Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SANDERSON HEADERS are junk, who else had problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratster, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Well after living with the problem for years and many miles I had to fix it. It wasn't like they were new anymore and I just got tired of buying the short plugs, burned wire's and the pain of just changing the plugs.
    If you choose to live with the problem that's your business not mine, I choose to fix it after the $300.00 price tag worn off and I looked at them as just another set of headers.

Your right, Sanderson should step up to the plate and FIX his problem. now will they is the question and how soon?

2. A Boner

A Boner

+1
    That must be the ________ that I had the pleasure of talking to !

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Never had problems with mine, but my car is parked in the garage. The car that sits outside has issues with rust on the headers though.

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I wonder if the " Sanderson headers " is the same company as say 30 years ago, or did they sell and who knows who bought it???

5. ratster

ratster

btt for donna for sanderson headers

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

Is Donna actually on the forum?

7. You guys all make a good point, although I have never had a problem with a set of Sanderson headers I may think twice about where I buy my next set. The ones that seem to have the trouble have a lot of weight on them but the customer support is the issue here, I don't want to have some little/big problem and get the run-a-round I get that enough anyway. I hope they are reading this.

Satisfide Sanderson customer, for now.

8. onedge

onedge

Any HAMBER worth his or her # knows ALL after market parts are a CRAP SHOOT.

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Sure, there's always going to be a failure rate with everything, but when you buy a product for your application that fits horribly, and call them to ask why and they say "oh yeah, we've known about that issue for years"...well, that sounds more like a company that pumps out product to make money, rather than builds quality components to supply their customers...trust me, if this were a machining or casting company competing for business contracts, they'd be out of business quick by not fixing the issue...if it were Joe Blow that made 50 sets of headers out of his small shop and 4 sets were junk and he treated his customers like that, people would be bad-mouthing him and trying to put him out of business...but yet somehow it's ok for a large company to dump crap on the market because it's only 40 sets out of 1,000? I'm sorry, but I expect companies to be strict with their quality control and make revisions to their product when it's obvious there have been multiple similar failures...I won't ever accept mediocrity from a company that says they're one of the best...and I would hope you guys and gals don't shrug it off as "that's the way things are these days"...I do hope Sanderson addresses their issues of warpage, poor welding quality and poor fitment, maybe then I would consider buying their product...until then, I'll take my money to someone who cares about what they manufacture and treat me like a person and not a purchase order number...

10. ratster

ratster

i was told she was going be reading this post

11. Road_Rage_Rube

Road_Rage_Rube

thats sooo true, no matter what aftermarket parts you buy, they are all cheap and no quality! Remember its 2009.
    All that chinese stuff from speedway, moon,.... sucks
    Just think about that for a minute. Why do we love old cars - because they were part of a great time. A time, when you were pride to work for ford, gm or chrysler. A time were trademanship was a great thing.
    Today, everything is build to break! So fuck those mainstream parts, get a good tig welder and build your own stuff. You might invent a new style:)

12. Road_Rage_Rube

Road_Rage_Rube

at the tradeschool here in germany my teacher once told me "each piece you weld together will last a long time. Each piece you build, is like a signatur of yours. So make sure its done the best way possible! It will always come back on you" I hope the spelling is good

13. radical56chevy

radical56chevy

from factory .exhaust manifolds don't have gaskets at heads;metal to metal,.,.
    uf the headers were built correctly and not all warped should be the same fitting as oem..

14. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

BINGO! THAT'S her!

I called to order a set of header bolts and had such a negative experience talking to her that I'll never use their products again.

Her behavior was inappropriate and bizarre, in my opinion.

15. djcobraman427

djcobraman427

I heard the Sanderson was a good company so I called and talked to the office lady, told her I needed headers for a Cobra kit car, she new exactly what I needed, sent me some hearders for a Torino Cobra, which were completely wrong, so I called to see how to send them back. The woman, this was 10 years ago, was a total b***h about it, ended up paying to send the headers back, finally got a set off the wall, no coating, which I paid for,( no discount, nothing). and when I tried to reach someone there, she would not let me speak to anyone else. Came really close to driving the 400 miles down there to kick her worthless ass but decided I would spend the rest of my life telling people about their great customer service. I am still pissed off about it. Hey, I don't hold a grudge, I nurture one.

