Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Dodge R Lancer Conv. Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart165, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dart165

dart165

thanks guys!

Back to the floors..

The original floors... are bad. (big surprise right?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The frame is surprisingly solid, but you can kind of see that where the frame to body mounts are, is bad... along with a lot of the floor pans.

2. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

I saw one today. Now sure of year. It was Black, very cool.
    I never seen one before. The trim reminded me of a ford crown.
    I had to find this thread. I was telling them about it on here.
    Great Car!

3. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Keep the updates a-comin'. I just cut out the rusted floorpans of my '56 Plymouth Savoy. I'm muy interested in seeing what you do there.

4. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I knew a guy, that had a `55 Lancer two door hardtop project for sale a couple of years ago. It was cheap but I didn't/don't need another project. But couldn't stop thinking how cool it would be as the Mopar version of the Two-Lane Blacktop/ A.G. 55!

Straight axle, all business black naugahyde diamond tuck interior, black paint, w/ fenderwell headers, radiused wheelwells, chrome reverse wheels etc. It would have to have a radical 392 Hemi & 4 spd.
    The more I think about it I should have sold my crap & built that! My cousin even has a 13:1, Hilborn injected, roller cammed 392 on an engine stand, Oh well, I guess it doesn't hurt to daydream!!!

5. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

wow this car is really coming along, very nice project...you are definetly a skilled metal fabricator...working miracles! I have not seen very many 55 dodge convertibles, this will be a bad ass car when done. keep up the good work!!

6. This one is fun to watch - I'm looking forward to see it as a completed ride!

7. dart165

dart165

Thanks again for the great compliments!

So most the floor is shot, we know that much, so out comes the wasted metal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dart165

dart165

I definitely know what ya mean! I've had the urge to do a mopar gasser for a while, though i'm undecided which car i'd wanna sart with. My top three choices would be a 53 or 4 Plaza coupe, a 52 suburban wagon, or a 62 valiant wagon. I have odd tastes...:D

9. dart165

dart165

While we are waitng for some non-rusty floor panels we have some disassembling and clean up to do up front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some serious power washing:
    [​IMG]

10. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Wow awesome work so far. Keep the updates coming.

11. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

What're you gonna do with the frame? Leave it patina'd, rattle-can it, er what? Enquirin' minds need to know...

12. gonmad

gonmad

That is going to be killer car!

My buddy has a 55 hardtop that is pretty cool and a matching vert would be the bomb!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  13. dart165

dart165

Glad you asked!

While we waited for the floors the body came off the frame so the frame could be blasted and painted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dart165

dart165

15. Wow man!!! I need to employ you to help me get the quarters right on my 59 Plymouth. I'm at wits-end...

16. dart165

dart165

i'd willingly help ya if I was the man behind the torch, but that's Bobby's handi work, (and the build is in NJ , which might be a hike ;))

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  17. dart165

dart165

Frame blasted clean and por-15'ed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Dart165, yeah, that's a challenging redo, BUT it sure looks like one WORTH the time and trouble!!! And from your GREAT pic progression, it APPEARS you, sir, have the TOOL and the TALENT.

I'm willing to predict that WHEN IT'S DONE, you won't remember the hours, late nights, busted knuckels, etc.!!! You can just bask in the accolades this convt. will bring! Congrats on your determination and talent.

19. dart165

dart165

thanks for the positive comments!

So the floors finally came in, and while the panels are good for the most part, they're not perfect.
    Onward with some cutting grinding and prepping to get them ready to be fit onto the skeleton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dart165

dart165

21. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

nice work on the Lancer

22. dart165

dart165

So i know I've asked this in other threads but do any of you guys out there know any company that makes drop spindles for these cars?

23. SQUINTS24

SQUINTS24
    from Monrovia

beautiful work, cant wait to see the finished product !

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Fatman has them.

25. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Lookin good man. I can dig it.

26. cool convertable! back in the early 70's my parents had a grocery store and there was a small (barely 5' tall) elderly lady that lived a block away. she had a 55' 4dr 2 tone blue that rarely came out of the garage. she would let me look at the car while she shopped and it had 9000 original miles on it. she was so small she had blocks of wood tied to the pedals and she sat on pillows so she could see. after i loaded the groceries in the car she would sit and let it warm up. after backing into the alley behind the store she would put the wood to it and roast the fucking tires all the way home. her son would stand in the road to stop any cars as she would not get out of it until she was in front of her garage. i finally got a ride and holy shit my asshole was so puckered up i could hardly walk the next block home. one day the car just vanished and i found out the son had sold it so she didn't kill anyone. my first ride in a hemi car, what a memory!

27. sololobo

sololobo

How impressive, I love that front end, I have aspirations of putting a 55 Dodge front end on my project 56 Plymouth 2-dr Suburban, like the Canadian Kingsway. I would love to find that side molding for the 2-dr wagon as well. Remarkable body work and a great build plan, my pal Danny (gotgas) has the market cornered on those MoPar wires. They were an option for that car, hard to keep clean but spectacular. Thanx for sharing this brave build, gives me hope and insperation for mine. Rock on!! ~Sololobo~

28. dart165

dart165

time to get this floor in!

The inner rockers had some rust issues which are now good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. dart165

dart165

Good call.
    For anyone wondering, Fatman has 3" dropped uprights for $395 (+shp)

30. dart165

dart165

As i'm goin along here, i intend to post up anything relevant to the build as far as parts sources, info etc. hopefully anyone looking to build one of these cars can use what they find on this thread and post what they find elswhere to help everyone out! :D

We are gonna run disc brakes on the front of the 55. Through a bit of searching last night i came up with a few places that have disc brake conversions for 55 and 56 dodges desotos plymouths, and chryslers.

Disc brake conversion kits:
    AAJ: http://www.aajbrakes.com/
    ECI: http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/dodge_plymouth_discbrake_conversions.html

MPBrakes (not for the 55 Dodge, but if you have a 49-54 mopar): http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=253

A good source of general tech information about forward look cars:
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/category-view.asp