Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Ford truck project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevinsrodshop, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

This is my 41 truck I picked up a few months ago just a few blocks from my house. Mostly complete but all in boxes. Dragged it home and had to quickly throw the hood and fenders on just to see how it would look.

I picked up a wood kit for it but don't know if I've got the cab pieces in the right order. Looking at the 3 pieces, assuming left is the front of the vehicle, have I got it right?

Also picked up 3 blankets from a gas station last week that'll look good on the seats.

Attached Files:

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Cool project, sorry no help on the wood.

3. mj40's

mj40's

Where did you get your wood kit?

4. Eldorado Rodder

Eldorado Rodder

I have to second mj40's question.
    I need a wood kit for my 40 PU, and from what's left of mine it looks like you've got it, but i can't say for sure.

5. Looks like a nice project,,did you get a title with it? HRP

6. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I bought it from George Moir's in Stony Plain Alberta 780 963 7334. My understanding is that it is a fordwood.com kit.

In Alberta we don't use titles. The vehicle would normally have a registration but that has to be renewed every year and this truck hasn't been on the road in over 25 years. All I have right now is a bill of sale and when the truck is done I get an inspection done on it to verify that serial number isn't stolen, pay a fee and presto a new registration.

7. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Since I've orignally started this thread I've found these pics at Fastlane Rod Shop's website: www.fastlanerodshop.com

I think I had the two pieces on the right in my picture swapped.

Attached Files:

8. 27T

27T

I just bought a '40 truck also, I didnt know it was suppose to have wood?? Is the wood is suppose to be between the cab and frame?

9. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Yes.

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The long pieces of wood in the first picture is for the bed.

11. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

wood? You don't need no stinkin wood.........:d

12. mj40's

mj40's

I have had trouble using those blankets for seat material. They are a woven material with out any backing to hold it together. When cut they unravel and split at the sewn seems. I used a rubber cement around the edges to help hold it together but even that is iffy. Just my 2 cents.

13. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Thanks for the tip mj40.

Yes the longer wood goes under the bed. Haven't even looked at that yet. I've also heard that the wood needs a little sanding to get it to fit properly. They give you a little extra to work with to fit your particular needs.

14. El Gordo

El Gordo

Cool truck!

I google mapped "Hangersville" Alberta

It dosn't compute,

Is it a town that isn't there anymore?

Leave it on!:cool:

15. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

You've got an extra n in there. Hagersville is actually in Ontario. The previous owner bought the truck there then brought it out to Alberta in 2000.

Unfortunately the previous owner sanded off the sign on the other side already. :(

16. El Gordo

El Gordo

That's what I get for Googling with out my glasses:D

Shame about the other door

17. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

nice truck ! as for the wood, they all go under the cab. The long thin one starts under the cowl, the other 2 follow. the 1 with the slit cut in it, is where the floor under the truck joins together. If it stop's raining here sometime this weekend I'll climb under my 40 and take a look at which go's where.
    wayne

18. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

What a great truck. Please leave the lettering on the doors.

19. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I'd appreciate that 40streetrod!

The lettering on the door is what sold me on the truck. Since I've only got the driver's door with the lettering now it'll end up on my garage wall. No way would I paint over that. Door art in that shape doesn't come along often.

20. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

well there's not a lot of room under there to take pictures plus the rain doesn't help either. will try again later if it stops raining
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Thanks! Those pictures explain what the notches in the wood are for. That will help a lot.

22. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

OK, let's try this again

back of cab
    [​IMG]

center of cab
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

from the center to under the cowl

[​IMG]

hope this helps
    GOOD LUCK
    wayne

23. mj40's

mj40's

I used the 46 Ford cab for my 40 pickup build. The cab was setting a little low on the rear of my 40. It was rubbing the running boards. I set mine up with blocks to level the cab and keep it off the boards. Then I made a cardboard pattern to cut my own blocks. All this had to be done because the 40 kit will not work on the 46 cabs. They had the fuel tank under the seat and the floor pan is a little different. I removed the tank and installed the rear frame mounted style tank.

24. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I suppose I could have made my own blocks but since I'd never seen them before I don't mind paying a few bucks this time. Certainly if someone could build a truck they should be able to make the blocks too.

mj40's: what did you use for front suspension? Straight axle (dropped?) or IFS?

25. alittle1

alittle1

what did you use for front suspension? Straight axle (dropped?) or IFS?[/QUOTE]

I used a Mustang IFS in my 40.

Attached Files:

26. mj40's

mj40's

My black 40 pickup has a tube dropped axle but the one I'm building has not been decided yet but leaning toward a Mustang II system. I'm going with a 401 nailhead and 700r4.

27. George G

George G

Looks good!

Where in Alberta are you?

28. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Cowtown.

I was leaning toward MII myself. Already have stock control arms but not rebuilt yet. I was also looking at the welder series cross member.

Do you still use the MII spindle or use another one? I'd like a bigger rotor than 9 inch. What I've read is using a bracket from welder series for the caliper as well and using an 11 inch Granada rotor.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still a bit of a newbie in the rod world.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  29. alittle1

alittle1

I used Granada rotors with 78-82 Camaro calipers with Horton's brackets. Standard Mustang A-arms aren't worth the effort of rebuilding when you consider the price of tubular A-arms. Old Car Center in Langley, BC has some real good deals.