Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Photo update - Billetproof Drags Lakeland, FL 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Oct 25, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I didn't stay long, but everyone was having a good time. A little FU at the gate - entering was a pain. Here are some pix of my favorites. I don't have names or info on these ('cept Doug's A sedan), sorry. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

2. Chopper67

Chopper67

You're right, it was FU at the gate and it was very unorganized. The people at TEC announcing and all the track guys did a great job. But for the support that Florida gave Billet Proof, they did not offer any perks other than hosting the event. The host motel screwed me and other people that pre-registered in a couple different ways and there was no activity other than the Drag Racing venue. They were too cheap to even give a goodie bag of any kind or even a thank you for those who paid and pre-registered. And BTW, those 14 pictures were only a small percentage of cool shit and talent that made Florida Billet Proof Drags a success.

I want to thank all the car clubs that supported it. We all had a great time showing our support.

Also, thanks for taking a cool shot of back of my truck with the Alabama tag that resides in Jax, Fl.

3. Choptop

Choptop

Nothing other than a drag racing venue?

IT WAS A DRAG RACE !!!!!!!:eek:

what else was there supposed to be? A knitting circle?

I'm constantly amazed at what people will find to gripe about. Wow.

I did my best to personally thank most of the people that brought cars to the event.. but I did do it over the P.A. several times.

let me know what/how the host hotel screwed up, if there is something they did wrong I'd like to know as there are certainly many hotels in the area that would be glad to have the biz.

Yer right, I am cheap... but not having a goodie bag for participants at the drag race is not an indication of that... my 10 year old underwear is.. but thats a whole different story :eek::D

I know you said you had fun... maybe I'm taking the tone fo your post wrong... its a little confusing... not trying to bash or anything.. just trying to figure it out... I'm a little confused.

4. S1B

S1B

Look at how many post he has? 1? It was a great time all around!

5. Choptop

Choptop

I know.. huh.. joined in 2007 and only moved to post now by saying there was nothing at the drag racing event... but a drag race...:confused:

really... I'm not even upset... I'm.... well... REALLY confused.

I dont think I really want to know the answer... some things are left better off unknown. :)

6. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

Theres always one in every bunch. He coulda got his moneys worth by watchin the guys next door tear there trucks up :D I know i did! great show can't wait for another

7. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

No attitudes, great cars (love that Hudson with the pinstriping in first post). Had a blast!

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It was more of a test and tune day to me, as there really wasn't any class structure. Certainly not a "real" nostalgia drag event. Perhaps it could morph into a club vs club race day instead of something more serious, anyway? There were several very nice vintage race cars and the the ususal supect rodent rods vying for the best beer tap shifter. How do you drive a car with no firewall or floor boards? Dare you take the kids along?

Still, I didn't see a frown around. Nice weahter. I'd think it could be much bigger next year when the word gets out. How late did it go? Gary

9. mtpockits

mtpockits

for the $10.00 entry fee, i was entertaned 10 fold. if it was free someone will still bitch.

10. Choptop

Choptop

We shut down the lanes at 4pm when there was no longer anyone wanting to race. Hell, I made a couple of passes in the golf cart :D.

The event will indeed be bigger next year I have no doubt. We'll also have a class structure to handle it. For this year we just let everyone run, if you wanted to do some heads up elimination racing you could in lanes 8-9. But we'll have a structure and a ladder for anyone that wants next year.

thanks for coming out, it really was a blast.

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

please dont turn this into the NHRA the run what you brung was wayyyyy more fun.As for structure Blah blah that is like going to a car shw and expecting a trophy its sux.may be 1 class or something...dont change it it was sooooo much fun to run open like we did.STRUCTURE IS BORING!
    if you want structure go to Gator Nationals.Sorry,that is my opinion take for what its worth.

12. Choptop

Choptop

Personally I like the heads up racing... you get to do laps and no one is "eliminated". Just get out there and run. No classes, no trees.

