Register now to get rid of these ads!

History this is waht the 50's was about

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimv, Oct 27, 2009.

1. autobilly

autobilly

Tracks like; Bottle To The Baby, Can't Hardly Stand It, Tongue Tied Jill, Jungle Fever etc. are amongst the best Rockabilly music ever recorded IMO, just not relevant to this thread.

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I played back-up for him at a Hemsby weekender in the late '90's with my then band The Rough Diamonds.He was pretty sick by then, sang sitting down and only managed about 15 minutes but I have fond memories of in particular "Stutterin' Cindy" and the brilliant "Too much alike". Didn't make it as far as "Why don't You" though. I had heard a lot of stories about him being an awkward sumbitch but found him to be a gentleman. R.I.P Charlie.

3. Yeah, I was at McGuire. I didn't listen to anything but WABC (that I can remember). When I was on the airplane I could tune the ADF radio to WSM in Nashville. That worked for me.

4. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Just for shits and grins. 1955 prices: Gas .55 per gallon, Milk .92 per gallon, Stamp .03, Minimum wage: .75 per hour.

5. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

I dunno about "90% of the people in hotrodding" but when I was a teen in 1957 I went with my parents in our new '57 Dodge to visit my aunt in suburban Philadelphia. They had a new local TV program on called "Bandstand," and it was very popular with the kids there. Guys like Dion were on all the time, but to my ignorant SoTex a** it was just a bunch of South Philly greasers. (Oooh, that'll set 'em off!) But guess whose music has survived?! Yeh, I listen to both the "Doo-Wop Shop" and "Rockabilly Roadtrip" on XM.
    Fearless

6. autobilly

autobilly

Wow Paul, you've played with all the Greats!:cool:

"...just not relevant to this thread." Well, I guess he is now.:p

7. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I have got my tickets to see Dick Dale in Auburn California on December 19th. Looking foward to it!

Mike

8. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

Link Wray is the shit! I have loved the instrumental Rumble ever since i was probably 6 or 7 when i heard it for the first time! When i got old enough to find out who it was i would listen to it so much it would piss people off! As far as the sonics go i had never heard them until i went to Bleeds myspace a couple years back he had Have Love Will Travel as his profile song and now i have the same fondness for them as i do Link! I really have fallen into that where its pretty much all i listen to and alot of people ask me why i listen to such weird music but i just laugh and say If you only Knew!

9. He is as loud, fast and hard as ever. Sometimes, his kid plays with him, almost as talented. I have seen Dick Dale at least 7 or 8 times and even got to sit and have coffee with him for about two hours at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas. Man, the stories! I was like a idiot fan when I met him the night before, got him sign the first album I ever bought, "Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar" and my "The Tiger Loose" album. Luckily, my wife had help book him for the hotel and kinda help grease the wheels, so I wasn't too obnoxious.

10. skywolf

skywolf

Dion is the musical equivalent of Howard Cunningham's DeSoto.

11. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

You mean death metal isn't traditional? Damn....

12. skywolf

skywolf

Link Wray's Rawhide is a totally different song to the TV theme.

13. Jimv

Jimv

This needs some explaining?? lol
    JimV

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yes,I'm trying very hard to forget Pat Boone

And Pat Boone is the musical equivalent of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'

15. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

yeah... didn't he just do watered down versions of other people's songs?

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This really got me today !

Enjoy - Those that dig the real shit, that is !

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/26VCVItGMIo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/26VCVItGMIo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. I don't know where you were in 1955 but gas sure as hell wasn't .55 a gallon in MO. I couldn't have afforded to go to Springfield if it had been. It was more like .19 or .20 a gallon. My Dad had an Amoco station in Tampa FL in 1959 and it was only like .36 a gallon and Amoco was usually a penny or two higher than anything else. I remember being in Yellowstone Park in, like '73, and it was .48 a gallon and I liked to have shit a brick. I waited until I got out of the park. And I don't think there was a minimum wage back then. May have been in union country but I don't think so in the Ozarks. The stamp one is about right though.

18. I've heard that instrumental tune. I like that old raw edged stuff too. The old blues and C & W. Country blues.

19. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Yep..... yes we do . Fucking RAD. Thanks. I know this is VLV video Axle but... I miss the Green Bay weekenders.

I'm sure that 1% of you Hambers will appreciate listening to Ruth Brown and watching some real jiving dancers tear it up. Enjoy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypZRBs8TVIg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ypZRBs8TVIg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/QUOTE]

20. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Here is a little known artist the ladies of H.A.M.B. might enjoy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_8v9NKkV00&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_8v9NKkV00&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

21. John B

John B

Not just the ladies, I loved her. She was on my short list of people to see perform before I move on and then cancer took her away from us. I was depressed for awhile over that one.

If you get a chance hunt up a documentary called "Welcome To The Club : The Women of Rockabilly" The interviews with Janis, Wanda Jackson, Brenda Lee and Lorrie Collins are some great history.

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

23. Mench

Mench

I was in the Air Force back in the 60's and we would go to the Spanish Castle,near Seattle to listen to the Sonics,Jimi Hendrix,Paul Revere and the Raiders,etc,etc great time in my life,all the great music,but Viet Nam was not so much fun

mench

24. archied1067

archied1067

thats all i listen to in my car and garage old rockabilly and punk

25. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

that is some good stuff -axle - look up some skip james ( crow jane ) -more good stuff on you tube

26. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey.. great thread eh !
    Go on you tube and punch in Hank C Burnette.... great stuff and hes a car guy
    Pontiac Slim

27. I was a military brat, but no matter where we were living, I could still rock out with WLS Chi-town. Still listen the golden songs

28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

link wray was a genious.

29. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Axle.
    Yesterday I was listening to Elvis' "Don't Say Don't" and although not a Doo-Wop song, the quality of the vocals (including Jordinairs' backing harmonies) and sparsity of instruments make it a good listen for any Doo-Wop fan. Although not such a good song to cruise to, it's a great song to park to!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  30. I love Dion's songs they really good in the Original versions. I cant see them or understand why he would change it up. No need for that. I can play his songs over and over and never get tired of it so why change it? Anyways I really dig Wayne Hancock. His music is awesome. I didn't grow up in the country but always lived in the city of Garden Grove,ca but I love me some country epecially when it sounds like the older country music like Hank Williams sr. My great aunt sang with him on the radio not sure if it was in Pa because thats where she lived all her life i believe.
    <object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PulabLf-9vs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>