Register now to get rid of these ads!

I didn't know how weak the

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ls1wagon, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

55-64 Chevy rearends are I have wasted 3 third members now. time for a ford 9"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

<---- Lead foot junkie!

3. great looking longroof ! I guess from your avater that it ls1 powered?

4. Spity

Spity

I dont suppose those massive wheels had anything to do with it... I wonder what the Stock class 409 guys did to keep their rears from exploding.

5. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I remember in the 70s buying those center cections for my buddy's 57 BelAir for 15 bucks. I also remember changing it out twice in one year.

6. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

Yes indeed It put down 499.8hp and 485.6 tq to the rear wheels witch should be right at 623hp at the crank. Only 6.5 lbs of boost.
    [​IMG]

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've blown those rears with a lot less than that. didn't take me 3 to figure they were weak though... I pretty much figured it out after the first one.:rolleyes:

8. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

there is a beaf up kit they sell but I can't see spending that kinda $ on a Bandaid. I left out easy and rolled into it, to do this .

9. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

I just thought I would wait till winter to build a rear, But not know i'll just start driving my caprice and start a month early.

10. cool longroof dude! 9" ford is good choice and you don't seem to be concerned about bolt pattern so here is another option: toyota truck rearend as they have larger dia. axles,4.5" bc., are everywhere cheap,also have dropuot 3rd member. it's the rearend all the "hoppers" use so they don't bend housings. had a warmed over sb. ford in a 75' toyota truck and couldn't blow the rearend out.

11. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

wow, sure glad my wagon has a 100 hp 283, haha won't have to worry about that!

yeah a 9" is better for your beast of a motor and MUCH cheaper bearings but if your bearings were good want to sell em???

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Yup

Attached Files:

13. do you know how wide they are? what years? and are different years different widths? what gear ratios do they come with?

14. Anderson

Anderson

Haha, are you kidding me??? Having ridden in your car, I'm surprised you'd stuck with the original rear end at all. Assumed you had a 9" already...oh well, something else will break after you swap the rear end out.

15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

it's that hair drier you have there that caused that rear to pop.....

16. Steel caps, then when the stock axles start snapping, aftermarket axles. All patchwork fixes on a too weak design. And they were destroying these rears with narrow, rock hard pie crust slicks. Imagine racing these rears with modern tire technology and current H.P. levels. Stand back brother! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

17. Larry T

Larry T

With the weight and horsepower you've got, you'll probably save time and money by starting with a Strange carrier, Daytona pinion support, and good axles. Then you can start working on that two piece drive shaft! Aren't hotrods fun!!
    Larry T

18. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

They kept replacing them OVER and OVER. :rolleyes: or swapped in an Olds.

19. George

George

The GM 12 bolt is suposed to be stronger, the NASCAR guys use 9" because it's easier to change the gears out.

20. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

showcars automotive in Minnesota sells a complete bolt in 9" for the 58-64 chevys

21. Noland

Noland

my uncle had a 61 chevy in the sixtys and he says he put 22 3rd members in that car before he sold it he would push it down the road some when it happened so his dad wouldnt think those black marks were from him

22. 61bone

61bone

I always carried a couple spares in the trunk of the 55. When the local yards ran out of punkins, I went to a 61 Pontiac diff. Stuck out a ways, but with the radiused wells it looked alright.

23. ls1wagon

ls1wagon
    from dallas

I ordered the 3rd member today. we'll see how much this cost in the end!:(