16. I've heard about that.
    Maybe if the cast manifolds are machined flat. Certainly does not apply to any headers. Also, I still haven't ever seen or assembled any exhaust manifolds or headers with out a gasket or sealant. I don't know. Exhaust manifold gaskets come in rebuild kits. I can't imagine getting them to run leak free without gaskets. Anyone else.

I received my Headers from Sanderson and there was dent in them. They were thrown in a box without any packing I called them and I wanted a new header sent immediately because I needed these to get my exhaust run. I told her I would send her the damaged one back. She ignored that request but at least gave me a pick up tag to send the damaged one back. Then they repaired the damage and sent it back to me. Took 3 weeks when I could have had my exhaust done. I repair wasn't visible. I haven't had any problems other than that with them. They ought to at least wrap them in paper to ship them. They just dropped both of then in a big ass box. They were loose in there. I can't believe all of them don't get damaged during shipment.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  17. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Mine came wrapped very good in bubble wrap,even the block off plates were wrapped individually

18. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Man, I've heard enough. What a crap company. No excuses.

-KK

19. lloyds58

lloyds58

I have a 58 chevy impala with sanderson junk headers on it, the lady you are talking about is Donna, she owns half the company, she charged me $500.00 for the block hugger headers, she told me the same thing, I am running an edelbrock carb, I e-mailed edelbrock and told them about she said it was running too rich, edelbrock told me that is not the first complaint they had heard about, the headers are real thin pipe and metal, like you said junk sanderson headers, LLoyd Tremayne, California

20. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

Look, anytime you have a header made with different sized tubing joined at right angles to one another, you are going to see this failure, particularly if you put too much heat into them ( read wrong tune ) This is something the turbo guys struggle with all the time. And it's totally predictable where the failure will happen, and did happen, as in the OP's post.

Simple laws of thermal expansion. The larger dia tube will expand at a higher rate than the smaller tube. Something will eventually have to give, and as shown, it's almost always at the joint. You could make the header out of shedule 80 pipe, and it would still fail at the same places.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got to second this.

A fair amount of my OT work is with heavily tuned turbo Diesels. Changes in tube diameter, welds, and even the outsides or mandrel bends are all prone to stress when thermal cycling, or overheating. This is especially bad on a mis-tuned engine. I have big pile of busted exhaust parts from heat related failure.

Lean = hot in a Gasoline engine. Check you tune! I no longer work without a wide-band O2 sensor and vacuum gauge when on the gas stuff.

22. 35chevymaster

35chevymaster
    from indiana

Ditto: same problem I needed the 1 3/4 because of the vortec heads I dimpled the headers but still burn 2 plug wires all the time, I just added some boot sleeves at $9 each now I'll see if they help..

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I make my own exhausts. Then when they crack I just weld the crack. Support is for when they break off, to keep them from fallin' on the ground........:D

24. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yeah, what he said. That sounds about right, or maybe theres something wrong with your carburetor.... yeah, thats it!

25. Terry O

Terry O

OK, I'm back and Jeremy did indeed come to open the shop on Friday. I didn't unwrap the bubble wrap to take a real close look but from the areas I did see they look very good. Jeremy also told me that if there were any problems they would re-coat at n/c. At this point I couldn't be happier with their service.

Terry

26. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

LOL :D ......... ahem ....... ok ....... well ....... ahhhh Hey guys ya have a great Thanksgiving?

I feel for you bro, do wish you luck, when i asked her some questions at Louisville about some problems i had been having on two sets she looked me straight in the eye and said "and you are?" WTF?
    I couldnt help but laugh........ so i said..... "a former customer" :D

Oh! You did tell her your car was an Essex right? Thats it! SBC in an Essex! FITMENT ISSUE! NOT IN CATALOG!
    No wonder they cracked!

:D

27. ratster

ratster

i met with an employee from sanderson. he took my headers and said he's going to repair them but not ceramic coat them, i had them coating done here in town.

28. RB05roadking

RB05roadking
    from Tampa FL

has any one had bad luck with the qp 1000 cast iron manifolds

29. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

something to remember boys these people all need to see a profit too stay in biz, now just cause some of these parts have a name dont mean they are quality made NOW and I repeat NOW, most of the cos. are 2and and 3rd gen sold and the stuff is the same price but not always the same quality DO YOUR RESEARCH geez ya have a damm comp. and buyer beware or make your own just my 2cents from 45yrs of watching guys,cry about this stuff, get a grip this is YOUR generation selling this stuff most of the time.........

30. Just buy Hedman in the future............Made in USA
    Guaranteed for life