Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "32" Roadster arrives - pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Nov 4, 2009.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I can assure you, thats not a brookville, but I wouldnt kick it out of the shop... definatly a good start.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I don't think thats a Repro steel body either, I sell them through my shop and they are are way better that what you have there, unless of course maybe thats a real early repro steel body ???
    The repro steel body doesn't come with any subrails, you have to make your own.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

This car has a full custom flat floor and steel framework under that. It won't need too much work to make it look good but I'd prefer to be working with something old.

Langy, interesting what you say. Is there anyone else who makes steel reproduction 32 Ford style bodies? It'd have to be a ReproSteel because it's not a Brookville and I'm guessing it's not a Dearborn.

I keep walking past it and talking to it while running my hand over the lines. I keep saying..."what am I going to do with you?"

I've even offered it as pay to help me with my body and paint and general assistance (I'm pretty much building this alone with no experience) but no takers yet. Perhaps I'm too honest and critical when describing it's condition (like I would want someone to be with me). To me it's really no better than a fibreglass car. It's new. Nice...but new.

4. titus

titus

Its not killar bad, buy a few brookville peices for the lower trunk opening edge, fix up the door egdes and and put interior in it and no one will ever know, a bit of body work and itll look like a million bucks.

im thinking some bought the panels from repro steel or brookville, made their own structures and built a car.

looks like on the door latches you could remove them and put correct ones in it pretty easy.

JEFF

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

No, it's not that bad I suppose, to look at it from a few steps away it looks killer. But when you get up close it just seems a shame that it wasn't put together with a bit more care. It's got an "industrial" feel to the welding and assembly. As mentioned above. I'm grateful to have it and many would be glad to take it off my hands...but only for free...lol

No offence to the builder (no idea who he is) but I reckon the budget might not have been there for a full slow professional nice job. The grinding on the body (finishing the welded areas) is almost sad. Too much body was ground away but if this was a real car in this condition not one of you wouldn't be over joyed.

I have a Merc 255ci Flathead and 3 speed coming over in the T Roadster I could use (The T has a frame that would never pass muster down here). Might make a copy of the 5 window coupe but with Flathead instead of Nailhead power. Having a matching 32 coupe and 32 "style" roadster would be neat...I must admit.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

32ford5..like langy says, the reprosteel is far better than this! could be a 'ikea' reprosteel..someone thought they could do that. jonas at www.jocar.se do a super job.
    i had one myself, no problems!
    -palle

Attached Files:

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks Palle.

Could you explain this comment a little more? Do you mean someone took a perfectly good repro steel body and mangled it trying to put it together "IKEA-style"?

8. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I was getting excited, reading through this Thread, about ordering one for myself. That was until I got to your pictures. Thanks for posting this 32ford5. Looks like your in for some work here. Good luck with it, I'll be staying across it to see how it comes along. The Before & After shots will be worthwhile.

9. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

You should come over to see this one up close so you know. Make a day trip out of it.

10. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

11. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

exactly ... you can buy the body in pieces, and do it yourself..just like buying in IKEA. the problem is that it aint that easy as it looks! i dont have the body anymore, my friend dk roadsters here on the hamb bought it. maybe you can take a picture of the door latches TIM!? i remember they where from a VOLVO.
    -palle

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes, true. I can't imagine it would be easy to put one together. Maybe it wasn't even finished yet. It's not real cool being harsh to previous owners and builders so I just want to make it clear I'm grateful for it being in my driveway. I'm just scratching my head as to what to do with it exactly.

13. sr

sr
    from Monterey

How are the reveals? Are they sharp or large or crisp? crookvilles are so gentle that if you paint the reveals and body lines almost go away. very sad. I am curious about your body.

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I was just out looking at it now and a few things don't look right to my noob eyes. I'll go out and take some more snaps and post them up in a few minutes. Anything in particular you want to see?

15. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I built a Repro-Steel body and it had the indentation in the trunck lid inner structure just like stock. I will have to dig around and see if I have a picture of the deck lid. Here is a picture of the car when I got it rolling

Attached Files:

• dark.jpg
      dark.jpg
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
  16. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Mmmm, so this may not even be a repro-steel body? Got to love a good plot I guess.

Anyway, just went out and took some more pics. Then my camera died. I'm thinking of grabbing the video cam and taking a walk around movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Looks like some one brought the outer panels and thought it would be easy to assembly the body........... guess they found it isn't that easy:confused:

18. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I really wish they weren't so heavy handed with the grinder but the steel frame inside the body looks sturdy enough. Maybe I can make two bodies for one car...lol One for summer, one for winter.

19. pontiacfarmer

pontiacfarmer
    from sweden

hello
    talked to jonas at jocar today about this
    he confirmd that they had sold a couple of bodies to "down there" in pieces
    so....its not easy to put a body together if you dont have a eye for how it should be!!
    a car is not built better then the guy building it...that for sure
    (I work with volvo buses build in Poland..so I know)
    take care and enjoy life boys and girls
    s

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks for the info. I sold this car to a cool guy not far from here who will be using it to replace his grass body on an already registered and driving 32 Roadster. He knows the guy who assembled it and so they can work together to get the best out of this body. He's pretty happy with it and I'm pretty happy with the space gained.

Good luck Frank!

I'll post pics if I get them when it's finished.