Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise Night is Wed nights. There aren't any shows or schedules. Anything else would just be a groupe or car club meeting there.

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx for the good words. Believe me-we truly appreciate the business.:D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. synthsis

synthsis

You know I'm pissed we were in Downey looking for the mall (the mrs. was in desperate need of pink hair dye, I thought she looked fine) on our Honeymoon last week and I completely forgot to stop here for lunch. We're planning another LA trip for the summer so this is on the list.

4. i'm out for weds. ase tests on thursday night and i need to study :rolleyes:.
    but i'll be back......i'm running out of people to take, maybe co workers next :D.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who is in for tomorrow night?

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

How about some bumper stickers?

"FOLLOW ME TO THE BROILER"

8. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I am good for tomorrow. The truck is running like crap so I might have to roll out on the bike this time, but I will be there.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't want to be an ass, and this question may seem like I am but I mean no offense.
    Just what is a Broiler?
    Not a word used down here, I'm guessing its just another word for restaurant?

10. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I know it as the drawer that is on the bottom of our stove where you can cook. Kind of like a toaster oven I suppose.
    There is a grate that you put the food on and when you slide the drawer closed the food is cooked under a heat source, i.e. flame or heating element.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

In the United States, broiling refers to a method of cooking when the heat is applied from above. In electric ovens this is accomplished with a heating element. Sometimes the food is placed near the upper heating element to intensify the heat. The lower heating element may or may not be left off and the oven door is sometimes opened partially. Gas ovens often have a separate compartment for broiling, sometimes a drawer below the bottom flame.

My Model A with no interior, no a/c and black primer is a broiler in the summer!

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys, we call them grillers here. Well now I know just what it means.
    Doc.

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Kevin -

Here's a thought... Why not get rid of the car hop service and just have a walk-up window? This way people can park anywhere. Those that want to eat inside in a comfortable boothe can do it, and those that choose to hang-out in the front by their ride can still grab some food and relax.

I like the general idea of the car-hop service for the overall feel/theme of the restruante, but I don't see it being able to sustain itself when people are buying one shake and staying in the stall all night long.

(2 centavos worth of my thoughts)

14. archied1067

archied1067

aw man i cant go wednesday i work till 9pm. i had dinner with the family on monday food was great service a little slow but they made up with flirty smiles. ill come back again

15. VINTAGETRANSAM

VINTAGETRANSAM
    from SFV

I'll be there also then after a while head up to the Van Nuys Blvd. cruise.

"If it's under control your not going fast enough" Parnelli Jones Boss 302

16. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

We will be heading down from Sonora to Pomona for the NHRA finals and thought we'd swing by. Hope to be there around 4:30 5:00 in the Binder.

17. You were supposed to PM me! WASSUP?

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Good idea, design one up and get a $ quote.
    I'll be here.

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We'll be there after 10pm, c'mon on out.:D

20. Weasel

Weasel

Like this????:D

[​IMG]

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's how Johnie's ran 'The Harveys's Snack Bar back in the 80's, We're looking for a more pure thing and a walk up window is what Toluca Lake does, Let's just support what we always say we've wanted;).

22. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

These guys are pretty inexpensive for a small run........
    100 bumps for $25.00
    http://www.stickerjunkie.com/

ALL ROADS LEAD
    TO THE BROILER

Follow me to the Broiler

I'd rather be at the Broiler

Headed for the Broiler

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  23. synthsis

synthsis

Bob, I had about 4 minutes of free time the entire trip. We missed so much stuff in LA we're planning a second trip just for 1 city: LA. We had a great time and saw some amazing coast and had a lot of fun, but there was so much to see and do.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't mean to be judgemental, I have never been to the Broiler, but it seems like the car hop issue is an ego problem. Face it, folks that think they have a sweet ride are usually craving attention. That's probably why you have, what sounds like, people sitting in a hop space for 2 hours nursing a shake and an order of fries. Folks need to police themselves and control their egos. Order your food, eat and park somewhere else. It seems like a simple thing. Am I right? Car hops work at Sonic because folks in regular cars eat and git. Perhaps hot rodders need to do the same. Maybe use the Broiler as a meet up, stay an hour or so and cruise to a parking lot or something to oogle eachothers cars.

