Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tube benders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sammyg, Oct 26, 2009.

1. sammyg

sammyg

All, I think it's time for me to purchase my own tube bender....What do you guys like/use/recommend? JD2 model 3 has the ability to go from smaller tube to bigger tubes:
    http://www.jd2.com/shop/custom.aspx?recid=1
    And it's $295 for the bender, and another $250 for the die I'd need.
    Speedway though has their upright bender which is neat, compact, would fit it for the cages I need to make, but can only do larger tube, and is a good price at $400
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3rd-G...Bender-Assemby,6614.html?parentDisplayId=4883
    If it were up to you, which would you purchase?

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I would be most likely to buy the first one, you might want to bend small stuff later.

3. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Just make sure that you can bend .134 wall tubing with whatever you buy as this wall thickness is now required by alot of Sanctioning bodies....

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using a Tube Shark right now that's on loan from another HAMBer. I like it! I think it can be a little bit of a pain to load, but it bends some pretty thick-walled stuff...

http://www.tubeshark.com/

According to the spec sheet, it says it will do 1" SOLID round! That's just insane!

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

That JD model 3 is what we use for all our stuff. It literally does anything. We added air over hydraulic power a couple of years ago. Now it's almost hands free.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bitchin' Scotty!!

I'll also agree that the air over hydraulic is really nice to have!

7. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have had my tube shark for almost 10 years. Great bender. For the money a JD2 with owner added full hydro, or air over would be a great way to go. Search Pirate4x4 for bender links. I think there are more bender owners on Pirate than any other place on the net.

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

9. ryno

ryno

i have a jd2 model 3 with the extra leverage bar. it works awesome for the very few times ive used it. not sure of your location, but if your close to sw mo id be willing to sell mine.pm me if intrested.

10. KaiserKruiser

KaiserKruiser

I have a Jd2 with a 1 1/2 die and it works for all kinds of stuff go with what works

11. sammyg

sammyg

12. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I have the Mitler bros. not the cheapest by far, but top quality USA made stuff.

JD2 seems to be what most of the other jeepers around here use .
    Check harbor freight for that notcher , you'll save a few bucks.

13. I've used both the manual JD2 and the manual Hossfeld and I much prefer the Hossfeld as I can make up to 180 degree bends with one pull.....no ratcheting required. They both make nice bends.

I have a manual Hossfeld for sale. $250.00 but you have to come get it....I won't ship.

Attached Files:

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

A used Hossfeld can be had pretty cheap these days. And there are dies for everything.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Question for the tube shark users...

Do you find that your air/hydraulic cylinder angle measurements are way off on the side of the cylinder?? Mine seem to be about 10 degree, or so, off.

Sorry to go off on a tangent... Just curious.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey Scooter. We use a tubeshark, and the measurements are off on the cylinder on ours as well. The gage is actually magnetic so you can move it forward or back as needed. mark the cylinder when the tuing is seated and just staring to flex a bit. then move the magnetic gage to zero. The gage will now be EXTREMELY accurate.
    I really like the tubeshark cause it takes no bench space and bends vertically.
    The guy that lent it to you should have loaned you the operating manual too! LOL
    Actually it took me a month to figgure this out too,cause "real men dont need instructions"

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH!!! That's GREAT!! HAHA! I NEVER would have known that and YES! The operating manual would have been VERY helpful!! :D:D:D I figured they would offer one on-line, or something, but NOTHING! ERRR!! The other thing that didn't help was that it was missing most of the die setting pins and I'm pretty sure it's missing other things. HAHAHA! I just could NOT figure out what was going on and the pictures are totally worthless on-line. I had a bunch of pins made and set it up the best my common sense would allow. Took me a bit to figure it out also. It really is a slick bender. Now I know it will be even EASIER when I calibrate the angle gage. :eek::rolleyes::D

Any other tips you can offer for tube sharks? I've only been greasing the lower stationary die. Is that what you guys do?

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Scooter, I have the instructional video and I'd be happy to send a copy your way if you're gonna have the machine for a while. PM me your addy and I'll get it out to ya. May take a day or so to get copied.

19. mottsrods

mottsrods

I also like my Tube Shark....and no, mine isn't off a degree at all.

But I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Baileigh Industrial.....where's Shane when you need him....

20. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

The bender I use is from TJDIESEL Performance. Price and performance wise it couldnt be beat.. It works great for me

21. 36tbird

36tbird

I was just looking at the TJDiesel benders, too. Initial price ain't bad and extra dies aren't outa sight. Says USA made, too. Any others with experience with them? What size die do most initially get?

22. sammyg

sammyg

Ordered the JD2 model 3 tonight.... I'll be waiting for my next several paychecks to get the die then, I'm very excited about it. I should get into some trouble with it... :)

23. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Pay close attention to what dies you order.

1 5/8" is generally used for chrome-moly in NHRA & IHRA type stuff.
    1 3/4" is generally used for mild steel in the above plus circle track stuff.
    The big difference is weight. If you commit to using chrome-moly, it will cost more, but weigh half as much because of the thinner wall allowed and smaller diameter. This is a BIG difference when you put more than 6 points in a car.

We also keep 1 1/4", 1", 3/4" & 1/2".

Chromemoly is a harder metal, but easier to bend due to the lighter wall thickness. Mild steel in .095 or .120 wall really sucks to bend.

The 1 5/8" tube is also easier to put in close to the sides of the car and allows a smaller radius to put the corners tighter, also.

24. domepiece

domepiece

I've used the JD2 a couple times and they work realy well. Looks like the only major difference between the hossfeild and the JD2 is where the handle attaches. And at double the price I couldn't justify the extra money for it. I've bent 2 inch .095 and 1.5 inch in .095 wall. the 1.5 bends pretty easy with the 2 inch not being to bad either. JD2 all the way.

25. choke

choke

I've had a Pro- Bender for about 25 years. It's basically a Hossfeld design using Hossfeld dies. That bender's been fantastic over the years and never failed. In the 90's we used it for a production bender for 6 years when I was part owner of Chopper Guys Frame Products. I'm still using it today with no problems. I think there $2900.00 now without dies. It's a little pricey but it last for ever!!!!

26. sammyg

sammyg

the smaller pro bender was $900? I think? None the less learning to bend tube will take me some time I think...

27. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

28. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

I have a JD2 with a cheapo Harbor freight 10 ton power ram on it and do 2" X .250" (yes, 1/4" wall) on it for tube axles. Easy to use and strong as hell.

29. I got the JD2 model 3 about 6 months ago ,never used one before and now I feel real confident. Been making bumpers for the off road guys.

30. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

I initially started with a 1 3/4" die to do mild steel cages for SCCA ect.
    I have more dies and use it for much more than that now though.