Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heater on a hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Painterman, Dec 1, 2007.

1. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

I was out with my girl last night with no heater in my car. She got cold and I put my arm around her, she said shoudn"t you use two hands, I said yea but I need one to drive.

2. flat34pu

flat34pu

i put the speedway heater in, before i saw some great vintage heaters for sale.
    the speedway has two speeds, but needs to be turned off after awhile because it toast you.
    great when i work the grave shift.
    but now i have 3 vintage models to pick from and then when i get to the body work i will plug the holes from the old speedway heater and drill for the cleaned up vintage i pick.

so put the heater in and be comfertable, but go with a vintage style, they are cool looking in anything:cool:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Anyone know where to get a heater valve like this... this is the one Rolf put on his heater. I need one just like it!

[​IMG]

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

You are awesome Bill!! I tried autozone and advanced auto without any luck! and ebay!

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hey no problem! Always glad to help any way I can. :D

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have a heater, just can't remember which control makes it work................

[​IMG]

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

9. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Hang it out proud for the world to see.... It's already snowed here, so I was using mine yesterday and today...

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

11. Like Langy, I run a vintage Firestone heater in my car. It just ran the Colorado Grand, a thousand-mile drive thru the mountains in CO. On those 40 degree mornings or going over those 12,000 foot passes, we'd turn that little heater on and it really made a difference. In earlier posts, there were comments heaters make too much noise. With open exhaust we couldn't hear the heater at all:).

12. TRUCK_RAT

TRUCK_RAT
    from tulsa

ive got a 57 chevy truck and i smoothed the firewall so i'm putting an underseat heater in itit'll keep the firewall clean and still do the same job some old buicks had them from the factory under the passenger side front seat to help warm the back seat up so i'm basically doing the same thing then running ducts to my defrost and adding vents down by my feet. keep a watch for the tech article

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ahhhh...apparently it expires after a certain time limit! Didn't know that!!!

Just go to Napaonline.com and do a catalog search...entering the amount of info you need...depending on if its a specific or generic search.
    "Napa online" rules!

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Bill

15. Choptop

Choptop

The old saying goes... what you cant hide, enhance.

Get a vintage style heater and put it in your hot rod. Dont listen to anyone freezing their arse off telling you how hard core they are because they dont have a heater maaaaaaaaaan :D.

16. Yeah, since when is chattering teeth and shaking like a dog shittin' razor blades traditional? It gets cold where I live, so I'll take my heater on hi thank you very much!;):D

17. 53 Chevyply

53 Chevyply

Im in southern BC.... Canada... No we dont have igloos. I dont run a heater in the 53 or the coupe. I dont drive em in the snow so why bother?

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can have a radiator shop cut down a heater core to fit the Southwind Housing.
    Or search through the heater core book at NAPA

Some of the guys down south think that it never gets below 50 degrees or that no one would drive his rod when it gets below 50 out and forget that many of us up north drive in much colder weather.
    Also the older you get the less wimpy a good heater and a ac unit seems to be. I could get by fine when I was 25 but at 62 I want my comfort and feel that I and my 60 year old wife of 40 years have earned it.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

19. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I think it's the one between the depth gauge and the wah-wah pedal power indicator light.

No, no, not that one ... the other wah-wah pedal power indicator light.

;)

20. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

My coupe will be a 3-season car, so it'll have a heater.

I found this Tropic-Aire unit at a swap meet and restored it a few years ago.

Warm is cool. :cool:
    Pete

Attached Files:

21. Anyone ever plumbed in rear heat in their car? I'm thinkin about doing this in my phaeton so the kids can keep warm. Top and side curtains going on now:D

Lots of great info on this thread. And some damn cool heaters:cool:

-Shiny

22. oldDavey

oldDavey
    from Mulino, OR

Lotsa really cool old heaters at swaps&places like that. Try and find one that dosen't have a circular core. Can't get new cores for those. I think they're waay cool. I'm old, of course. More age, more heat.

23. Aviator

Aviator

Buy an old vintage heater at swap meet, etc. Restore the case. Go to NAPA on line and shop for a heater core and 12 volt fan. NAPA has many styles with size specs and you can do it a home. You will get the traditional look with state of the art components. Makes a great project.

24. Never mind I already posted on this thread.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  25. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I like to avoid shrinkage in the car. ;)

So I got me a Gen II Vintage Air heater/defroster. Works real niiiiice. :)

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I run heaters. Hide them? Not.

27. I have copies of NAPAs paper catalog that lists PAGES of motors and dimentions. I will gladly fax em to anyone that wants.

28. Plym

That cab is busier than a one legged man at an ass kickin' contest.
    Just keep turnin stuff on and off even if you don't find the heater you'll owrk up a sweat just trying.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I guess it all depends on the car and the look that you want. I yanked out a perfectly good deluxe heater and spent a 100 bucks for the 3 factory heater delete plates.

Years ago I bought an aftermarket 1940s heater in a flea market. When I got it home it had a piece of paper wrapped around one of the tubes. It said... repair 2 leaks, rebuild motor and test. $6.50!

30. Our 1954 Ranch wagon was purchased new without a heater (Heater delete) by my wife's grandmother,she thought it was a was of money,,she had a flower business and thought the flowers would hold up better without heat.

When my wife and I were dating I would help her make her delivery's on Saturdays,,,some of those days when it was in the teens were rough with no defrost and the windshield would ice up on the inside from our breath,,,shaking is the only way we kept from freezing to death.

I like heaters and use them! HRP

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010