Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Front Axle Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdstrgrl, Nov 13, 2009.

1. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Hi guys, new to the site and am looking for some answers. I am starting a 29 Roadster project, and would like to know what front axle you all would recomend using. I know that I want a 2"-3" drop, but unsure of what would work best for this project.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    rdstrgrl

2. Ghost28

Ghost28

I think a 4 inch drop axle. One of the top brands, magnum, superbell, prolly 46 inch wide would be my choice. Split bones, or hair pins, would be the connection parts. And a posies reversed eye spring for one more inch of drop...John

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

All depends on how you want your car to look and handle like,,What kind of driveline do you have in mind ?

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Go with a Magnum axle 3 inch drop 4 and 5 you could run into steering issues ,Also model a wish bones and a 40-48 ford box would fit some budgets,That s how mine is done. Cross steer is better .I wish I knew of some books you could read .There is alot that goes into setting up a front end

5. Darwin

Darwin

A typical "four inch" dropped axle is actually around two and a half inches lower than a stocker. A stock Model A axle can be dropped as much as 3 or so inches further but the less you can stand the better. Many many discussions about these matters are on this board so a search for "dropped axles" will be worthwhile.

6. jetmek

jetmek

theres several guys here that can drop your stock axle. cheaper than buying new and much cooler in my opnion. check the hamb-o-dex

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Agree with Jetmek.I'd go for a dropped original axle.
    Crazycarjohn mentioned books.Two that I consider invaluable are;
    1/ How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod-By Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel.Covers the full build of a trad A roadster.THE BIBLE!

2/ Hot Rod Chassis-Tex Smith.Covers all aspects of frame/suspension.Explained in laymans terms so easy to understand.Great for geometry etc.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark.

8. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Here's what I have: '40 rear end, '50 flatty, and '39 trany. I am just wanting to know if I should go with a traditional model A front axle for my roadster?

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

well all the early axles are 'traditional" lol

Model is is a good choice ,,has long ends so whee,s don't hit in tight turns. All spindles fit em and lots of wishbone choices.. Also great to use if your looking to have it dropped

short answer ,,yes Model A axle is a good one

10. rdstrgrl

rdstrgrl
    from IA

Thanks everyone!