Register now to get rid of these ads!

1980 Ford 302/C4 flexplate/starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lotus, Aug 25, 2009.

1. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have a 1980 302 (28oz imbalance) that I put a flexplate from a 351W on along with a C4 tranny.

I did not count the teeth on the flexplate and I do not know how to tell if I have a small bellhousing or large bellhousing. How do I tell which bellhousing I have?

I need to know this to figure out if the flexplate has 157 or 165 teeth so I can figure out what starter I need.

Thanks!

2. The starter doesn't care which flexplate you have. You only have to match flexplate, the dust shield (sometimes called separator plate or motor plate) and bell housing together.

3. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Wouldn't the two flexplates with different teeth count use two different starters?

4. Nope, they mesh just fine. Most are 9 tooth and fit more than just Small Block;
    Most 2.0/2.3L inline 4 (manual or auto trans)
    144/170/221 straight 6 (manual or auto trans)
    331-428 FE V8 (except with early 153T ring gear) (manual or auto trans)
    5.0L V8 with 5 speed manual trans or auto trans
    Most 255/260/289/302/351W/351C with auto trans
    There are 2 and 3 bolt versions and differnt roataion of the body itself but that is just a clearance issue, not gear issues.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

starter mts to the bellhousing not the block.

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

well damn, learned all I need to learn today. Thanks for the information!!!!

I will be putting on my starter tonight then.

7. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I have one more question about the starter. I have the starter that was connected between the 302 and top loader 4 speed in my falcon. I am now wanting to use it in my wifes Falcon which has my old 302 and a C4 tranny.

The problem is the starter is too big physically to fit between the bellhousing and steering arm that goes across back there.

You would think the starter would be in the same place (forward/back wise) with a top loader and C4.

Do they make a shorter starter? Am I over looking something?

I fought with the starter trying to get it between the steering arm/bell housing...but it was not much of a fight since the angle I was in made it even hard to hold the starter up there.

(both falcons mentioned are 65. 302 mentioned is a 1980).

8. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

Not exactly an answer to your questions, but I hope the flex plate not only will fit your bell housing, but also that it is for a 28 oz. imbalance or the engine will be short lived.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sounds like you're trying to get a "big" 164 tooth bellhousing C4 in the place a "small" 157 tooth bellhousing needs to be. :eek: They are physically different sizes and early Mustangs/Falcons used the small 157 tooth stuff.

Is this a car that has been running/driving with that trans? Or did you just get it all together?

Just a hunch. If you're talking about a very minor interference problem, ask for a starter from a '93-95 V8 Mustang. They are permanent magnet "mini" starters and may give you the clearance you need. The starter wiring is slightly different, but you can search online for the minor changes needed.

10. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

302 is 1980 and was hooked up to a 4 speed top loader in my 65 ford falcon. This is where the starter came from to.

the C4/flexplate came with the 351W that I bought to put in my Falcon (1970 motor). These were in a 65 ford ranchero when i bought them.

So yeah I am mixing and matching. Both motors are 28 oz imbalance.

It is a minor interference problem. Hell I may just need to raise the car a little more so I can get further underneath and hold the starter better. Maybe there is a certain angle it needs to fit between the bellhousing and steering arm.

That mini starter might be the way for me to go....it uses the same two bolt setup?

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yep. Here's what it looks like.

[​IMG]

12. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

Incase I get stuck going to autozone for the starter...

Ford, Car, Mustang, 1993...then they will get to motor size. what would be my answer for the correct starter? Otherwise the autozone guy will be stuck at this point. :)

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

14. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

bought the starter and have it installed. I have about 1/2" of clearance from the bottom of the starter to the steering arm.

15. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

http://static.am-autoparts.com/part-images/full/AM-16104127_C.jpg

What is this starter for in post #11. It is the one I need. I went to Carquest and asked for a 93 mustang starter. It is skinny like this, but the gear to engage the flywheel is offset from the center. Any help is great. I need this starter to make my headers fit.

16. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

No one can help me out on this? Every parts store I've been to doesn't even have a clue as to what this starter is. No pics of it either. The only place I find it is on the web at AM Auto Parts. This is for a 302 with C4. I don't know what it came out of. The starter that came out was one of the big ass ones and it has 10 teeth.

17. squirrel

squirrel

they have this one? it wont' work for you?

Attached Files:

18. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

That is the one the parts stores are giving me. The measurement on the cone doesn't match with the bulky starter. If I install it I bought it, and don't 100 bucks to waste. The one in the other pic looks more centered for a correct measurement. What do you think?

19. squirrel

squirrel

What are you trying to fit the starter onto?

The important thing is that the gears mesh. If the gear teeth on this starter end up in the same place relative to the ring gear, then it should work. The vertical offset of the gear should not matter.

Might see if a junkyard near you has one you could buy for less? or maybe you need to find a "real" auto parts store with a helpful counterperson tha will let you see if the part fits and return it if it doesn't?

20. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

its a 302 and c4 in a 57 f100 with block huggers, not sure of the year for the motor