Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me decide: Which engine for my project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Nov 19, 2009.

?
  1. Build the Hudson 308 - it belongs in that Essex

63 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. Build the Desoto Firedome - You can't beat a Hemi for good looks

29 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I get the feeling I will give this car away in my will... or be buried in it...
    I'd hate to make a decision about this based on resale value. I need to keep the "ego" Ryan touched of out of the car and think I need to focus on the end product first and foremost. What does the car want?

2. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey GIG...the HEMI has more power stock, then a hudson soupedup. and the parts for the hemy are much easier to find. and expensive(HUDSON) forget about it! and any hotrodder will tell you, we all dreamed of a HEMI...POP.

3. roddinron

roddinron

Hell, I just noticed where you're from, I think it's just meant to be, --Hudson.:D

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more point, Gigantor. The Hemi is cool, no question...they both are. But as you've said, the one that doesn't get used will get stored away for another project. The Hemi will be cool in almost anything. So think about this...if you use the hemi now, what are you gonna use the Hudson for later? - Rick

5. roddinron

roddinron

Now that's ^ good thinking!

6. Gigantor

Gigantor

It's funny you should say that. I've got an Aunt who's father gave her and my Uncle a 31 Model A coupe when they got married. That car hasn't moved in years and they wont let me anywhere near it. That doesn't mean I have stopped showing interest! At this point I'm working on my cousins who have no interest in old cars and will someday inherit that "old jalopy".
    I have this fantasy that if I build my Essex and make it something truly awesome, they (my aunt and uncle) might agree to sell me the Model A someday... someday.

That Hemi would look pretty damn good in that Model A.

You guys are slowly convincing me to go Hudson.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well now...if that's the case...save the Hemi for the Model A.
    Model A coupes and Hemis are MEANT to be together...it's their destiny....haha!

8. Gigantor

Gigantor

One way or another I will own a Model A some day, even if it is not my Aunt and Uncles car... theirs just happens to be across town, garaged, and rust free.

9. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

+1 for the Hudson

I always stop and look at a car with a Hemi. They're cool engines. That being said, I didn't even know what the Hudson engine looked like until someone posted pics. At a car show, I would take twice the time looking at the Hudson because it's different.

10. 47Hudson

47Hudson

Take the 308 rebuild it, look for an Edmunds finned aluminum head, either fab a custome intake or look for the classic Edmunds 2x2 intake, make a header and run that puppy without a hood! I have been wanting to do that so bad! Remember a 7X spec Hudson 6 made over 220hp so you don't need that little hemi to do big smokey burnouts in that little car!

Attached Files:

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

bump for weekend crew...

12. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Go with the Hudson it will look and sound different than most cars out there.

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah, after watching the movie Cars umpteen million times, I still get goosebumps every time "Doc" fires up his engine and idles.
    Yeah, I get goosebumps whenever I hear a Hemi going balls out too, but there's something about the Hornet, all the racing history maybe that just sings a different song.
    Call me nostalgic or a dreamer, but I think the Essex with the Hudson motor might just complete the package.
    Thanks for the input fellas.

14. I am a die hard Hemi yeahkaconus...but go with the Hudson....its one off...

15. mikemo

mikemo

SBC....Go against the grain!

16. shoestring

shoestring

Good call on the Hudson.