Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Saw an article in NSSN this week about Hinchcliff. Restoration efforts, I believe.

3. Mitch G

Mitch G

You midget experts may have this book, my dad bought it when I was 4 years old, still in my collection. Crocky Wright put it together seems to have race results, box scores, stories, photo's from every race at Hinchliffe Stadium from 1939 to 1949. I've scanned a couple pages to see if it match's the other photo posted, hard to tell, but it looks like Hinchliffe to me.

Attached Files:

4. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Neat!!!
    Can't wait till I'm finished with my time machine - Hinchliffe Stadium circa 1940's will be one of my first stops........

5. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

Pics of tank, steering and engine getting fitted.

Attached Files:

6. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Looking good! What engine is that? Pontiac?

7. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Rim Ryder, 'I am definitely impressed. Is that a Brayton/Buick head on a SESCO? And if so, is it the original SESCO or a Canaday? 'Lookin' good!

8. Hutcho

Hutcho

Hi Buildy,Shou & others I just got back from the sign shop & had this idea,did Rice a Roni have a particular color scheme on their signage ? if so I would love to get a pic asap.Can anyone help please as this maybe the color scheme on Larrys helmet? Thanks.
    re post #358/359

9. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Ron ..

Can't sat what their signage was back then, bit here's their Web Site that shows their current packaging.
    http://www.ricearoni.com
    BUT, don't forget that this wasn't a sponsorship deal for him .. it was more like a nick name .. like HUTCHO is for you.

10. Hutcho

Hutcho

Thanks Ken just a thought I'll go with my original ideas.

11. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Back in the day, New Jersey had a rule stating the roll bar had to be three inches above the drivers helmet. And the enfrced that rule.b

12. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

SCCA still has a rule to the effect that the roll bar must be above the driver's head, I believe.

13. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

These were emailed to me.
    I don't who the artist is but pretty nice.

Attached Files:

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Absolutely super.
    I'd love to know who made it!!

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

100% corect Spike!!

Can anyone name who the two people were (back in the day) with the state of New Jersey, who saw to it that the roll bar rule Spike pointed out and other rules were enforced? .. Both were good guys. .. One or the other usually turned up at the ARDC &/or ATQMRA awards banquets.

In later years .. with many more rules .. the World of Outlaws (WOO) almost pulled out (cancelled) of their first ever date in NJ (Flemington, if I remember right) because they had to rip a good part of thier cars apart & rebuild them in order to comply with the New Jersey state safety laws .. as they applied to auto racing,

Funny how the NJ state laws almost always became standard proceedure almost every where else!

Also the concrete Jersey barriers .. now so common on highways through out the country .. of course were originally a product of NJ state highway safety.

16. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

One was a Sargent Wykoff.

17. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

The craftmenship is good enough to build a full size car , I, know thats what I have been doing for about 45 years . ;)

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Awesome stuff !

19. wheels53

wheels53
    from Australia

You`re correct Buildy, the roadster down here in Oz you refer to is in fact one
    of the original ten KK`s. It was imported & raced here in the early sixties by Adelaide based promoter/driver Kym Bonython & was dubbed the Supercar.
    It came to Oz as the black #76 Hank Green Roadster as driven in the Midwest
    by Leroy Warriner
    Wheels53

20. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

Attached Files:

21. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Right on Spike!!!
    The other was Lieutenant Philburn (spelling?).

They were firm, very fair and yet always most pleasant & reasonable. Everyone both liked & respected them.

In comparison (no name mentioned) there was a civilian quasi race official, who was also had some sort of connection (half baked I think) to the same New Jersey state department they did .. who all too often often came across like a JERK on a power trip!!!

For some unknown reason .. bringing back the name Sergent Wykoff .. made me think of East Windsor (NJ) Speedway & it's promoter Don Jones. Another NICE GUY .. who at the same time had a fair, yet no nonsense way about him. A hands on promoter, he was VERY PROUD of that facility and how it was run.

I LIKED him and that place. Did you ever run there Spike?

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Yes, i did run Windsor; only prob was i got upside down. ll. No harm done tho.

23. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  24. just came across this one

Attached Files:

25. Buildy

Buildy

26. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

27. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Buildy, 'A couple things. The beautiful, red, white and blue Kurtis-type car #95 was owned by a man named Karl Hokanson (Even though it's 'Carl' on the hood) and driven in USAC and BCRA up in Northern California by Dick Atkins look-a-like Larry Mimms, Bob DeJong and Ken Nichols, among a few others. I've got several pics of the car but, with respect to the wishes of this thread, will not post them because the car had a cage as early as 1970. Also, found another picture of the Mad Russian driving a Ford V8-60 machine. But, it doesn't look like the #33 car???

Attached Files:

28. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks LittleFauss.

I`m more a Student rather than an expert on Bill Vukovich`s early racing career.
    I was looking at my 1946 URA yearbook and it said Bill was 27 then and a nine year vet of Midget racing,which I guess means he must`ve started around 1937.
    I`m sure there are others on here who know more about the Vukovich brothers than me and I look forward to learning more.

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

30. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Here's something I've wondered about for awhile. Maybe someone here knows the answer &/or has some pictures.

Joe Csiki drove a number of different midgets with the North East Midget Racing Assiciation (NEMA) two he built himself .. one was the Falcon powered car that he later sold to the Bennett brothers & campaigned for them as a team mate to "Dutch" Schaefer in the ARDC.

The one I often wonfer about is the other one he built .. the first one. Because of it's strange appearance (I believe) it was nick named .. "THE WORM".

I don't think "THE WORM" has ever resurfaced. Does anyone know what happened to it? Does it still survive?

Also does anyone have any pictures that they can post of it .. either of the cars he built in fact .. but especially "THE WORM"?

THANKS.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009