Register now to get rid of these ads!

C9 ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retorq, Nov 23, 2009.

1. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Terrible loss to all of us. His stories, wit ,humor and friendship will be greatly missed!
    Bobby Davis

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brigrat
    I think we should retire his Avatar & C9 name here on the HAMB.

Would be nice to have a HAMB Hall of Fame with HambAndy and C9 rite at the top...................

3. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

I haven't posted in a while, and don't have much to add to the sentiment that has been expressed already. I just stumbled upon this thread, and was instantly saddened. Like most of you, I didn't know Jay, but miss him already.

On this evening before Thanksgiving, his passing drives home the fact that we'd all better give thanks for, and appreciate everything and everyone that's important to us. We sometimes take our blessings for granted, and fail to realize how fragile our existence is.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Jay's wife and family. RIP Jay.

Woody

4. .
    From bad things come happy memories.

And rolleda round on the floor laughing when at Mearle's (Drive in restaraunt featured in the Pinky story) I ordered a burger AND Sundae.

5. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Deb.

Way cool post about your Daddy and growing up with him.

I am sharing your grief as are others as many have stated already.

Happy Turkey day and set a plate for C9 as he is there as you said.

Thinking of warm winds, best wishes and a lifetime of sunshine to you and your Family and Friends.

Deb, thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.....my Daddy is 85, still kicking and an old hot rodder, I hug him every time I visit, he lives close to me and I love him more than myself.

Warmest regards.

Richard.

6. Mopar34

Mopar34

Condolences to C9's family. I just found out about this today since I have been away from the forum for a while. I used to banter with C9 on another site as well as here. I will miss his comments and criticisms and his laughter.

Deb, I don't have to tell you this, but your dad was one great guy. I will miss him also.

7. Only just heard the news as well. Deepest condolences to you and the family, Gay. Jay was one of the originals of 'Internet rodding'. Never got the chance to meet him, but it feels like we were old friends.

RIP :(

8. Sweetie here, There are no words {but I'll try anyway} to tell all of you how much your posts comfort me and mine. I am going to print them and keep them close. You have shown me so many different sides of my beloved, sides that I knew were there, but all of you have made them alive. more than many thanks

9. Spooky

Spooky

That is a heart breaker.
    C9 was one of the best at writing.
    I loved/love his work.
    Thanks for the memories Jay

10. I am very sorry to read this and am so sorry for his loss, he was great guy. He just p.m.'d me at 12:39 that same day about some slot wheels I recently purchased.
    He will continue to be with us in our memories, god speed to ya Jay.

11. My condolences to you and your family. Jay was one of the reasons I quit lurking on the HAMB and signed up. He was truly generous with his help and gracious with his advice and experience. He was one in a million and will be missed.

Dave

12. Blue

Blue

Hi Deb, I've been reading through all the posts with blurry vision coming and going but this one tipped me over.
    Sincere condolences to all Jay's family.

Like many others I loved his stories on the HAMB and proudly have California Hot Rodder on my bookshelf.
    He had an uncanny ability to put the reader on the spot of whatever tale he was telling. Storyteller extrordinaire!

Ride on C9. You are remembered with smiles.

13. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Here's one that fits.

Stories like this get carried a long way into the future.
    A generous gift of time from an old gunsmith that won't be forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was about ten my pals and I used to roam the Ventura, California hills and riverbeds with our BB guns.
    We seldom shot anything more than tin cans and the main thing was simply carrying the gun as part of your equipment.

Said equipment also consisting of WW 2 canteen, first aid kit and pistol belt.

Nothing quite like heading for the military surplus store on the edge of town where a tree bucks could get you an armload of neat stuff.

Anyway, my BB gun, a Red Ryder lever action style lost the nut to the cross bolt at the rear of the sheet metal - receiver? - which led to the loss of the bolt.

I was on a solo hike and walked down out of the hills, across the high school campus - on a Saturday - crossed Main St and went down a block to the gun shop across the street from the girl's playfield.

I asked the old gunsmith if he had a bolt that would fit.

After frowning a little bit, he said, "no."

He did tell me if I could leave the rifle for a couple days he could probably fix it.

I agreed, he filled out the claim tag, gave me my half, set the BB gun in the rack with the 'real' rifles and I left.

A few days later I went in to pick up the gun and it had a nicely blued bolt & nut in place.

I had a dollar and asked how much, he smiled and said, "no charge."

A couple other guys in the shop were smiling when I went out the door.

For a little bit I thought they were smiling at the kid in the gun shop with a mere BB gun, but later I realized they were just being friendly and liked what the old gunsmith had done.

