Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Cabovers & Transporters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 12, 2009.

1. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Those are really cool, but BEER TRUCKS are prettier!

[​IMG]

2. Nice stuff, thanks for sharing Jay

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

4. I like the beer truck the best!

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Probably related to the Labatt's Streamliner beer truck, this looks like a design by Count Alexis De Sakhnoffsky (1901 - 1964).

More here: http://www.eevamoritz.com/sakh.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I agree I could look at these photos all day.

How come the trailers are so hard to find? Did they all get scrapped? or were they continuously updated and modified until you couldn't recognize one?

7. They don't make 'em like that any more. Always loved the COE even as a little kid. :D

8. GaryC.

GaryC.

Here are a few. The Mercedes is a design
    that I think of every time this subject comes up.
    Check out the "T". Necessity being the mother of invention!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      114.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      64.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

They mostly got scrapped. They are just not anything that anyone thought to save. There are probably a few around here and there, but you'd be looking for a long time. It's a shame. But then what do you do with it if you restore it? Where do you keep it?

That 3-D rendering of that truck is amazing! Wow!!

10. A Chevy COE (-42 I think) with a BP tanker trailer, restored by a guy here in Sweden.

[​IMG]

11. some one just sent me these

Attached Files:

12. @meatball - Maybe the same guy that sent them to @Jive-Bomber ... 'cuz all of 5 of those pics are in the OP (Jay's Blog) :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  13. 440shawn

440shawn

Love the old trucks, thanks for posting the pics. Shawn

14. I love COE's, that is a nice one. Wish I could afford to get another "project".

15. really????????????? damn it was a roll of them but some were already here:confused:

16. gtharp

gtharp

Hard to believe those trucks were powerful enough to pull all those cars and the trailer, too.

17. I like 'em because when they pulled the chains and straps down to hold the cars on, they all get lowered a couple inches temporarily... :) and you get to see how they's look, even the new ones.

18. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

19. BlueHowler

BlueHowler

Remember the intrigue and secrecy of the late fall in the 1950's and 60's when the car carriers were dispatched to dealerships with one each of the new model year cars wrapped in tarps for the grand unveiling? I can't remember if I reacted as strongly to the first live viewing of a '57 Chevy as I do now to the same car, but it was a big event.

Engine-Ear's plan for a carrier loaded with 1962 Pontiacs would be a stunning sight to see.

And the spy pictures of proving grounds with the new model going through its paces?

20. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

[​IMG]

this looks like something one of our guys would do with his flat ber wrecker.......

thanks for sharing these old pics

21. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I love the details on the trailer hauling the Mopars. Can you imagine how hard those Ford flatheads and 235 Chevies must have been working hauling the loaded trailers? Maybe the trucks had a 4spd with a 3spd auxillary, juice brakes, no a/c or power steering, not a great way to make a living.

That little Ford cabover looks to be well done, definitley different. Wouldnt a well done cabover with a restored mid 30's/40's trailer would make a great way to haul your post war rod?

22. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

If you've ever traveled on I-10 from Phoenix to LA you've probably seen the big hoard of old cars in Quartzite Arizona.

I went out there in December of 2007 to haul a car I got back and had to stop and take pictures of this old White COE car hauler filled with goodies. I think it was for sale and probably still there just in case you have to have your own car hauler. If I'm not mistaken the cab is about 1959 or so.

Attached Files:

23. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

these are amazing.. Very cool. Driving a truck like that must have felt like you were driving a hot rod at the time...

24. Weasel

Weasel

So does the Henry Ford Museum.

25. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

Man!! these are asome great pics!!I love the cab overs. Thanks for the post, and keep the pics comin guys.

26. 6ck Pony

6ck Pony

"Ford’s on a Ford, GM’s behind a GMC, Dodge hauling new Mopar’s… Even new ‘51 Stude’s being pulled by a Studebaker truck"

That's cool. Their pulling their own weight

27. Victory

Victory

The tractor hauling the Packards is a MACK. The bulldog on the top of the grill is the first indicator. The MACK sign on the grille also gives it away. Other popular tractors at the time were White, AutoCar and Diamond Reo.

Victory

28. plan9

plan9

my 49 cab over.... although not a transporter, it is an unmolested truck. the stainless trim on the box is pretty neat.
    [​IMG]

welding rig.... the back half sheet metal was hand made, riveted and gas welded.
    [​IMG]

29. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

This is a bit off topic but it's still a cool old shot of an Alfa tractor hauling new Alfas.

Attached Files:

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I saw this one back in '05 at Bowling Green. Only have this shot. No other details. It was VERY nice. Gary

Attached Files: