Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have creature comforts in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spook498, Oct 13, 2009.

1. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

My current '32 Tudor project will have heat, AC, radio and maybe power windows in the doors. The dual quad 409, quick change and 3" chop will insure it's still a Hot Rod. I'm not getting any younger and I deserve a little comfort in life. I've done the roadster thing and loved it but it's time to move on.

2. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

I've got a cup holder, a convertor for 12 volt to 110 (for the big fan), good heater, doors on both sides for throwing swap meet parts in.

Can't forget the picnic table and Weber grill. Guys gotta eat.

I don't have a radio or padded seats though.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'm waiting for someone to post they don't have brakes or doors and they put their feet through the floor like Fred Flintstone:)

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I've been known to have used a length of 2by4 as a parking brake on (or should I say 'under') my '62 NewYorker wagon... ;)

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think as the traditional rodders get older you'll see more and more, if it lets someone with a bad back or arthritis continue to enjoy their cars in their old age and be able to make the long drives to shows and to meet their friends, is that a bad thing? or should they remain hard core with their cars parked because they aren't able to drive anymore?

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dual master cylinder.

7. solo_909

solo_909

No Air No radio and for the time being No heater~! and I have a 61 falcon haha

8. BigChief

BigChief

Hey. Hold on a minute here......

I'm sure you MAY have noticed this but all of the 'traditional rodders' are older and many have already died of natural causes. If you think about it, based on the guides set forth by this website, that means anybody who wasn't driving by at least 1965 cannot be considered an an original hot rodder :eek:......anybody gaining driving priviledges after the mid-late sixties would be considered a 'reproduction' hot rodders ......therefore most of us here on the the board are mere copies of the originals....for better or worse. :)

-Bigchief.

9. bill3337

bill3337

I guess I have to admit I'm a wimp. My '33 has heat, air, defrost, tilt windshield, one wiper, roll down back window, power steering, power disk brakes, cruise, great stereo, ipod, power windows and carpet....lol, but I do drive long distances on road trips, sometimes 600 to 700 miles a day, rain or shine and I can still get out at the end of the day in good shape, so it works for me. Oh....and I'm over 60. Bill

10. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Not only do I not have any, but I actually resent them.....

11. Travis

Travis

The man in L.A. who bought my car when it was new decided he didn't want/couldn't afford A/C, which is a bitch in the desert with no window tint(yet).

But hey, the heater works. at least three years ago it did when I actually used it.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why would you resent them? I think people should build their cars the way they want, if they are able to drive more because of creature comforts, whats the problem? I can understand not having 12 way heated power seats, but basic stuff like a heater, wipers, maby power brakes. even having the basics still makes it a pretty simple car. I put cruise in my off topic, not because I really care for it, i actually don't like it much, but my knees won't handle a long trip bent the way they need to be. I'm not talking about your a wuss pain, I'm talking about I have to lean on my wife to walk pain. Like I mentioned before if it's something that enables you to keep driving your hot rod when you are older, then put it in, if it becomes so hard on you to drive it, doesn't that cancel of point of having the car? If you go anymore traditional on some of the cars with nothing, they will have to revert to a horse.

13. fish3y3

fish3y3
    from Plano, Tx

No Creatures on my bike! No A\C gremlins, No tyre demons, and No Brakes!!!

14. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

I didn't say I resent them on other peoples cars..just my own. I like my machinery as pure, basic and simple as can possibly be. My two daily drivers have heat...In my mind, this makes them extravagant luxury cars.

15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

My roadster has a sound system w/ ubs port, cup holders, a heater and seat heaters. I don't mind being hot , but I hate being cold. I do a lot of long distance runs and want a little comfort. My "break-in run was 1600 miles. at 60 yrs old and a lot of roadster miles , it makes me want to keep the pedal down .

16. jmon77

jmon77
    from Tennessee

A cell phone for someone to come and get my ass, if and when I need road side assistance!:D

17. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I have to agree with lostforawhile but it's not just age that sometimes requires some comfort. My girlfriend and I love to travel and drive the wheels off of our cars, that's why the '55 Ford truck I'm putting together will have A/C. I can deal with the heat to a point but my girl will overheat, get sick, and stay sick for awhile if she overheats. So I guess I could be a coolguyhardass like some of the guys in this post and have a "real" hotrod but I'd have to leave my girl and home, and I kinda like her so that isn't an option for me! I guess that's why you see so many of the "coolguys" walking around alone at carshows.

18. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Of course on something with no hood....well that would be a tough sell for me 'cus I'm the first to admit A/C is ugly, so if someone was going to do it it better be well hidden.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've got ipod music, heater, heated seats in my roadster because i like my music and i can't see the point in being cold, you can't see any of them so no problem to me.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

am/fm with CD in all but one old car and heat in all but one,did have a/c in a 53 olds but sold it a few years ago so right now non of my old cars have a/c even though one has it from the factory but it does not work and probably wont fix it.

21. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

I've got wing windows and a cowl vent. That's it. It is a hot rod after all.

22. I don't have door panels in my merc I use the openings as door pockets.

23. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

Air conditioning of coarse! Oh, and my stereo, 4 inch side pipe mufflers behind the 354 Hemi and that's enough!

Attached Files:

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am no expert, and it is no guarantee, but I find that getting a hottie to occupy the passenger seat for any extended period of time necessitates some creature comforts.

It works for me. It might work for you. I've got a full interior, insulation, sound deadening, heat, heated seats, stereo+ipod, a wiper and 360 a/c.

25. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Growing up in Iowa I was always f*cking cold. So when I built the deuce it received heat and air. I kept the cowl vent for those days when you don't really need the air in Oklahoma. What I do love the best is the heater. I can enjoy my 32 almost every day year around.

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No comfort, just creatures, mostly cockroaches.

27. V-Solas

V-Solas

28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

No Creature Comforts In My Car But One On It... 103909493_2664629063861358_7487999856769771009_o.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  29. My old beater finally has heat& air, plus insulation and a interior, warm in te winter & cool in the summer. HRP

mcsfabrication likes this.
  30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I install a mini jack on 6' of cord from the AM radio. I use two 1k resisters, one for each channel. I solder both resisters onto the Purple or Red feed into the radios amp.
    Then mount a switch on the back of the radio one for AM radio and the other for Aux. I plug my iPod into this cable..
    The sound quality is amazing. These Delco radios really put out a decent tone. I bought a pre amp to send a good strong signal to the radios amp with a nice small Blaupunkt amp. This takes a lot of weight off the radios amp.. This feeds two speakers, one 8" wolfer and one 6 x 9 five way Blaupunkt speaker.. They sound very full and give a rich high fidelity sound...

Attached Files: