Register now to get rid of these ads!

shaved door handles Solenoids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasolinedeniz, Feb 15, 2009.

1. i shaved my doorhandles with one of summits or speedways (cant remember )shave kits ,so far so good everything worked fine for a weeks then the soldering from the solenoids ground on the left door failed ,a week later the hot on the right ,what a crap. What kind of solenoids do you guys useing ?

2. cretin

cretin

I got bear claw latches with solenoids built in from Rocky hinge. Been about 2 years trouble free so far.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I bought an SPAL kit years ago and havent had a problem other than the wire rope developing some slack. Summit and the like just relabel Chinese junk with their name. SPAL is made in USA I think.

4. chevyshack

chevyshack

Glad this post came up. I was going to get the kit for my 52 from Summit. Guess I'll keep looking else where.

5. oj

oj

I've used a few different including autoloc (worked ok, not my favorite tho) when i heard somebody on the HAMB mention linear actuators instead of solenoids. No racket when opening. The next time i do one i'll look into the actuators, they'd be available from industrial suppliers like McMaster-Carr. Just a thought, oj

6. I used 70's GM power door lock solenoids on my 64 Pontiac 20+ years ago and never failed in nearly 10 years of daily operation, and they still work now, but it doesn't go out as much as it used to at the moment. ;)

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I would go to OEM GM 1970s, door or trunk solenoids.

8. roddinron

roddinron

Well, I did mine a little different on my 39 Pontiac. I used latches from a little dodge Omni I think it was. They're little square latches. What I did different was I installed them backwards. They don't need to be in the door if you're not going to use a handle anyway. I put the post on the door and the latch in the pillar. That way, wires don't ever get pinched in the door, slamming doesn't shake anything loose, nothing gets wet, and it's real easy to run a safety cable out the bottom of the car. My cheap JC Whitney solenoid kit is still working fine after 20 yrs. A lot of guys bitch about no door handles, but I love mine even if my hands are full, I can open my door, very convenient.

9. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

70's GM is what I have used, like caddy
    and from rear doors that weren't used as much.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I never had any luck with using power door lock motors on older cars, not enough power to pop them. Likewise, I have seen too many problems with using (starter) solenoids. Seems they like to lock up and draw excessive amperage, and fry your wiring.
    I've been using Ball's motors for the last 20 something years. They are a gear reduction motor, so they are small and use less amps to work. Had them in daily drivers for many years without failure. I usually buy them from Brockman, the Mellowtone Muffler people.

11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Did you use a hidden switch if for some reason you needed it? If you did how did you wire it? I've got a IC Dynamics remote keyless unit from Rocky Hinge that works fine but I can't get the hidden switch wired correctly (blows fuses) and Rocky has not been able to help. Appreciate any thoughts.

12. Gretta's Owner

Gretta's Owner

Linear actuators are also availible from autoloc. I have them set up on my wagon in place of a solenoid, they at the same time close the suicide lock I put in the rear doors. which i could also have bought but I thought my design would be a cheap and easy build. turns out I was wrong but it works!

13. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The linear actuators are far superior. There was a company called Balls that made 'em, I know it's a funny name. I have found some on ebay cheap that are from modern vehicles.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Oh shoot, just read chopolds post, sorry for the repeat.

15. Verminator

Verminator

The screwmotor/actuators are the way to go. Never had one fail. Back in the 70's I had a Cal Custom solenoid stick and started burning !!! I had to rip the crap out of my door panel to get it apart before the fire started. Yes, I grabbed the burning hot wire.... Yes we learned about adding fuses and relays !!!!

16. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

I've used Autoloc also.
    They lasted about 6 months...they don't like the cold

17. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I did the "kit" thing before-
    Lost my remotes and couldn't open the doors!

Now I swear by the "hidden key-switch" opener....
    Instead of the remote, you wire the o/s door to a hidden keyed switch.

As for your question about what to use??

I say just go to Pick N Pull on a half-price day and pull as many starter-solenoids as you can!!
    (OEM always seems better than aftermarket, even if you use it for something else!)

18. Autoloc does indeed have solenoids {pn sl35 for 35-50lb pull or sl50 for 50-100lb pull} we also have kits in a wide variety of solenoid sizes and remote channels. I always recommend adding a hidden key switch/emergency release cable. I know Gretta's owner is running ours with a hidden key switch. we also can help you with the linear actuators if you would like to go that route.

19. Pm me with your info and I will see what I can do to help. a rough schematic or a pic of your layout, or both, would help a lot too.

20. Spridle

Spridle

Don't mean to step on your toes. I've had good luck with the products and support from AVS in the past for many things. You guys can find them at airbagparts.com

21. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I take no offense what so ever Spridle. I was just offering what we have. The HAMB is all about info.
    -adam