Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yokohama Custom Hotrod Motor Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vivalahotrod, Oct 26, 2009.

1. theladylux

theladylux

Hey Comet or Mr.Fat Dad--

We are thinking about trying to go snowboarding while in Japan.
    We'll be staying in Tokyo for the majority of the trip, except the Sat. night before the show we'll be in Yokohama.
    We've got 2-3 days to play with....so we were thinking about heading to the mountains, for either a day trip or to stay the night.

Can either of you suggest where we should go snowboarding?
    Also, what can you tell me about staying at a Ryokan? (sp?)
    Also, how about Onsen baths? Are they 'tattoo' friendly?

Thanks for your help!

2. Always wanted to board Japan, can I fit in your suitcase?!:)

3. It's a little early for snow here, Hokkaido would probably be your only option and that is way north. I haven't checked snow conditions this year yet, so you should definetly do that first. And that is another flight-3hrs from Haneda.

As for onsen, you can always wear one of those large band-aids, but if you've got a lot, then you'll have to reserve a private room.

4. rustybones

rustybones

me and my girl will be doing the same thing we are both fairly covered trying to find tatt friendly places is proving tricky at this stage i will let you know if we find somewhere cheers chris and kate

5. Tman, I owe you some hospitality, have a room for you here when you can make it.

Comet is correct, is a bit early here for snow. Tokyo is low altitude, you need to bus, train regardless to find snow, Nagano is 3-4 bus ride uphill from here, but I do not think they have much yet. Fuji is capped now, but no skiiing there really. There are a couple of English web sites for snow conditions in Japan, search.

Ryokans are definitely the way to go for getting a local living experience. Many I have been to do have a decent bath setup, typically downstairs, you may get lucky and at least get that without having to worry about the public Onsen restrictions.

For those that do not know, Tats are historically Japan Mob significations. Is becoming more main stream with time, but many places still will not allow access with exposed tats, waterparks, bathhouses, some beaches..

FYI, weather here show time here in Yokohama will probably be 50's-60's range..

6. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

All the Aussies go to Hakuba (way North) for "the best powder in the world".
    But I dont know about seasons????

Ryokan ROCKS!

Hit Kamakura for traditional shit and temples and........about an hour further West than Yokohama ....day trip or stay over.

You know Onsen is FULL naked and public, right?
    Outdoor ones are even better, wicked sitting in a hot bath with the snowflakes and/or cherry blossoms gently floating down to land on your heads!!!!!....its where Japanese go to drop their inhibitions.....but yeah.....you better check about the Tattoo thing before hand.

Get a private room with Traditional Soba noodle lunch or tea ceremony....Uber Reraxing !!!!! :p

7. Lady, here is a really good website in English with a lot of data. Includes resorts, maps, snow reports, etc. I've linked the snow report page here: http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/archivednow.php?caldate=2009-11-24
    As you can see, 50cm is the most at any of the resorts. I was surprised to learn that some areas near my house are opening this weekend. These are not close to Tokyo, but maybe some of them will open soon too???
    Several places in Japan also make snow, so that should increase the likelyhood they might open. I also hope to do some riding here, last year was a crappy snow year so I didn't go, but I need to do that this year. I have a feeling it's going to be much better snow this year.

Oh, I forgot to ask everyone. About the Dice party, just show up and pay at the door? I think that sounds like fun, hope to see some HAMBers there.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. Man that trip seems so far off the radar I would not even know how to imagine it!

9. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

From what I got it's just pay at the door and that's it.

10. Right on, hope to see ya there!

11. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Can`t wait.
    Just look for this guy:cool:

Attached Files:

12. rustybones

rustybones

is this the pre show party at the venue the night before ?i just got tickets through the mooneyes site
    cheers chris

13. Suzy Retro

Suzy Retro
    from Tokyo

We are two Rodders from the UK but now live in Tokyo. It would be good to meet up with any of you who are going to the Mooneyes show. We are going to Mooneyes shop Saturday for an early lunch and to shop, later to the Pre show party. I like to sound of the Dice show, who is going?

14. Went by the Moon shop this afternoon to pick up my tix. I missed Shige-san, as I was in the turning lane, he crossed in front of me in his old Crown. Spoke with Steve from the staff and he said that some bikes and cars are now coming in. Next week was going to be busy for them. He said was going to be a larger show than last year!! I need to resize some pics to post, out front they have the drag Nova, Camero and a couple of Elcamino's, 3 of them were Moon yellow and looked awesome in front of the red leafed autumn trees. In the garage out back he had some very tasty Crowns parked.

15. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

This is a different show. The DICE party will be kicking off about the same time the Yokohama pre-party is ending.

16. We'll be going, also someone posted a "HAMB" meeting time/place at the show on Sun. Look on the first page or two of this thread.

17. Suzy Retro

Suzy Retro
    from Tokyo

We found this hotel for Saturday night, close to the Dice party venue. It is 8.400 Yen, cheaper than the cost of a taxi to get home. Saturday is turning out to be a full on day. We look forward to meeting you all.
    http://www.newsansei.jp/ The receptionist speaks perfect English.

18. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Oh......another Must-Do in Japan....

Stay a night in a Love Hotel !!!!!!!!

19. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Nice. Love Hotels are AWSOME!!!!

20. rustybones

rustybones

so what are th details for the dice party where is it ?cost?how do we get to go there cheers chris

21. All I know is post #53 and mine at #59 above...

22. rustybones

rustybones

jumping on a plane see you there guys and girls

23. Its at the Nine Cafe. Dec. 5th. 10 bucks. Just show up.

24. Suzy Retro

Suzy Retro
    from Tokyo

Haha! Love Hotels? You want to go to Shibuya for them. The capsule hotels are a must do (unless you are over 6ft tall).

25. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Im 6"4.......but yeah Shibuya (and Ueno.....and Kabukicho.....and Saitama......and.....!!!!!!!!!! :p) Love Hotels ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

26. theladylux

theladylux

Oh my God!!! I'm getting super excited for the show by reading all the posts!!! Thanks everyone for all the details on snowboarding, the onsens, etc.

I'm currently in Korea, heading to Japan Friday night...I'll be there with two guys from Old Skool Kustoms in MN...we'll be at the Moon pre-party, as well as the Dice party, then the boys will be vending at the show too! Jordan's bringing some kick-ass purses & motorcycle seats.

We'd love to meet some new people....so please introduce yourself!

Cheers,
    Shelley
    (ps-I'm the girl with the brown hair in my avatar!)

27. theladylux

theladylux

ps-Suzy---
    I used to live in the UK from 2001-2005!
    Lived in London, then in Buckinghamshire....
    Wondering if I know you??
    I bet we know a lot of the same people regardless!!!

28. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

4 days and counting....

29. Suzy Retro

Suzy Retro
    from Tokyo

If you went to the Ace Café, then we are bound to know the same people. I look forward to meeting you too. You can’t miss us, I have red hair and Roger looks like a Viking!

I can’t wait for the weekend. It’s my birthday Sunday! How cool is that!

30. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

I'll be there!!:cool:

Gonna shoot some video for coolstuff and see if I can stay out of trouble...hope not!:D

Where is the HAMB meet and greet?

Dave