone know how to tell what day a car was made without having the build sheet?

9. Drove through there the other day had to divert off 105 due to police crime scene tape. I was about 9 pm on a Sunday. I suggest a morning shot for the photo- most of the bad guys are sleeping in (sleeping it off ) until around noon.
    PS Take a friend; he or she should be watching your back while uoy look through the lens.

10. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

relatives worked at BOTH plants...

all of the area between the coliseum and zoo is still pretty dangerious.

11. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Last time I was in Oakland, I got lost, In what I see now was the "Killing fields" realized I had taken a wrong turn, I pulled into the "Hood", to trun around, Mother You know what, we dont belong here....saw 2 drug deal's going down, on the cornors, I could not get out of there fast enough.... And the Raders play a few block from there......would not want to go to a night game.

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

How do you figure out where it was built?I though i saw something in lmc I will have to check!

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My shop is off of 85th just about where the right-side upright in that H in 85TH AVE. on that map!

It is a killer neighborhood for low-rents!:D

14. 3onthetree

3onthetree

Look at the trim tag on your firewall. Right above the style number (upper left hand corner) you will see two numbers and 1 letter. The numbers are the month 01 = January, 02= February etc. The 3rd digit is the week of the month A= 1st week, B=2nd week, C=3rd week, D=4th week. So, 06A was built in first week of June.

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

hell your not far from the old mothers cookies plant huh?I have a few customers over there!

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, sure am, on the other side of the dead freight spur that runs behind it.

I can see the Sunshine Biscuit Factory sign from my parking lot.:D

17. TomWar

TomWar

Kinda O/T
    Any of you guys remember, I think it was E 12th St and about Seminary, there was a Liquor store run by an old couple. They were held up constantly, and I think they shot and killed about 12 robbers. Back in the 50's.