I've thought about that small act of generosity over the years and figured the gunsmith wanted the gun in his shop because he probably didn't have the hardware grade bolt for the repair.

57 years later and I remember it like it was yesterday....
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

i read this story from c9 and was smiling thinking what a cute story it was, i could see the old men in the gun shop smiling, i can imagine what they where thinking,
    i do the same for kids when i can.
    very touching story, then i remembered reading here, of c9,s passing some time ago.
    wow, really weird feeling i got all the sudden, like somebody some where was smiling at me.
    it touched me enofe to post this.
    condolences to his family and friends.
    godspeed c9
    <!-- / sig -->

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m sorry to hear that! I never met him in person, but I enjoyed what he wrote and he often gave me some good advice.
    Rest in peace

15. Such a great loss. He was a true legend, I'll miss his incredible posts, about a wonderful life in a hot rod world, with a very loving family.:(

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

wow, just read about it.I liked his writings and he immediately dated himself to my era and I knew he was an oldtimer ca. guy. we dont know from day to day so .we better 'get out the roadster' as much as we can! So sorry,I will miss his writings dave 39cent

17. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Really sad news. Like the rest of you I really enjoyed his input.
    RIP Jay.

ri

18. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

We’ve been out of town for Thanksgiving, just now getting back home to the HAMB. Stumbled on this thread, reread it hoping maybe it was a mistake, or something. I feel robbed, stunned. . . my wife's and my prayers to Sweetie, the girls, and the rest of the family.

As many have said, I never met Jay either, but truly enjoyed his great stories and down to earth approach to hot rodding and Life in general. A master at painting word pictures, a warm, friendly, and humble man. I always looked forward to seeing his avatar, knowing a great thought, idea, story, or gem of wisdom would be attached.

So hard to even comprehend. I take comfort in thinking he’ll be right alongside of me in my coupe, watching, laughing, bringing his energy to me and the car.

Right foot to the floorboards, Jay! May the warm breezes blow through your hair, the rumble of the engine soothe you, the ever blue horizon rise up to meet you on that endless stretch of road in that glorious Place we all want to be. Thanks for everything you did for all of us. God speed!

GA

19. My heart felt condolences to you any yours. I never had the pleasure of meeting Jay in person but considered him a cyber friend. He was always quick with information that would help anyone be tech or just a different approach to a task. He touched many lives some he may not have even been aware of. He will be missed by many.......

Good speed and heres hoping heaven is always roadster weather.

Tim

20. desertdroog

desertdroog

C9 was an asset to this community and reading his writings and tech or whatever knowledge he wanted to share was a complete joy.

My sincerest condolences to you, he was a great man from the little I knew of him, spoke lovingly of his family and was one of the true passionate hot rodders I've had the luxury of interacting with on this site.

21. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

He will be missed. Gay and family are in my prayers.

22. Spike!

Spike!

Just found this post this morning. I was always an admirer of his photography and writing here on the HAMB. He will be missed. Prayers to his family.

Spike

23. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I just re-read the thread here...

C9 and I chatted on a wide range of stuff. We chatted about his Ford F-150 Super Crew truck when he bought it. At the time we owned a 2001 F-150 Super Crew that my wife drove daily and his Sweetie would be driving the Ford.

I once posted that if C9 wrote a thread titled :" Sweetie's clothes washer made a whirl - buzz- clang-bang noise" ... I would read that thread because I knew there would be some interesting stuff in there..:D

24. Merge

Merge

Like others I never met him in person, but enjoyed reading his stories and tips he offered to all of us. Rest in peace.

25. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have just returned from a CA trip. Spent a night in Kingman and thought of Jay. I never met him, and would have been too shy to contact him. I truly enjoyed his writings and was just shocked to return to this news. What a loss. I did see a reference to his "book". I was unaware of it. Bet it is worth having. My regards to his family. Joe

26. I've just heard of this today! I'm saddened to hear of his passing. Never met the man nor spoke directly to him but knew he was a quality guy from his posts of which I enjoyed many and was enlightened by. Godspeed Jay, Good thoughts go out to you,family and friends. Stu

27. jangleguy

jangleguy

So sorry for your loss! But I can see Jay's influence in all of you - he'll always be with you.
    Same here. We never met and rarely wrote to each other, but he inspired me to pursue my writing career and to try and be a better person. I know I'm not the only HAMBer that he touched in that way and I can tell he passed that gift on to each of you family members. I'm confident you'll carry it on with grace and inspire others.
    Scotty

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  28. Prayers sent.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I've asked him so many questions and he always took the time and gave me thorough explanations. He often had done the exact same thing and gave his technical answers with a related story.

RIP Jay. You'll be missed and I'm sure you've influence many more people than you know!