Register now to get rid of these ads!

New burt munro book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick-the-kiwi, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Just picked up the latest book on Burt Munro & am just blown away. Written by Roger Donaldson, the same guy who made the movie & it comes with a dvd showing the original documentry (offerings to the god of speed) and many movie extras. The first 250 pages are about Burt & full of photos, some colour some black & white the last 40 pages about the movie & again full of pictures, now i guess i should go & read it.
    IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sweet. One more thing to add to my list for the fat man.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

wow---I'm interested in that

4. Just quickly flicked through book what a great collection of photos a must have for any Burt fan. By chance it just so happens that the Burt munro challange is currently on in Invercargill New Zealand this weekend. I must alpoligise for not using capital letters in Burts name in the title of this thread my excuse i was so excited.

5. noboD

noboD

If you've read The Legend of Speed by George Begg let us know how this compares. George Begg was a close firend of Burt's, and also a test driver for McClaren race cars.

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

That book will be on my christmas list for sure. We have watched the Worlds Fastest Indian at least 100 times. Great story and great movie. I'm so glad they got such a stellar cast to make Burt's movie.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

7. I watch the Documentart twice to each time I watch the movie.

Going to have to find the book over here somewhere, thanks for the heads up.

8. Mooseman

Mooseman

9. This book in my opinion has the best set of photos, here is a sneak peak. Once i have read the book i will be able to compare to the previous two books.
    IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

10. Everytime the movie is on,I HAVE to watch it! So i'll have to get me a copy of the book too! Thanks Nick.

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Soooo---is there any more of you Kiwis down there building something fast on your chicken shed?

12. Hell yeah!

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. I'll have my wife add it to my list of stocking goodies.

15. Nethery

Nethery
    from Palm Coast

Worlds fastest indian is my favorite movie. By far.

16. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

I'm hoping all you Kiwi's have been to the Te Papa Museum in Wellington. The wife and I went to NZ about 4 yrs ago for holiday. I didn't really want to go to the museum but the first thing I saw when we walked in was John Brittens #1 on display with Burts bike sitting on the floor nearby. The wife left me there for a couple of hours, just starring.
    I hadn't seen the movie at that time but I knew about it. That Indian is incredible and I got to within about 3' of it (1 meter).
    I hate to admit it but I had never heard of John Britten until then, but I just literally couldn't take my eyes off the bike. Everything about it was different and really well engineered.
    I think they were on permanent display but I'm not really sure. If you haven't seen them you gotta make the effort and go.
    I need that book.

17. mow too much

mow too much

I enjoy the movie so much I will probably not get the book....................no need ruining the movie with facts.;):D

18. cool , now i need to get one for christmas!!

19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Ha Ha! I thought so...

20. Great Movie! Has anybody ever heard if a sequel to the WFI movie is planned? Surely, there is enough history and facts for a second movie. Any thoughts?

Murph:cool:

21. noboD

noboD

I would doubt it very highly. The movie was a condensed version of all the years he raced, as if it happened in one year. Read the book, it's WAY more realistic. And there's way more in it, like when he riveted the holes shut in the pistons from experimenting with a lean mixture of nitro.

22. is it availble in u.s.?

23. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Oh snapples. Gonna have to grab this. I'm so psyched on the OG doc "Offerings to the God of Speed". Movie's super good as well but dig the documentary more.

24. Ok so I have had a chance to check this book out properly. As the title states, this book is a scrapbook of Burts life. There is no story line like in "One good run by Tim Hannah" nor is it a written documentry like in " Indian legend of speed by George Begg". It is made up mostly of photographs from various sources including Burts own scrapbooks (the collection now in possion of his son John Munro was reduced by fire some years ago.) It also has transcripts from many tape recordings that make intresting reading & Marty Dickerson has contributed greatly with all sorts for this book. In addition has newspaper articles, certificates, awards, letters & much much more.
    This book is a great addition to my growing collection of Burt Munro memerobilia & I belive it is more suited to the true enthusiest rather than those who saw the movie & thought it a great story (only my opinion).
    The Book is published by Random House New Zealand www.randomhouse.co.nz

25. noboD

noboD

Thank you for the comments, sounds like something I need.

26. I have sent the publishers an email regarding where the book is available in the USA I will post the reply once received.

27. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

That movie just blew me away I watch it every time I see it on TV.

28. kisam

kisam

Probably the best movie I have ever watched. I made my 83 year old Mother watch and she was saying "I don't want to watch a movie about motorcycles". After watching, it was all she talked about for a week!

29. Ok below is a copy of the email sent to me by the publishers of book
    Dear Nick,
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately “ The World’s Fastest Indian” by Roger Donaldson is not distributed in the USA- copies are only available in NZ at this time.
    All copies contain the bonus DVD. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.
    Kind regards,

30. My mom, said the same thing! I had my nephew convince her, he wanted to watch it, which he did, then she wouldn't leave the room. She thought it was great.:D