Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Potvin Blower Kits Available Again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Brudwich, Nov 21, 2009.

1. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Sweeeeet! I've always wanted one of those. Even at that price it's worth it.

3. scrape

scrape

about time..... to rich for my blood though.....

4. 31modelo

31modelo

Really not a bad price, it's where I thought it would be.

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

MMMMMMMMMM... That is niiiice!!! It's about time someone brought it back. Always loved the look of a Potvin front mount!!

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Just curious.......................where's it made??

7. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

One of those would shave the belly button right off a SBC, wouldn't it?

:D

8. not to be dark but were they just waiting for bill to die befor they put this back out?

9. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

$3k really isn't too bad at all. Rebuilt 671's can be had for relatively cheap. Also, it's dirt cheap when you compare it to flathead blower kits!

Anyone think it's possible to run one of these on the street? Or is the ratio too much?

10. 61bone

61bone

Ever see a blower explosion.

11. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Yes, but not on anything that could ever be called a street car, and not on anything with a front driven blower. EXPLAIN PLEASE

12. pastlane

pastlane

I'm guessing most of their stuff is made off shore. Seems to lose a bit in translation...

Attached Files:

• moon.jpg
      moon.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  13. vein

vein

I was just looking at that. I would like to see if anyone here picks one up and puts it in there car.

14. panic

panic

Or is the ratio too much

That's a problem - there is no ratio, it's driven at engine speed, which means the amount of boost is set by engine size vs. blower size. Hardly precise.

Exactly which street car will this fit?
    One with no radiator, and the blower sitting out over the bumper.

15. They are way cool looking....but they are about as poor a blower design as you can engineer. That's why folks stopped using them in the early 60's.

16. Appleseed

Appleseed

"Death's Doorstep."

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

shame they don't sell the pieces separate,,and its no more a death trap than any other blower,,if anything safer cause explosion is further away

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Let's see................SBC adapted to an old Olds Toronado front wheel drivetrain installed to drive the back wheels of of a chopped '34 Bonneville style coupe. Should put the blower right along side you in the cockpit leaving room in the front for the size radiator to keep everyting cool on the street. Who's going to step up and make it a reality? No..........................seriously?:eek::cool::D

Frank

19. sr

sr
    from Monterey

There is a foundry just down the street from their shop (sort of) where alot of their castings are made. There is a good chance that this is made in the USA. Call them and ask. Very nice folks as we all know.

20. Crap, there goes the value of my original set up.
    I have one mounted on a 265 chev..with a 4-71 blower though.

Rick

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I doubt that.

22. al bundy

al bundy
    from bay area

they are made in the usa ...foundry near them ..and they do sell just the parts for them,,,, call and ask.. I have some new stuff...

23. doctorZ

doctorZ

yea, probably. who would want to buy a used part when you can get it brand new?! just kidding!
    i am stoked about these because i have always been a fan of the original. i think we'll definitely see more of them, but due to the modifications involved in using one, i don't think they are going to be everywhere. i'd still love to have one though ...

24. Saw this at OKC NSRA show in April. Radiator in the truck bed.

Attached Files:

25. swimeasy

swimeasy

I did know what the setup was called, but have allways thought it looked cool...BUT at 100%, it looks like a firecraker to me!

26. Without question a cool setup. 3K seems steep for some cast pieces and no blower case & rotors. Yes, each engine displacement would require a different size blower, but still.... The engineering costs must be rolled into the price. I still want one though.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've also always liked the look of those things. What I'd really like to see, though, is a complete new design on the same basic principles. But:
    1. incorporating some facility for altering the drive ratio, perhaps by an enclosed chain drive;
    2. turning the blower upright, so the induction is from the top, so a conventional carb set-up can be used;
    3. that'll put the ducts to the manifold below the blower, whence they can be routed more out of the way of stuff like a radiator and ancillaries;
    4. setting up the drive mechanism to centre and lower the blower; and
    5. incorporating at least one pulley on the drive mechanism to drive ancillaries.

That'd make Vintage-style between-the-frame-horns blower installations a practical option.

28. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

If I were a betting man I would say.......... Poland.

29. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

none of that is useful except #1

#2: they ran carbs on these setups quite often. they made up 90 degree intakes for the blowers.
    3. the intake ducts will still take up just as much room when run from the bottom, but you will be increasing the length of wet runners by at least 2x
    4. you cant get much lower than crank driven! what are you going to run for a front suspension and crossmember?
    5. this drive isn't meant for that at all. period. run your alt. off the driveshaft.

30. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

ha ha ha ha !!!!:d