Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap easy wiring harness ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31nash, Jun 28, 2009.

1. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

oh and the other good thing is that everything's already assembled, mount the fuse box and go!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I haven't heard anyone say Haywire yet, but if you go aftermarket, that's what I use. Elpolacko's shop has sold them for years, and I have done about 10 of them. Great quality and cheap. That said, on something that simple with no turn signals or accessories, I have and will in the future start from scratch using a diagram like provided earlier. just make sure to add a brake light circut. the drawback though is that starting with new components and wire (and you should!), It will be damn near as expensive as buying a kit.Find a good electronics supply locally that deals with automotive stuff and go to town. The other advantage with that too is if money is truely tight, you can do it in stages, you know , headlights this week, charging system next week... Just keep it clean and use new stuff, cause nothing sucks worse than sitting by the side of the road wondering why you have no spark, or headlights, or brake lights.....

3. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I went with Rebel Wire for my truck.
    Good customer service,nice harness,good price and I figure,even though I'll never sell my truck,it increased the value of my vehicle too.
    I'm happy and it works,that's what counts.

4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Simple cars don't need wiring kit panels.
    I have used Chev units and looms from 60's 70's parts cars. FREE
    Easy to wire using standard GM color codes and labeled terminals.
    Local libraries have wiring diagram manuals, or use year specific shop manuals.

5. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Same one I bought. Joking I had the wife read the instructions....Now I have her over my shoulder checking my work.:rolleyes:.

6. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

I'm in need of direction. Can I use any of these wiring harness? I need to wire the hole car. Headlights, taillights, dome, turn, Gauges, starter, electric fan, electric fuel pump, radio, heater. I think that's it. Anything else? Well here are the ones I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E8-8...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E12-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-4-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Please let me know which one would work the best. Thanks.....

7. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

8. RDR

RDR

back in '85 my son and i built a model A lowboy roadster...the goal being a $ 500 build...We stripped out a V8 Vega project we got for $200....every part we could use went into the roadster including the wire harnesses and fuse block...that being said the only problem we ever had in many miles and years of driving that car was the SORRY ASS Vega fuse box......corrosion and loose terminals, but what the hell...this is Oregon and if you don't drive in the rain You'd never get to drive your hot rod!! ( Finally discovered dielectic grease ) Don't own the car anymore but it still runs and does have the same Vega wiring......{by the way we blew the budget and ended up spending $1200 on the original build}

9. ive installed all the major brand harnesses
    i put a rebel wire harness in dannyegos 56 chevy and it was by far the best simple cleanly run harness i have ever installed.fast install..awesome.

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I agree! It's way to easy to put a lot of money into a car, unless that is what you want to do.

11. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

All we use is Rebel Wire on our builds. Thanks Glenn for taking the time to stop by and talking with us.
    Derrek

12. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

.......Anyone?

13. Abomb

Abomb

If you can't pick out a harness for your own project, you might be in over your head......

First thing I'd do is get a shop manual that covers your particular vehicle and take a look at the wiring / circuit diagrams. That will give you an idea of the number of circuits you'll need.

14. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

Thanks for the reply, But you didn't answer my question just kind of wasted my time:D Wiring scares the hell out of me so if I can get a simple yes the second one will work than that's all I'm looking for. If anyone wants to go into detail for me then even better. Thanks

15. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

For the extra $10 or so, you should get the E-12 harness. It will do what you asked for and still have extra in case you ever decide to add more, you won't have to splice in.

16. Call Glenn at Rebel. Done.

17. You can call Rich at Affordable Street Rods at 620 792 2836. He will answer any questions you have .He is located in Great Bend Ks.He is always there to help.

18. tinlid

tinlid

The only way you are going to get over your fear of wiring is to dig and and do it. Get the book mentioned earlier "How to wire your street rod start to finish". Speedway does carry it. I have wired a few cars with the help of that book and have learned a lot which makes it easier to figure out problems with other older cars that I have not rewired. Nothing wrong with a kit, and they are nice, and make it easy, but in the older days, there were none available and you had to learn. The old harness will work if not corroded.

19. The amount of time it takes to hand wire a basic automobile is so small it seems to me at least it is silly to buy a kit.
    An ingniton switch , a starter relay, a coil and ballast resistor or electronic unit, dash lights, tail lights, (I have all of the above on my Senior Dragser BTW) and for a street car brake lights, signal (Same wires for both) and wipers, Done finished. You could not spend a whole day doing it if you tried. A basic fuse panel or even inline fuses would be used too.
    Back in the day I ran a specialty tune up shop and engine shop in Belleivlle . often i was approached by insurance comapnies to fix foreign cars with burnt wiring haresses where a harness just wasnt available. I got so used to fixing them that when we built a new race car I just hand wired them without a thought. Now I do it as a matter of course. The biggest obstacle to wiring is the idea that it is hard to do. It isnt. it is simple. One circuit at a time . Mike Sietsma who is doing the 41 Willy gasserr build, wired his to running stage in an afternoon. He is a plumber by profession. Mike went so far as to buy period correct cloth covered wire.
    You do what you want but it is not hard at all. The difficulty is all in our minds.
    Don

20. Abomb

Abomb

No, I told you how to find the answer to your own question ......apparently that's too much work for you though. So, it turns out that trying to help you help yourself is a waste of my time....

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  21. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

The link I posted is a free copy of it :cool:

22. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Abomb,,,, I have found, some guys want to learn how to do things, some guys just want it done.

23. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Have some fun for the next owners, just buy a big roll of BLACK wire and use it for everything.
    Seriously, my Harley has only one red wire on it. Everything else is black wired. Use circuit breakers instead of fuses, the "click-click" helps troubleshooting.
    Best to wait for a rainy day, its' actually not hard at all, just need patience.

24. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

Fuck it. Thanks for everyone's opinion, even yours abomb. I'm going to try doing it myself and see how it comes out. Now where did those links go with the diagrams and parts?:D

25. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

You actually wont regret learning how.

26. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Made my own out of a Speedway fuse block and cloth covered wire form Sac vintage ford. Cheap, and a good learning experience.

27. chubbie

chubbie

the quality of the auto parts store wire and misc. parts is junk compared to a "good" '79 used harness.. don't think so??? next winter unroll your new wire from the roll.....and unwind the used harness from it balled up mess...a 20 year old harness will handle the xtreme temps far better than the cheep crap!!! FACT!!!!

28. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

feel like taking this a step further and labeling wire size and fuse size? and what should be fused? i will be doing this soon enough! and yea..im doing my own wiring.

29. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

im gonna go this way in my 55'.... just getting everything ready and then gonna dive in!
    this is basically perfect

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  30. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

now how would you go about this if it were 12v with HEI?