I figured if anyone wanted to keep track of who won what and who was then out they could on their own.

so I agree with ya.

13. msuguydon

msuguydon

For a guy with a four door, family sedan, with shiny paint ... this was the MOST FUN.. I have ever had with my car!!! period.. end of sentence... I was a bit concerned when I rolled in with my son and my helmet and saw true competition cars on trailers..

I made four passes.. and had a BLAST!.... and I got a time slip.. just like the big boys.. that was the best "goodie bag" present you could have given me....

I am coming next year! Don't add a ton of structure...

[​IMG]

14. S1B

S1B

The only thing I would want next year is the ET/MPH board working.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I wasn't bored, not for one second, good job, we shall return.

16. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

My opinion for what it is worth, is to keep it as it was this year.
    If you want class structure, make up your own.
    This event should stay like this. You could not ask for any better. If you wanted to run someone in a grudge race, get in the proper lanes. I did several times and this was way better than any class structure.
    I talked to no one that had a bitch other than getting in off of 33. I am sure that they will take care of that next year.
    As far as a "goodie bag", I got mine out on the track, I'm surprised you did not get yours.
    As I stated in another thread, if you did not have fun at this event, you do not know how to have fun!!!
    Robert

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I got to spank The Karachi Krusher (formerly The Packford) on the track, what more could you ask for, a girl flashing her pink bra out the back of an International Travelall whilst going down the track?
    Yeah, that happened too.

18. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Although I didn't run a car, I had a great time. I agree, don't change a thing. I'm hoping next year to run my Bel Air out there. Show all you guys just how bad I am at drag racing.

19. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

I too agree not to change anything. It keeps it fun and laid back and I can't wait till the next event!

20. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

21. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

I agree, no structure or classes was great! If you needed to make a quick fix on your hot rod you didn't have to worry about missing your class run. I brought a mini bike to run. You know the full custom one. I thought for sure there would be a ton of them but was glad to see more cars. The gate thing was bad, and I hoped out of my truck to help push a guy out of the way who vapor locked in line waiting. I know my burb would have probably done the same thing. But the rest was great. Just my two cents.

22. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Just to drive the point home. DON"T CHANGE ANYTHING! For 35 bucks you can drive your car down a drag strip, with a tree, racing whoever you want, receive a time slip, non stop, all day. There is no way to make this event sound even remotely bad, so don't try it, you'll just look stupid.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

From what I read it sounds like a sucessful event. So not to be considered a pussy for not complaining I'll just say, "I'm really pissed it was so far away from Michigan". Hows that? Can I be part of the "Bitch Club" now?:rolleyes::eek::D

Frank

24. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

No, you can not, you could have drove down and joined us:eek::D
    Robert

25. Skip-o-Matic

Skip-o-Matic

Don, you hit the nail right on the head.
    This was the best time I have ever had with my car since I built it 6 years ago.

As far as the racing goes, don't change a thing Alan. Maybe add some things, but leave the racing format in place just like this year.
    I don't know what that one guy is complaining about. I was under the impression that we were there to drag race, not a car show. Goodie bags are at car shows.
    Activities? I didn't know it was "nursing home for a day" event either.
    Snafus? If there wasn't at least one major, or somewhat major snafu the first time you do this, then not enough people showed up.

Anyhow, those are my opinions, I could be wrong.

VIVA LA BILLETPROOF !

26. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Don and Skip pretty much got this one perfect. The whole idea was to have fun and get away from rules and structure. We get enough of that in real life. I sure didn't hear any bitching....

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I think there should be less structure, how about having a few runs in reverse?

28. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Ha ha THAT could be interesting. :eek:

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Next year, I gonna try and convince Jennifer to take a ride down the strip with me in the Coupe :)

30. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Sounds like to me Alan you're on the Mark with how the first Drag went down ! ... Don't you love when a plan comes together, I'm just sorry I couldn't be there, there's not enough weekends for all the fun stuff!