Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Model car Sunday.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2002p51, Nov 22, 2009.

1. 2002p51

2002p51

Can't remember if I've already posted this one or not. Apologize if I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just an AMT '36 clean and simple.

2. BLEEDER

BLEEDER

Where is a good place to buy model kits ?

3. There's a store called Marshalls around here. It's a hobby/craft superstore. Lots of models & supplies. They also have the yellow paint markers that the junkyards write on the parts with! Wal Mart has cleared out all the models, the paint and glue went about a year before that. I'm so glad they protect us from ourselves like that.:mad: Maybe it will help some small stores survive though.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Bleeder Another good place to buy models is here in the classified

5. 2002p51

2002p51

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That '36 is mighty fine. However, I never did care for the rear fender opening on the AMT kits. Just needs a little fixin' to make it right. I've got one round here somewhere that I cured this minor problem. Chopped coupe, flathead, really low. Someday, I'll finish it. nice model.

7. I'll play along and post some 36's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think I recently posted this flatback sedan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These last two are older builds,,,probably early 90's.

8. looks great yall!

9. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

The Michaels chain stores stock models cars,and so does Hobby Lobby;....you better get used to the idea of buying all your models online in the future, because that's where it's all headed. The box stores apparently cannot garner the profit they need from model car sales. You can bet the bottom line is money accrued in large volume sales. That simply is not happening now. Buy what is worth buying now, because the supply is dwindling fast!

10. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Finished up my 55 Chevy Bellflower custom. This has been an ongoing project for about four years now. Finally said hell with it and finished it....

I also painted up the Jimmy Flinestone shifter knob....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caddy mill with tri power
    [​IMG]

11. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

12. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Here's a new short track race I just recently completed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Hey lyle, check this out, 35 at my house.

Attached Files:

14. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

And my version of Speedy Thompson's Black Widow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Butch Hartmans 1966 Rookie USAC ride-'65 Dodge Coronet. A Polar Lights body on a Lindburg chassis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still a WIP

16. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

here's my contributions for this sunday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Lyle's '36 Pheaton is awesome, i love that car! Slim Louis is my short track model mentor. if it wasn't for him i'd have never gotten into building models of those cars.

Dave

17. 2002p51

2002p51

Slim nobody does short track racers better than you! That '57 is spot on.

18. deucegasser

deucegasser

19. Slim Louis

Slim Louis

Thank you Drew, that is quite an honor coming from you! I have admired your stuff for years!

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

All those models are fantastic! :cool: Lippy

21. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Ok here it is..I had a BLAST building and painting it.. I can't wait to see what you guys do to this kit.. the talent on here blows me away
    I did it out of the box stock , there was no decal sheet (cause it's the prototype the release should have the decals) I had some cool flame decals but they were too old and came out really cloudy so I took them off..
    I made the base and tag real quick and I couldn't resist adding the tire "smoke" and mounting it in wheelie mode LOL..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. confederate

confederate

I havent touched a model for a while, I'm rearranging my *man* room, but here's some old projects I never finished.

62 Buick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A different kind of Willys, its lower than this now, and still 4wd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one I finished a couple years ago, AMT 32, with a banger and 40 truck grill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Slim, you build some of the finest race cars around!!!

24. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Here is a shot of an AMT Piranha Dragster I have been working one. I used Testors Inca Gold One Coat Lacquer for the body. The decals are a combination of an original issue sheet, a recent reproduction sheet, and some decals I remade. The decal for driver, builder, painter, etc. so way off. I remade them on the computer and printed it on clear film. I think I will redo them again in Bold Face. The frame is under construction.

Attached Files:

25. This is sort of anti-HAMB in a way, because I tried to remove the "custom" work and put it back stock.

I bought this '53 Ford dealer promo model off of eBay, and wanted to make it look more like it came new. It said "condition is fair at best" in the ad so I wasn't expecting much.

I thought it maybe the body had been painted or something, but actually, the whole thing had a nasty patina of mold and crust. Plus, it had a very foul odor. I'm almost positive that it spent some time under flood water. My wife said I should have requested a CARFAX before I bought it. :D

So anyway, I took it all apart and started cleaning and polishing, and it turned out to be a really nice car for 56-years old!

I cleaned all the old red & white brush paint in the seats to reveal the original grey plastic interior by using oven cleaner. Sometimes that isn't too hard, but the seats in this model were made from strange plastic, almost like a little bit thicker version of the plastic container a Hostess Cupcake is in. It's really flimsy and brittle, so you have to be careful with it.

I also un-warped the sagging windshield frame with boiling water. I worked on the top boot, but that kind of plastic didn't really respond well to the boiling water trick, so I just did the best I could.

FWIW. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. boldventure

boldventure

Interesting story.
    Some HAMB stuff is sort of "reverse engineering" so your restoration is pretty HAMBy!
    Do you articles in the Examiner get much feedback?
    Good to see your editors/publishers giving some ink to the model car hobby.

27. Eh, not as much as I would hope. I'm usually the top guy in KC, but I don't think that means much. I like doing them, so there's that. I don't think it has paid for the camera batteries or gasoline to get to all the car shows and stuff, but I'd be going to them anyway, so it's all good.

I'll probably do more model things this winter since there are fewer car events going on around here.

Anyway, thanks! :D

28. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Very nice Lyle, that phaeton looks like you could jump in and drive it away! A couple questions if you don't mind - what color/paint brand is on the roadster? And what wheels are on the phaeton?

29. 46stude

46stude

I finished up my '57 Fairlane clunker this week:

Attached Files:

• 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    • 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      49.6 KB
      Views:
    • 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
  30. its a pheaton model day by the looks of the cool stuff posted. heres a few of mine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]