Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaking radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Any good fixes for a leaking radiator? It leaks around the seam where the upper tank is sealed to the side. The area is about a half inch long, seem like the lip got bent a little.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

yea..braze it. or take it to a shop.

3. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

From what I've heard brazing is a tough thing to learn, if at all possible I'd rather try fixing it myself first before resorting to paying a shop.

Would sweat soldering work?

4. 61TBird

61TBird

Take it to a shop.
    Once it's repaired they can "Pressure test" it to make sure you don't have any other leaks.

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ok..f you don't want to fix it right...use bubble gum....other than that..i've got nothing.

6. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Braze or bubble gum. I've got it, thanks...

I'd really rather fix it myself for the time being untill I can get a new radiator. I've talked to a few guys that said being able to braze a radiator properly isn't something you just decide to learn on a weekend, maybe they were right or maybe they were wrong. I'm just looking hear what you guys have tried.

7. noboD

noboD

The tank needs taken off, cleaned and resoldered to do it like a radiator shop would fix it.

8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Don't braze it, solder it. If you want to do it right, take it to a radiator shop.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes solder it. Like you said, 'sweat solder' it like copper plumbing. That's exactly what a rad shop will do. You can regulate your air pressure to like 20psi and just use some rags to block the hose outlets. Easy repair...for me anyways.

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

TUMBLER...you did't say if it's brass or aluminum. but BELIEVE me you can ruin that radiator very easy. in this case take it to a pro. pay $20.00 now or $200.00 later...POP.

11. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

You're right I forgot, its brass.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If it's a brass/copper radiator joint, now is your chance to learn a little about soldering a radiator. Clean the area good with brass wire brush and muratic acid. Rinse. Smear some flux on the area. Play heat from torch flame on the flux until it melts. Heat the area slowly until the solder that's already there starts to flow, pull back a little with the torch and touch the new solder to the area, while playing the torch back and forth. When the new solder starts to flow remove the heat immediately. 4

Most times, "that's it!" (a term made famous by Janis Joplin at the end of her rendition of LORD WON'T YOU BUY ME A MERCEDES BENZ):D

If at first you don't succeed,,,,,,,,,,,