Register now to get rid of these ads!

corn fed elephant lives!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Sep 8, 2008.

1. rat seeker

rat seeker

2. looking good!! Was it timed?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U30ZOkmfTA4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U30ZOkmfTA4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

no electronics, so no times

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Hunnert Car Heads Up- Union Grove, WI

Attached Files:

5. that car is badass!

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

some of you were asking for videos and an update from the Time Machine Nationals at Union Grove. We are learning with each and every pass. Finally, on the way home Sunday evening it dawned on me that I need to have the engine really good and warm. My two best runs were under that circumstance. This is my first attempt at tuning with E85, so it is a bit of a challenge. We have a couple of runs in the low 10's and now have the confidence that we will get faster. And the best thing, we drove it back in the truck with no problems other than a bad relay (spare on hand). It seems the Corn Fed Elephant is getting well trained and is settling into a routine.

Please check out the videos on the attached link. Some of these races were staged for the photographer, hence, the poor starts by the guy driving the Olds. So all you "Hot Rod" movie buffs, this is as close as we can get to re-creating the movie scene.

http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af302/bobwop/Willys/

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am running consistantly in the high ten's. Hit a 10.70 tonight and got the wheels in the air. Keep on learning and know there is more left.

8. Great stuff - watched the videos, I like it!

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Wish I could have been there yesterday to watch you go fast Bob.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

GoodGuys at Bowling Green was a blast. The Willys hooked hard and went up on the back bumper. I had to give it a slight throttle blip to calm it down. Holy shit! Ran in the 10.70's all weekend

11. lorodz

lorodz

sweet car....love it

12. Wish I could've been there!

Are you going to post the photo's of your car airborn?

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I hope to have photos posted within a couple of days. You can view all the photos from the event by going to www.photosportsusa.com

14. skidsteer

skidsteer

So, on a related note --- does that Olds have ALL the stainless trim , or will I be going nuts looking for that last, elusive piece (talk about foreplay !?!?!?!?!):rolleyes:

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Whose Olds, hers or mine?:D If I recall Denise is clean shaven...the car I mean.:eek: My Olds has all its trim. Don't even ask what it cost to make it all straight and shiny:(

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

the Corn Fed Elephant is now the subject of a talented artist and on display at the shop.

17. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That's cooler than hell Bob. Here it is in the dark. <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  18. Hi Bob, David has a question, How the heck did you make that pumpkin look so good? (both boys really like it)

19. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

I love thoses willy's gasser's and this my friends looks as though it'll turn out to be a fine specimen. Keep us posted.

20. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Dam an artist at work on the car AND that cool pumpkin carving.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Earl Schieb deserves all the credit...he gave the steel the final polish before it hit the track.

I ran the Faded Memories car first (see that thread) and then literally sprinted back to the staging lanes where I had the Willys in waiting. With my helmet still strapped on, I jumped in, buckled up and rolled up to the burnout area. It was cold out, so I kept the rpms up to put some heat in the engine. On E85, this is critical. I also did a LOOONG burnout to help with that same issue.

I had been experimenting with foot-braking, now that everything else had come together, and decided to notch up the rpms at the line under brake. I pushed it up over 3500 rpm and could feel the driveline staining to move the car. Those Oldsmobile drums really held me back! I nailed the tree and WOW, did the car respond.

My years of nose-high starts in tractor pulling helped me make the good decision to slightly blip the throttle. Had I panicked and pedaled it completely, the result may have been a disaster. At the same time, I did not wish to drag the bumper and unload the rear axle.

The talented staff from Photosportsusa captured some great shots! We had a ton of fun reviewing them and selecting the ones we liked best.

The M&H Racemaster tires really work for me. This is a 10.5 tire that will hold this kind of launch and puts it down the track in the 10.70's every time.

In the third photo, note the green light on my tree and the location of my competitor. While it was a much faster car, I sure enjoyed treeing the shit out of her.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  22. Wow that is cool! What a launch! I wish I was riding along for that one!

23. now that's got some get up and go, holly molly she's hangin them

24. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

awesome pics

25. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I seen that in person.....looked GREAT ! ! !

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Bob that is one bad ass car you have there my friend. I love it and the launch says it all.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thank you Joe!

[​IMG]

This is a piece of Joe's remarkable grinder art. I won this beautiful piece on a HAMB auction earlier this summer...months before the wheelie at Beech Bend. I am proud to own a piece of your fabulous artwork, Joe. Your talent is unreal.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

the actual launch here, Joe's remarkable artwork in the above post.

29. This is from the Hunnert Car Heads Up, too bad the Fiat did not start right away, otherwise we could have run together.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPxiS8OTsKs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPxiS8OTsKs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

30. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks, Paul. I hadn't seen that yet. Next year, I am expecting big things from you.