Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow, today is the first time I have received notification of any posts on this thread is quite a while! Though I was away for a while. Thank you George, I stand corrected and should have known better, the Corvair was most definitely Bob's and NOT Bill's, DOH.

It must be that Almost that Richie mentioned to my son, LOL.

I also agree that the Cagle Mod is *itchin'.

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That Cagle car ran with NEAR back in the ninties. I ran a flathead, and could hear that big block coming through my helmet, and all the other cars. Must have been neat to see a field of big block cars, all at one time, on the big tracks.

3. George M.

George M.

4. George M.

George M.

I'll be there, Rich! We're flying out in the Morning (Thursday). I've been to every Shoot Out. I wouldn't mss it. Undoubtedly the best race of the year. I'll be in the pits, probably crew chiefing Jeff Malave's Modified #3. Stop by if you can or we can meet at Quaker Steak & Lube at night. Great place. I'll be there with my Brother. Hope to see you. If you see an old gray-haired guy with a True Value Modified Racing Series shirt or sweatshirt, that's probably me.

5. George M.

George M.

I couldn't agree more! I absolutely loved that car!

6. George M.

George M.

[​IMG]

and look who's lined up next to Ken.....It's "THE CHAMP"!

_____________________________________________________________________________

7. toml24

toml24

Does anyone have a photo collection of Ascot Park Gardena Supermodifieds (also called "Flying Wings") from perhaps 1963-1965 that I have not seen?
    Many thanks.
    Thomas Luce

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Finally got a chance to come over here from the very addictive Cageless Midget & pre 1969 Sprint Car picture threads.

Here's a couple of pictues .. The Jarzombek "Bug" (Model A) and the Jarzombek Coupe .. taken this past summer at the historic Hallock Farm show here on the north fork of Long Island, NY.

Both cars have been lovingly restored by the late Chargin' Charlie's brother Ricky Jarzombek & by Charlie's good friend Harold Seaman. .... Marty Himes of the Himes Museum of Motor Sports Nostalgia (Long Island, NY too) played an important part in storing & saving some of the main parts of the "Bug".

Ricky Jarzombek owns the "Bug" & Harold Seaman the coupe.

More modifieds (originally built by the Jarzombek family) .. Charlie "Bunny" Jarzombek rides .. are currently being restored by Ricky & Harold.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  10. I remember watching that car on Friday night at Malta (Albany Saratoga Speedway). Ken's cars were always spotless.

Look at the tubes on Rene's car.

That's when they ran the modifieds and modified sportman together.

11. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I thought it was a great place, as backwards as it was..... it was home to me. I worked there full time 1969 till end of 1972 which was the last of the drag racing at Islip Speedway. I helped on occassion till closing in '84. I raced also in the 1/8 mile and was in several demos including the first black out derby and was in the last group of cars to come out the last night of the 84 season. It was a shame to give up a landmark for a cookie factory.......I guess that's progress

12. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

Marty Himes would be a great source of info on the roundy round racing on Long Island. He has a small museum he tries to run with photos, memorabilia and sometimes a car or two, and plenty of old war stories. I have to track him down since my return to Long Island. The Himes Museum in Bay Shore LI, NY

13. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I did the lettering on the resto 50 and quite a few legend cars that were made to resemble the old modifieds/sportsmans of years ago, did work for Marty Himes to. Great photos.....

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  14. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Were there ever any trucks built as modifieds?

15. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Not allowed in NASCR Modifieds.

16. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I had to ask. Thanks although they would of looked kinda neat huh?

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

1984 .. 25 years ago ALREADY?????
    Sure don't seem that long.

When Flora Figuari (she owned Islip) died, her son wanted nothing to do with the track .. not even leasing it. Too many headaches. .. The Cromarty's were already facing noise problem there.

So the long & short of it was that it was easier for her son to sell it .. put the money in the bank .. live off the interest .. then to live with the headaches of ownership.

Thus the cookie factory.

18. Now I know where all the big blocks went!!

19. Swartzie #6

Swartzie #6
    from WNY

Bill Rafter..I believe this at Syracuse 1962[​IMG]

20. Sucked majorerly. We did the Freeport, Islip, Riverhead round robins when we could, For those that are new, The Bullfather is my son and is the expert now. All my brain cells burnt out.

I think my wife and I cried when Islip closed. We only missed like a hand full of races there together from 1969 to 1984. Then there were the years before for me.

Pete and my daughter grew up in the Pits at Islip and now my son rules at Riverhead with his PitstopPitBull.com site. He learned well.

21. Sucked majorly. We did the Freeport, Islip, Riverhead round robins when we could, For those that are new, The Bullfather is my son and is the expert now. All my brain cells burnt out.

I think my wife and I cried when Islip closed. We only missed like a hand full of races there together from 1969 to 1984. Then there were the years before for me.

Pete and my daughter grew up in the Pits at Islip and now my son rules at Riverhead with his PitstopPitBull.com site. He learned well.

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

From Page 21 here .. post #419

In case no recognizes this place it's the Riverhead Raceway (Long Island, NY). Way back then the guard rail (and it was a "rail") was very unique. A single railroad track .. welded together .. circled the place. The height was set between the height of a midget spindle & a modified spindle.

The debris fence that was used there back then is also recognizeable.

Unless you're a real Old Timer you won't remember that the pits were up front (the front parking lot now by Route 58) back then.

23. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Also from the Riverhead (Long Island, NY) Raceway.

In the 7-11 is Junior Ambrose in his Dad's (John Sr.) car .. which was one of the two 7-11 Ambrose owned coupes. The other one was driven by Joe Krukowski. Joe has that car today (the one he drove) & brings it to various Old Timers events & shows.
    In the 396 is Gary Cretty I believe.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  24. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Again .. More action at the Riverhead (Long Island, NY) Raceway from back then.

THANKS Randomrodder

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Here's Joe Krukowski's 7-11 ride, as it is today.
    (Sorry for the stuff in the way)

Attached Files:

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

"IF" I'm right .. there was another small tow truck similar to this .. also used at the Freeport Speedway (Long Island, NY). The other one had sort of a midget nose or what looked like a midget nose.

What ever happened to that one?

27. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

That is why there is only one track (using that term loosely)on LI. Islip was dealing with the noise issue way back when I worked there. They even gave season passes to the locals.

28. sixtyx

sixtyx

I hope there's a special place in Hell for his kind:mad:

Bruce

29. Ken, thank you for bringing up some of my old posts. My old computer crashed and I lost all those great photos. One day, I will go back and copy them to a disc.

30. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Indeed.

Is that your car in your avatar?

I love the outlaw super late models, but they don't run around here anymore.

Where do you race it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.