Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '29 R.P.U. Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark H, Oct 5, 2009.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

2. nice looking build there dude- i did one a few years back, only a '28. Fun aren't they? Keep it going!

3. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

WhiteDevil/Farmer,thanks guys.I've started putting it back together,hopefully have an update this weekend.

4. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

As promised,I have a brief update.
    Started putting it back together today.Just got to fit the rear right brakes and axle and it's a roller!Today is the first time it's sat on it's Firestones.
    [​IMG]
    When I was sorting out the parts,I had to move my Walker Radiator.Lifted the lid of the box and out jumped half a dozen mice!The bastards had made a nest in the foam packing.
    The steering box mount has now been fully welded and dressed,I'm pleased with how it came out.
    [​IMG]
    When sorting out the parts for the rear end,I realised that there were no bearing retainers with the axles as it was dissassembled when I got it.So,I made a pair from steel plate.
    [​IMG]
    Next job is to finish the rear brakes then fit the engine and box.
    Hot Rod Hayride,here I come!(With a bit of luck!)

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Mark, Outsatanding!:D:)

Nick.

6. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Cheers Nick.Got the other side done this afternoon,now officially a roller!
    Also fitted the radiator to the grille shell.Those fuckin' mice have eaten through the overflow tube:mad:.And it was covered in mouse piss:mad:.
    Going back over shortly to get a start on fitting the motor.

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Mark, Maybe the mouse piss will help aid the coolin'!:D:D:D;)

Nick.

8. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Ha Ha!Possibly Nick.Probably make it smell like a whores knickers too!:D:D

9. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Mark, HOW do you know this, did you add the word 'probably' as an after thought?:D:D:D:D:D:eek:;):p

Nick.

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Lookin good man!

11. Looks great. Me loiks what yer doin'. Hot rodding seems to be a universal language.
    Maybe the spreading HAMB gospel could bring a little world peace.

12. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thanks seesko.
    World peace would be nice but,we'd probably end up fighting over who gets the early Ford tin!:D

13. striper

striper

Tilt column, 1930s style. Looks like a quality build....or is that "proper job"?

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thanks striper,much appreciated.Hope it turns out as nice as yours!

15. Or what's the right engine:D.

16. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Got the engine and box fitted today,with the new engine mounts.Plenty of clearance around the steering box too.You'd think I planned it that way!:D
    TECH TIP!If you're using a small Ford in an 'A' or other small car,swap the stock oil filter (5 inch long) for one from a 4-cyl Pinto,Motorcraft EFL-90 or equivalent.It's a direct replacement and is only 3 1/2 inch long.Using this filter, the motor fits between the frame rails with room to service the filter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also got my home made ladder bars mocked up.Not decided on the design for the stiffener yet but,I'll get round to that later.Before I fit them,I want to raise the rear about 1/2 to 1 inch so that all the rake is in the rubber.

[​IMG]
    Mark

17. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Mark, GREAT progress, the engine mounts look bloody Spot-On!

Nick.

18. Looks nice!

I'll be building my own ladder bars this weekend, so I looked closely on yours ;)
    Are you using the 5/8 clevis on the tranny side too??
    Did you use 7/8 OD DOM tubing?? That's what I ordered mine. They're high, but I'd rather have the stronger stuff, if you know what I mean...

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Mark!! I like lots of your details so far... will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks for posting!

Malcolm

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sharp! can't wait to see more progress!

21. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thanks Nick and fuxl.
    fuxl,yes it's 7/8 inch CDS(cold drawn seemless)which I guess is the same as DOM.
    The front of the bar is fitted with an adjustable polyurethane bushed rod end,5/8 inch thread.
    I realised after I'd bought the clevises,rod ends and tubing,that I could have got a ready-made set a lot cheaper!You live and learn,I guess.:)

22. Nice so far! Can you shrink the first series of pics so we can see them without scrolling up and down?

23. Thx Mark!
    I've seen the kit for 350+ Bucks... tubing is about $230 but I can make it to the perfect length!

Keep us posted, like to see how yours turns out!!

Actually, I like the first ones better :D

24. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Malcolm,Pinstriper 40 and Richard D,thanks for the positive comments,much appreciated.
    I don't know if the first pictures can be re-sized after posting.Thankfully I now know how to do it BEFORE posting!:D

25. Chris5.7ltr

Chris5.7ltr

Loving those engine mounts, I have a 351 Clevo in my Pick Up that I'm building but have never really been happy with my mounts and wondered how doing them this way would work.

26. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Hi Chris.These are the second set of engine mounts I've made for this car.The first set did the job but were fugly!
    The new set are much better looking and were easier to make too.
    The top plate is just 1/2 inck steel drilled and cut to shape,early Ford style rubber doughnut in the middle and the lower part just 1/4 inch steel.
    I just messed around with cardboard templates for a while to see what looked o.k.
    Cheers,
    Mark

27. 29paul

29paul

Good looking hot rod

28. Like that 289 sitting there. Those valve Cal Custom Valve covers are so cool.

29. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Thanks 29 paul.
    seesko,thanks.I was originally going to use the stock factory valve covers but these came along at the right time/price!Two of the fins are damaged at the rear of one,no big deal.

30. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Fitted the rad today to check clearance etc.Couldn't resist throwing on the cowl and hood for a sneak peak!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hood's a little out of shape but fixable.