Register now to get rid of these ads!

What To Do...what to do???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Seon, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Seon

Seon

I need to replace the engine in my '61 Wagon. While at it I also want to replace the Muncie 4 speed to an automatic ...just too old to be shifting
    :rolleyes:.

Anyway thru Craigslist I found and bought this '79 Chevy Camper Special from an 86 year old original owner who bought and had a dealer install a crate engine and had the th400 rebuild...he provided receipt for the parts and labor. Wow what a find but during the drive home, I realize that the truck was nice and tight and was in excellent running condition plus it's all original.

When I got home I thoroughly inspected it and realize that it would be a crime to pull the engine and tranny out on this original 109K mile truck with 9K miles on the new crate motor and rebuilt tranny, and then to part out the truck :(

What to do...what to do :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's NOT original. The engine was replaced.

SBC crate motors are about $1800 or $2000, right? What did you pay for the truck? Th400 are also pretty inexpensive.

If you're super worried about this run 'o the mill 79 truck that they made absolutely TONS of, then sell it and buy a crate motor. Or just do what you bought it for and piece out the truck and get ALL your money back.

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Yank that bitch and sell the truck for parts!!!

4. If you got a good deal on the truck, use the motor and part it as planned. I always found its best to go with your original ideas as too much planning is too little doing. I was in the same situation recently hating to part out a truck so I saved it. Now a couple years later I'm finally getting rid of it as partial payment toward putting a roof on my building. You'll make out better both ways by parting it and getting something done in the process.

5. drock6570

drock6570

Im with the kid! Yank that bitch. Sell the truck whole and let someone else worry about it. Question is-- Which would you rather drive? your 61 or that ugly ass truck?

6. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Well, since your asking on a "hotrod" site, I think you can pretty much expect "yank the bitch" type answers as I suspect that few here know much about or will appreciate something like a '79 1/2 ton. Kinda like going to a demolition derby site and asking what to do with a nice solid 409 impala. They'ld likely say "Woohoo, enter that bitch. Those are built like a tank?". It may be advantageous to check out opinions on a site like this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php then take the perspectives from BOTH schools of thought (nice '79 1/2ton vs hotrod drivetrain) to draw a conclusion. BTW, they also made TONS of model A's and when they were 30 years old were also considered just an old car with limited to no value to most.

7. Thats a nice truck. It would be my new parts hauler and I would build something else for the car!

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Geezz What a buzz kill. The day a 79 1/2 ton means something to me will be the day I wonder where the world had gone wrong.

Who cares.

It's like this guy I know who wants to put antique plates on his 82 Toyota cause it's a "Classic" now. God help us all...

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Now thats a reasonable answer. I can get behind that logic.

10. i would keep the truck as is too and use it as a parts hauler/daily driver , then get or build something else for for your `61 wagon. can i ask how much you paid?

11. 73RR

73RR

I'm with Tman, how anyone can live without a pickup is beyond my comprehension...sbc's are everywhere, go find another, better yet, put a Buick 455 in that wagon!:eek:

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

x2. there's always a small block and a turbo automatic in the local "bargain news" for sale.

13. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Actually, '79 Fords are becoming collectable and cherry examples are starting to command a pretty good price.

That was my point. On a hotrod site, likely no-one as it's the wrong demographic but there may be a contingent that REALLY cares.

:D I hear ya. Reminds me of when i had my 57 chevy and someone offered me a handsome dollar for it and my grandfather said "wow, if a 57 is worth that, I wonder what that '50 austin I have in the bush would be worth?".

Sorry, didn't mean to be a buzz kill......however, I AM lisenced:D

14. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I would keep the truck, as many as there are around, very FEW are this nice looking and more importantly...STRAIGHT, these trucks were notorious for frame warping, it would be a shame to dismantle it...anyways, sbc are cheap to buy and/or build...th400 are also easily found..unlike this 30 year old c-10...if anything, re-sell the truck as a whole to sombody that will appreciate it, take the money, and buy your parts...just my 2 cents.

15. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

:confused::confused:

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

My truck is an 85 camper special in the same condition. I love the shit out of the ole girl. It's as dependable as a sledgehammer and can be worked harder than any team of mules.

You'd have to spend over 10K to get something equivalent out of the fuel injected era. Plus, it actually gets compliments from strangers. Those old squarebodies are getting old and nice ones are few and far between

Keep it, work it, buy another motor. That's my advice.

PS- there's a lot of posts here about traditional era cars being killed in the 70s & 80s when there wasn't much demand for em. And people clamor "oh my god how could they do that". Well guess what, right now is that era for squarebody trucks. Nobody cares, yet they're still good ole trucks that will someday be appreciated again.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  17. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

keep truck as parts hauler and buy a crate motor. You can get them for $1000 nowadays

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yeah that gets a big WTF. Since when?

19. dmw56

dmw56

If you don't have anothe truck keep it. Parts hauler!! Buy an engine off Craiglist.

20. TexasDart

TexasDart

Plus that looks like a 3/4 ton truck...I'd drive the heck out of it. Maybe take the camper top and running boards off. Looks like a pretty solid survivor type of truck.

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

22. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you have the room for the truck, keep it and buy another engine; if not go with your original plan.

23. retromotors

retromotors

Nice lookin' truck ... I'd keep it and get another engine for your wagon.

24. The bigger mystery to me is, how can anyone on this web site, not appreciate a clean one owner 30 year old pickup? Sure they made a lot of them, but they made a lot of tri-five chevy's, model a's, camaro's etc. Also, and look at the following they have. The same type of following exists for these pickups also, or there wouldn't be so many aftermarket companies catering to them. If you can't appreciate the pickup for what it is, sell it to somebody that does, small block chevies, and turbo 400's are very obtainable-try to find another pickup like that. I'll give you a grand for it...pm me.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Nice truck, I had one of those.
    Bad to the Bone..work horse
    looks like you scored a nice one too.
    personally I'd keep it and use it up for the next 6 to 10 years..
    SBC's grow on trees,, go pluck another one..

frame warping?..if that were the case my 79 would have been a fuckin' pretzel

26. Looks like the perfect parts truck for a 60-72 c10 build.
    Sorry someone had to say it!:)

27. a '79 pickup in that good of condition is not found in these parts, chev, ford or dodge, that thing is nice and clean with a new motor, drive the sucker!

I would imagine in the 70's a '48 Dodge pickup was just an old truck, not so easy to find now.

28. Seon

Seon

Unfortunately I won't be able to keep this '79 truck. Like many of us here, I have too many vehicles. I'll post it in Craigslist and hope someone who can appreciate a very clean truck for $2850. If no takers then I'll be forced to yank the motor and tranny out...man I sure hate the thought :(

29. If you would keep it, or sell it - first remove that topper shell, and the running boards. It will be easier to sell as a clean smooth truck without that topper. I bet if the paint color was red or blue, the ole truck would be a keeper. That is a nice looking pick em up truck.