Places like this are a treasure. We used to have them here in Houston, but what killed them was folks loved to hang out, but didn't really patronize them. Hanging out sipping on a cola for 2 or 3 hours is not going to keep this place open. Neither is just stopping in for one night of the week.

I hope I'm not out of line. If anyone thinks I am, please correct me. Like I said, I've never been to the Broiler, but I know I'd like it to be there in the future when I get a chance to go.

25. cruzr

cruzr

The car hop service worked in the old days when it was Harveys, i know cause i used to go there. It can work again now. Bear in mind the place just opened and the "newness" hasnt worn off yet. I can remember waiting in line to get a spot under the canopy, eating, and then taking off to go 'cruising" .

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just what is this unrelenting desire for people to "sit or be in the front row" ? Is it neccessary to "sit under the canopy" to have a good time? Seems like just having a cool place to go to would be enough or it should be.

27. archied1067

archied1067

i know what you mean when we pulled in we thought it was packed .the parking was full of cars. as we walked we realized not nearly as many people as anticipated. we talked to the manager and he mentioned to us cruise night was on wed. thurs. and fri. but under his breath said they really didnt like that many nights. i would guess it has to do with the parking situation not enough spots to park in for paying customers.

28. I'm not going to be able to make it today! Some things came up. Have a good time...

29. part of the reason the car hop deal is gonna struggle, is that everything that went along with it is no longer relevant.

in the 50's doing things in the car was fresh and exciting. people used to CRUISE. nobody does that anymore. the broiler was a component of the cruise, not the ultimate destination. nowadays, any where you go is the destination. you drive in and park. in that respect, the broiler is no different that denny's at this point. but that can change.

as for me, i have no desire to eat in my car. 1) i dont wanna risk spilling anything on my carpet. 2) i don't need to drive 30 minutes to not get out of the car. i can go to mc donalds for that. however i do LOVE me some big boy, and i do love me some broiler. so i will occasionally risk a stain for the cause.

I like all the activity inside the restaurant. i like having lighting while i'm eating. i dont like fighting my steering wheel for elbow room. but thats just me.

i think alot of people feel the same way.

eating in the car has to become cool again. it has to become exciting. it takes ACTIVE MARKETING. flyers at every local event in downey, lakewood, bellflower and norwalk, etc. etc. make sure the servers are reminding the seated guests about the car hop. table tents with a little flyer advertising the hop and cruise nights....

you cant expect the same 50 rodders to be there every day making it happen.

the HOP needs big eye-level signs that say CAR HOP SERVICE!!! Eat in the convenience of your own car!! NO WAITING!!! signs on paramount blvd would be super helpful.
    maybe even block out the spots on one side of the canopy for hop service ONLY and see how it goes.

those hanging menus are cool, but they dont get it. to me they act like the preview menu that alot of restaurants display for guests who are waiting to get seated. this thing is going to need attention.

the HOP needs to be as exciting for kids as a happy meal. get the kids begging their folks to take them to bob's!!!

and yes the rest of us REALLY DO need to support with respect.

I think the original idea of having "car hop dining only" 45 minute limit signs for the busy nights. then kindly enforce it. see how it goes.

NO LAWN CHAIRS UNDER THE CANOPY!

if you guys supply the sign blanks, I'll paint the signs for free.

Kev, i've got almost 10 years of corporate restaurant experience under my belt. customers were my business. My wife has 8 years of corporate experience for the largest cosmetics company in the country and was doing about 10 million a year when she quit. customers are her business. we"d be more than happy to help you with making the canopy succeed. No disrespect to the staff at the broiler, but they are in the box and really don't care. its just another management hassle.

as a former front of house trainer for some VERY large chains i can spot opportunities a mile away. let me know if there's anything i can do to help. Jim doesn't need to know and nobody needs to feel threatened. he can just think you're a genius. we do.

30. John Denich

John Denich

I went a few weeks ago in my 51, I never planned on eating in my car, but what surprized me was the amout of people with there hoods up and LAWN CHAIRS behind thier car while being parked in the carhop area....I even seen some people move their car to a carhop spot and then walk away....These spots are like seats in a restaurant and these girls make money off of tips, I used to be a waiter, and it would suck when you had someone would sit there chitchatting when they were done, move on so the girls can make money and the next guy or girl can pull in! Try going to a Restaurant throwing your jacket on the back of the seat and tell the Waiter or Waitress you will be back in an hour so hold the table...Good Luck with that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.