Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Sexy Sadie" Custom Shoebox Build Thread...PICS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... Here goes. I recently acquired this beautimous '49 Ford two-door sedan from a fellow club member (skoford) and I'm not going to waste any time getting to work on her.

The Pink Lady will get chopped, hardtopped, nosed, decked, and lowered. She'll have shaved door handles, a peaked hood, skirts (what are good lookin' ladies worth without skirts?) frenched headlights and a frenched antenna.

At the last Suedes club meeting I was offered an Oldsmobile 350 for FREE, so I couldn't turn that down. I then sought out a transmission, which I picked up from my buddy Wingnutz here on the HAMB! I'll have lots of pictures and progress updates, so pay attention!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I'm going for as a finished product. Swedeshoebox's beautiful car is my inspiration. I haven't decided on a color yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

There was a pretty famous (two I believe) Pink Lady's on the east coast, both shoeboxes. I think there were two, one original and one clone if memory serves correct. Idk if that changes anything haha, like someone building a "Jade Idol" or something nowadays. Nice inspiration though, can't wait to see the build!

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

nice car to start with. what are your suspensiom /steering plans?

5. Soviet

Soviet

It would be more of a "Joel Idol"
    When did you manage to make it over to Wingnutz's to pick up that tranny anyway?
    And for the love of build threads, get a camera!

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It'll be called "Sexy Sadie" after my girlfriend and the Beatles song after it gets it's haircut. Don't worry Russian, you still get to pick up the tranny from Titus' (I think)....
    I can see the pics... nobody else can?

7. Soviet

Soviet

We can see them, but they were certainly taken from a phone, not a camera.
    Sexy Sadie fits it nicely, and it will make the answer to "Who do you love most?" that much easier not to confuse

8. oldskolrick

oldskolrick

Swedesshoebox is for sure on of the best lookin hard topped ones

9. titus

titus

the trans should be here tomorrow as far as i know.

cool project

jeff

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a little late to keep it pink... A lot of people want me to though. Here's the rest of the progress for tonight...

Attached Files:

• 183.jpg
      183.jpg
      File size:
      498.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is some more progress. I'll be using the stock front suspension with flipped spindles and disc brakes, and the rear has been lowered probably 4" by the previous owner. I plan to use a stock steering box. The aesthetic cutoff date is 1954. Hopefully I'll meet that minus the mechanical stuff, but I really want this to be a trouble free cruiser- hence the disc brakes. I would love to have a flatty in it but I can't pass up a free engine at this point. It may get changed in the future.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      506.2 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      507.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Looks like a cool project for sure, I'll be watchin'

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very nice. I will be starting on a 51 coupe prolly next year. So I will be following your build for ideas, so keep them coming...John

15. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

Sweet shoebox I'll keep an eye on the progress

16. colorado kid

colorado kid
    BANNED
    from Colorado

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Lot of '49-'51's been chopped on here so there should be plenty of help if you find a need for it. Also lots of examples (pictures) to guide you to your preference in final look. I'll be keeping tabs on this one. My first drivable car was a '49 business coupe and I've always had a soft spot for them. Be sure to keep us posted on the progress.

Frank

18. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

How about a coral color like the early Impala's? I'm not sure if ford had a similar shade. Nose art?? You can't have a "Sexy Sadie" without a sexy lady!! :DWay cool project!!

19. Bonedaddy8

Bonedaddy8

Looks like a good start and good progress. I think you have to change the frt clip though to make the olds fit. Theres clearance issues w/the crossmember. I bought a beaten 49 while back that prev owner had wedged a olds rocket in but he cut the firewall and moved the engine back bout 6in". Clean work back in 60's but no leg room left.:D

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the input Bonedaddy-Anyone else have input on this? It's an Olds 350, not one of the earlier Olds Rockets, so I hope this makes a difference? I think it will fit, but I don't have the steering box in. Anyone have suggestions/ experience with this setup?

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made the first custom touch to the shoebox today... shaved door handles. Once I got the stock door handles out (thanks to Kustom7777 for the tips) I just made a template, transferred that to metal and welded the panel in. I also filled the lock hole.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      503.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      505 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      502.9 KB
      Views:
  22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got more of the body stripped down as well. Investing in a good facemask was one of the best things i've done. I got one of the three dollar 3M ones but it's a helluva lot better than the cheapo hundred pack facemasks. I've decided dustmasks are a lot like toilet paper- once you've had the quilted kind you'll never go back to the 2 ply kind...

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      505.7 KB
      Views:
  23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Keep her coming,we need more!

24. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

^^^^^^^^^^^

25. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Looking good so far

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I will be frenching the headlights over christmas break, as well as doing general rust repair (rockers, floors, etc...)

Anyone reccommend which headlight bezels to use for frenching the headlights? I'm looking to "flush mount" the headlights. If they are recessed I want them to be recessed only about an inch. My stock ones are stainless, so I son't be welding those to the fenders. Any suggestions?

27. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Keep on buliding and good luck

28. cafekid

cafekid

if you wanta traditional style frenh then just weld the stainless rings to the fenders if you want them tunneled the 52-54 ford/merc rings are popular

i welded the factory rings to my car since this was the look im going for

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I'm undecided as to whether I should use the Merc headlight rings or find a set of steel ones. I'll have to take a look at my little pages tonight and find some examples. Thanks for the input!

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I started disassembling the Olds 350 the other night. Here are some pictures- Nothing too exciting.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      489.2 KB
      Views: