Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted my Buick with Rustolium

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cheater Slick, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Cheater Slick

Cheater Slick

Has anybody painted their cars with Rustolium enamel? Okay, it sounds cheezy, but I painted my Buick with semi-gloss white. It actually turned out pretty good. The can said to reduce with asetone. I did just that. I thinned it out a lot and had minimal peel. It took two quarts and around 20 bucks. Can't really beat it for the price and it looks like just about any other suede paint job out there. Next is the roof. I just got my Roth Trippin' Agent Orange in the mail today.

Attached Files:

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

How many coats did you put on to get the coverage you needed? I'd like to try this myself.

3. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

I painted the dump box and transfer box and trailer on my dump truck with it. I shot it with one coat. My boss wouldnt let me prep it but it still looks good. You have to turn the air pressure up on your air gun and dont get a huge spray pattern unless you thin the heck out of it. but then it runs easy.

4. Cheater Slick

Cheater Slick

I sprayed four coats. Two coats covered it fine. I used a Devilbiss HVLP at 20psi. It covered well and sprayed like normal paint.

5. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

I forgot to tell you I was painting Gloss Black. In a 10-20 mph wind at the yard. Talk about fun.

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This is probably going to get a lot of crap, just because it's cheap, and that somehow makes it a rat rod??

I've painted a couple cars with cheap paint (i.e. tractor paint) and the stuff actually comes out decently.

It's by no stretch of the imagination a nice paint job, but for the money I don't think you can beat the stuff.

8. Squablow

Squablow

There's no shame in using a cheaper type of paint if that's what you can afford, I use a lot of Limco since the price is right, if I had unlimited funds I'd buy PPG but I can't. So I don't see any reason not to use the Rustoleum if that's what you can afford.

The part I would question is, flat white? That seems like it's just begging for fingerprints and dirt. Plus white is good for hiding flaws, so I don't know why you wouldn't go for a gloss finish on your paint, but maybe that's just personal choice.

Anyways, looks good in the pictures. The car looks a lot like my '64 Olds 98.

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

where? where is a rat rod?

10. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

I sprayed mine with rustoleum and then cleared it....

Attached Files:

11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

what brand of clear,kind?

12. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

i can't think of the brand off the top of my head. i will check once i get home and let you know. it's done really well. this is the 4th car i have done this way.

13. <<<< cheap ass bastard!!

come on chuckles land barge maybe but not a ratrod , personally i like rides big enough to land a fuckin helocoptor on the hood!!:D

14. mtrhead

mtrhead

i know a guy that sprayed his willys truck with rustolium in a rattel can.. strangly enough it looks half decent.. said his finger hurt like hell when he was done :eek::D

15. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

I thinned the paint 50/50 with acetone. Wet sanded before and after the clear. I think the clear and activator were around $40 for the quart

Attached Files:

16. I did this back in 1999 to my 54 Buick. First time I did it with grey/black, second time was green/black. No reducer, primered the car, opened the cans and poured it right into the gun. 2 coats. Back then I used the quart size cans of Rustoleum Satin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kustom55/sets/72157604426610316/

Attached Files:

17. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

I've painted a few cars with it and I've always had luck out of it. It sprays on easy, and lays down good. The only thing I'd suggest is using a little bit of enamel hardener with each mix, but it's not totally necessary. For the money, Rustoleum is hard to beat.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I'd like to add: If you have an oldie that has to sit OUT, it's better to paint it with Rustoleum than leave it with nothing. Did it, & the metal is better than it would have been. Now, all I have to do is sand the paint off -- easier than sanding rust. AND cheap!

20. Now THAT's how it used to be done! It looks great for the money spent and didn't cost a fortune. Sounds pretty traditional to me and should serve to inspire others to do same. I'm not a mechanic or a painter but I've always been around cars and car people. But after seeing what you've done to yours and along with others I've seen on the HAMB I think I might look for a possible project that won't cost a fortune to invest in but won't break me if I screw it up. Well done!

21. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

It is a suprisingly good paint for the money, lays down fairly smooth. I haven't tried clearing or even buffing it. [​IMG]

I just wonder if it can be covered with an epoxy primer/sealer if you ever wanted to repaint with an actual car paint, rather than having to strip it off first?

22. looks good on ya.!!! I just spent over $1000. on primer, paint, reducer, hardner, because my bodyman would not spray anything else....I bet at 10 ft, yours looks as good.. My buddy rolled his with tremclad, [same stuff] and when that same bodyman saw it he was very surprized how good it looked. For a driver quality, you should not have to spend so much...like the Chevy with the clear. That's what I try to teach the young guys around here, paint it with whatever, by yourself, in the back yard... worst thing that can happen, is you sand it down and clear it !! and polish if you want....wow am I ever talkative this morn, must be the coffee...:D

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

If you ever plan on putting a real paint job, ALL the rustoleum will need to be stripped completely. rustoleum is a oil based paint and is a complete BITCH to paint over. I know this from experience.

24. Appreciate this thread! When you have a family, you need to know how to do your car without neglecting the family.
    Your Buick looks great, thanks for sharing this with us!

25. I too sprayed my truck with rustolium, Did not thin it, just pored it into gun and spray. It came out good, far better than I thought. It sits outside and I just could not let it sit without paint any longer. I was worried about bugs/dirt gitting in the paint (sprayed it outside) but no problem only a couple of bugs, it dryed fast after about 20-30 min it was just tacky and after 2 hours it was dry. any bugs or dirt just rubbed off after the paint was hard. It was a 90+ day
    One thing, this paint will make a BIG mess if you paint inside!

26. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Is there another paint in the same price range that would be better to use? I dont know when Ill ever paint my car the first time , let alone paint it twice but it would be good to know.

27. Cheater Slick

Cheater Slick

Wow, I'm really surprised to see how many of you guys sprayed with this stuff. My friends and family like my paint job so much, we're gonna shoot their cars too.

28. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

You can't beat painting a car for less than $100. Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, raceron1120! This reminds me of when I was still devouring Rod&Custom, etc., back in the early '70s. There was still a sort of competition among guys to see who could get a decent machine on the street for the least money. Back then, some guys claimed they could still do it for a grand or less! Imagine that now? Whoa!