Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Vargo reunion car show -roll call 11-7-09

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Oct 9, 2009.

1. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

some more

Attached Files:

2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

great event...the old drag cars were the highlight of the day. The twin hemi rail was incredible. Met some new folks also today. By 9:00am the strip was full of cars..I feel sorry for the guys who showed up around noon or later. I heard they were turning cars away it was so full. And at $15 a head for the cars they made some good money too.

I have to admit that leaving my place at 5:30 am in the dark, on the coldest morning of the year so far, and driving a hour and a half with no top has motivated me to put the top on my roadster asap.. My balls are still frozen! :D

Thanks for sharing the pictures too Peter...I think I'll use that pic of mine for my avatar for a while.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  3. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yeah Jerry, I didn't get there until mid-day (as a spectator) & ended up parking in a field next to the local hotel about a 1/4 mile away. But, it was a nice walk through the fields to get to the strip. It was really was a classic PA fall day with tons of cars & a lot of HAMBers. Thanks for organizing Hotrodsurfer & the pics Beatnik Pirate & the beer & food Gbones32coupe.

4. yep thats me,i have known carol and julie since high school! it was awesome seeing "get around " at varo!

5. george it was good to meet you,i did not make the connection untill i saw your car

6. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Damn! Missed it!!!!

Had things to do Saturday morning, so I figure no big deal, I'll show up around 11:00 or so. At 11:30 I can't find anyplace to park; the Elephant Hotel lot is full, and parking in a ditch on one of the local NARROW back roads is the only option.....so I went back home.

The only good thing is that I live on 313 (Swamp Road) about 3 miles away from Vargo's and all day long I heard and saw some really nice machines go by my place.

7. the shadow

the shadow

don't feel bad dave I had alot of stuff to do around my place (due to 2 weekends of rain) and intended on go ing up around 10:30 am....by the time I made a dent in my yard it was 1pm and 2:45 by the time I finished. I figured by the time I clean up and drive up it would be 4 pm so I aced the trip.
    Paul

8. what a good HAMB turn out on saturday,unfortunatly all of us did not get to park as a group,we did have a meet and greet at noon,it was nice to see all you hoodlums again -for next year i will have a more central place for us all to meet and hopefully we can all be together as a group

9. George T G

George T G

Maybe if you spoke with Joe we could preregester as a group and could set up ahead and save that many spaces and maybe squeeze an extra two or three.
    I guess that is if he is there . I heard several stories. Eveh he did not give a 100% positive answer. :confused:
    I must have just missed the noon thing. That was about the first trip down the track.
    GEORGE!!

10. last year they let us reserve spots,but we did not have not enough,we had cars parked on the grass and doubled parked in front, this year
    joe sent me an email stating they would not let us "save spots" and in order for us to park together we had to arrive together as a group,becuase of all the rainy wether parking would be tight,i will be working on a place to meet near the track in one central location for guys coming from differntet locations for next year

11. in this picture from left to right
    LongT-Hank37-HotRodSurfer-Jack Thomas (in back) Piewgn & Homemadehardtop57(in back)

Attached Files:

12. :pLooks like you all had a great day for Vargo....Were sorry we missed out....too many----- "put off till tomorrow things going on here":eek:
    Next year we will prepare better:cool:

13. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

got there by 11 and they were turning everyone away, spectators, show cars etc. A shame. Of course, I pulled in anyway and no one said anything so I kept going. It was as packed as I have ever seen it. And like always you wonder what some guys are showing and what relevance it has to 1967-69, Vargo, or hot rods. But whatever turns you on.

Great day in the PA countryside, saw the Hamb banner but everybody was out strollin. Did talk to GEORGE, tho, but I know him. Saw some very nice cars, met some nice people. And saw a white 56 Chvy wagon for sale in the parking lot I loved. Anyone on here?

14. i met george too -caught him at the tent putting graffiti on the banner:D

15. Thanks Chuck it was good to see all you guys at Vargo.

16. 507Photo

507Photo

Venture Crew 507 was there taking pictures. We got as many of the cars as we could and they are on our website: http://www.507photo.org

Thanks to everyone that supported Crew 507 and Crew 1320 at this event. See you next year

17. synthsis

synthsis

late response: No, we got back on the Thursday before the Pumpkin Run. We were in Cali from the 26th to the 5th. 11 days, over 1000 miles on a rental car, a lot of fun.

18. congrats by the way,how bout sharing your exploits with the rest of us
    hot rod related of course :D

19. Hey Chuck,

I was a bit late to the show, sorry I missed you and all the guys. Got there around 2.30 or 3. Not much left, but enough to walk around.

Next time I promise.

MRAK

20. HEY MRAK
    i left at 2:30 had a flyers game to go too, damn sorry i missed you,i didnt get your message untill late sunday afternoon,i left my cell phone on the floor of my race car

21. Goldy

Goldy

Neat! Anyone remember a guy named Skeet Spanniger? I THINK that was his name. My dad used to turn wrenches for him eons ago. They raced a lot at Vargo (from what I'm told since I wasn't even around then). He had an early rail running a big ol hemi in it. :D
    <!-- / message -->c5rider;
    Could you possibly mean Pete Shadinger????? If so he held the NHRA national record in D/Dragster class for quite a while. The dragster was powered by a GMC inline 6 cylinder. I don't think he ever ran a Hemi. Goldy

22. 454navyss

454navyss

my dad said he went to this show but got there late (around noon). does anyone remember seeing (or better yet, have a picture of) a candy apple red 67 vette with a white soft top, 427, side pipes and keystone mags?

23. What's the 2010 date ?

24. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Vargo's website says it will always be held on the first Saturday of November.

25. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

I checked with my dad and he said "nope, it was Skeets Spaninger". He used to own a Texaco station in Blooming Glen, PA. He also used to run with the Bannis Brothers' coupe. There was another guy who had a 32 Chevy with a Pontiac engine in it. He worked at Quakertown Glass. I don't know if anyone remembers these guys but it sounds like they had a ball back in the 60s.

26. Hi C5rider,
    Are you referring to George Bannis running a '32 Chevy coupe from Quakertown, Pa.? He currently still owns the cp. of course it's a very nice street rod..today! George's '32 Chevy Coupe pictured!:)

Also "Louie Lang" who owned and operated Quakertown Glass co. ran a Pontiac powered '32 Chevy D/G sedan red with black fenders called "Hydro Phobia" which later became the all black "Black Satin" '32 D/G sedan running an injected small block chevy mill. Louie went on to race the "Black Satin" D/G '40 Willys cp. sponsored by Coopers Speed Shop of Allentown, Pa. He later went on to race a '67 Chevy Camaro and even ran a beautiful wicked little all black AMC Gremlin! Hope your father has some pics or information on Louie Lang? Sincerely, John:)

****Please click on Link to see Louie Langs early race cars!*******
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453434

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  27. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Hi John.

I'm sure it was George Bannis and his 32. Dad couldn't remember the owner of the pontiac powered ride but, I'll ask if Louie Lang sounds familiar. He said that he passed away a while back from cancer. I'll check with him on it.