Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any 39 chevy owners got an answer for me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nosbaby, Nov 4, 2009.

1. nosbaby

nosbaby

Hello! Long time lurker...first time poster :) My newest project is a basket case '39 Chevy master deluxe sedan 2dr and it's missing many parts. It's going to be put together as an open fronted, fenderless hot rod. But, some of the parts that are missing are the door hinges. I don't want to run a hidden hinge...thats not the look I'm going for. Anyone know where I can find these? I cant seem to find any sold new for a car. Truck hinges are easy to come buy though and look pretty close in the pics... think they might work? Any help is good help! Thanks!

2. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Wescotts (the guys who make glass bodies) say that on theier cars they use both hidden hinges and "stock type" hinges. Maybe give them a call and see if they will replace stock ones and if so, would they sell a set of hinges?

Just an idea.

3. squirrel

squirrel

they fit 39 only, and you'll probably have to find used hinges. Trunk hinges will not work, at all.

4. This sounds like a really bad idea. What is it? Lack of money or lack of good taste or both? Just asking because I am sure I am not the only one. Fat fendered cars need fenders. It will never be a hotrod. Period.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I concur, a fenderless '39 Chevy will look really wierd.

6. I could have picked up a complete front clip for one of those not that long ago, in decent shape, for under $500... I think it was like $200... I bought a hood for my '39 stock car for $20 the year before that.... it's not that hard to find a nose.

You could probably fab the hinges if you have some fabricating skills.

7. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Who gives a shit what you think curspeed! I re-read the post and he never asked about fenders, the question was about hinges, and sorry, i don't have an answer for you on that nosbaby, and I can see neither did you, curbspeed! So quit wasting bandwidth curbspeed! He shouldn't have to build his car to anybody elses standards but his own!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. nosbaby

nosbaby

well... this project is more of a "what I have to work with" type of deal. Basically a frame and main body shell. It was just what was left from a guy who parted it out to bits. To put it back to looking like a 39 would cost more than just starting with a nicer 39 :) Just thought I could make it into something kinda of livable just for a daily beater. Wont have a 39 nose.... no fenders....a little sheet metal mods and WAY lower ... not painted all nice and pretty. Not trying to fit any particular "style"...tasteless or otherwise. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

I'm not telling you "how to build YOUR car", just an experienced "input".

If you want to build it without fenders, do it. It isn't the style I like,,,, but guess what,,, its not MY car, it's YOURS.

Now, with that said, I would offer this advice, build it how you want, BUT, don't make it so you cant add a front clip/nose on it IN THE FUTURE, should you decide to do so, or if the next owner decides to. You can turn steak into hamburger,,,,,,, but it is hard to turn the hamburger back into steak if you decide to later.

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

You are worried that hidden hinges aren't the look you're going for?

How about these?

[​IMG]

You might as well really ugly it up...

11. Curbspeed nailed it.

Haha Rashy... This thread made me think of pops 39, and how cool they look when done right..

12. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Actually, those are cool hinges. Not for a car, but for a gate, those have "the look".

13. nosbaby

nosbaby

only thing that would be modified in a manner that would not allow you to put fenders back on would be the rear wheel wells. But... to put fenders on the quarters would need replaced anyway. Thanks for the thoughts so far... and squirrel .. I said "Truck" hinges.... not "trunk" hinges :) I figure I might just have to fab something. Wescott's does have some ford style hinges that are not drilled yet and they show the dimensions, so that would probably work if needed. I have one hinge (cracked) so at least I have SOMETHING to go off of

14. alchemy

alchemy

I'd say just have some patience and look around. You WILL find hinges, and probably for cheap, if you can wait and search.

As a former '39 Chevy tudor owner (and fellow Iowan), I say please look for fenders while you are looking for the hinges. I would hate to see that sedan driving down an Iowa highway with no fenders. It would hurt my eyes and may cause an accident.

I really miss the '39 I had, because it was a great car. Just the right size on the outside, and a big trunk to haul all your stuff inside. In fact we usually hauled all the suitacases for the rest of the family on long trips as well. Sorry, but I don't have any parts or local Chevy contacts anymore.

15. Moondog13

Moondog13

I picked up a complete front clip for one of those for $100 bucks about 3 years ago at the Turkey Run. Just surface rust too. Nice and solid.

[​IMG]

This was before I installed the new clip. While she was in progress. I agree with what has been said above, fenders are a must!

16. nosbaby

nosbaby

I will keep my eyes open for fenders... I promise :) The guy who parted out this car sold them for darn near $300 each x 4. Not going to buy them for that! Rusty and beat up. Now.... if I can find a clip for the prices you guys have, I would do it in a heart beat.

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

18. That car needs fenders. It'll look ridiculous without them. Sorry.

Don't put the car on the road until you find all four fenders. At least, not unless you trailer it to Missouri first and then drive it at night.

19. nosbaby

nosbaby

Thanks for the ebay link... I'll keep my eyes on them. A little spendy, but I do need them. I would love to put fenders on this car... I swear. Anyone that can find me a front clip and rear fenders relatively cheap and near me, I will jump on it. I've been looking for cheap cars for parts cars, but no luck yet. This is only one of four projects going on right now, so it can sit for a while if it needs to.

20. Or, weld the doors up, put a cage in it, paint numbers on the doors and you're done. But I'll tell you, my '39 coupe was a stock car way back when and I still went out of my way to get a hood to go on it.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey nosbaby, you don't have to promise these guys nothin. You do what you want to do/can do. I've got a '37 coupe, and I've considered doin' the same thing, even though I've got the front portion! Take a look at this one. I don't think it looks so bad. i've given this fenderless late 30's car idea some thought. I think that if some of these guys can make a fenderless rod out of a late 30's or even a 40's truck body, then a guy could certainly do it with a car. The main thing is, that they move the front axle forward as on an early 30's car. That's the trick. In that way, you eliminate the "nose-heavy" look. You get rid of the front "over-hang". Weld a cross-member up front, mount a Ford axle and spring, lengthen your drag-link, mount some headlights kinda low, and you've got the look. But then again, look at this car. He didn't move his axle forward, and it doesn't look too bad to me. The only thing is, his is a '36 that uses an I-beam axle. Yours is a '39 with A-arms. I do have to admit that I don't care for exposed independant suspension. That's why I say that if I did it, I'd use an I-beam...and with the transverse spring as on a Ford, 'cause if you used an I-beam from a Chevy with parallel leaf springs, and moved the axle forward, you'd have to extend the frame in order to have a mounting-point for the front of the springs! I must say also, that if you did all this, you'd probably have as much or more into it than if you just replaced the sheet-metal. Maybe you could start by just replacing the fenders, and replace the hood later to save $. Or....go with your original plan, keep it simple, and say to heck with everbody! Hahahahahaha! Anyway, I just wanted to show you and these nay-sayers this car. I'd drive it. Good luck with the hinge issue too. Later - Rick

[​IMG][​IMG]

22. nosbaby

nosbaby

Thats pretty much what I was going for...and yes...it would have gotten a straight axle to replace the IFS. But!!!! Guess what? Bought a pair of front fenders today :) Still no hinges, but closer. These are actually the original fenders that go to the car. Someone a couple of towns over bought them off ebay then sold his car. I bought them today, so now I need rears.... and whatever it is I need to mount the fronts :) Oh... and a grill...and hood.... and.......