Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats the best way to approach the owner of that old car in the yard????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mx6262, Oct 14, 2009.

1. mx6262

mx6262

I have found a 53 f100:eek: In someones back yard the house is way off the road so I think I have a good shot at this, not sure if the owner is man or woman> What is some of the best ways to go about this.....Honesty is always the best policy;)....

So how do the pro's out there score????

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NC

2. Problem with the owner will be how did you see it.....

3. Tell them you are with the community development department of the county and you are issuing him a notice that it must be removed.Then offer to buy it.

Of course,I was being facetious..

4. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I have done this a number of times over the years and have a good track record. I knock on the door and introduce myself in a non-threatening way. I'm 61 now but did this when I was 18 and for a '37 Chev coupe. Look nice and be polite. I wore a tie back then.
    I say I live in xxxxx and have kind-of been looking for a car/truck like that and was wondering if you would ever sell it to keep me in mind. Or maybe you might be thinking about selling it now?
    At this point you have to strike up a conversation, find some common ground and keep the ball rolling enough to work it into a sale. Might have to stop back a few times.
    Once you build a relationship and if the car was ever for sale they will sell it to you.

5. show up with cash,negotiate a price and have a way to remove it pronto! got to strike fast and silent. last thing you wan't is someone that doesn't know shit about vehicles to consult with someone else that doesn't know shit about vehicles because that really will queer a deal fast! i only speak from experience.

6. fireball350

fireball350

I have talked to a few people about the cars they have in their tree rows. If you can see if from the road just explain that and explain your interest in the pickup.

I usually shoot the bs with the owner for a bit and let him come up with a price for their own stuff. The problem is you will always run into the people that say they are going to do something with it some day eventhough it it rotting away and has not moved in years.

Just start by talking with them and see where it goes. You never know, that pickup might not be for sale but they may have other iron that is or give you a line on where to go for other goodies.

7. I've been watching one like this, a '51 Chev parts car you can see behind a row of trees. Glass gone, part of the roof looks like it's mangled, but there's a lot of good swap parts on one of those. Trouble is no one ever seems to be home when I'm dirivng by unless it's late at night - and I don't like to bother someone out of the blue that late at night. I figure maybe 7:00 max, unless the car's out front with a for sale sign.

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Textbook answer,
    This is the way I do it and it works al the time. I have owned over a hundred cars most bought just like this. Works without the tie or nice dress too. I go as I am tattos and all, put on your best Beaver Cleaver voice and its done.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Just tell them that a friend of a friend told you that they had an old truck that they thought was for sale and go from there. There could be good chance that it isn't for sale and they wished you hadn't stopped by; but this is just from experience.

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

leave a card in the mailbox...then show up a few days later with a smile and cash.

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm also a note guy. Would you like to sell your Chevy? Please give me a call. Then my name # and a thank you.Leave it on the front door. They call.

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I stay away from the mail box, some people freak out on that. wedge it in the front door.

13. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Oh, yeah...once they agree give some sort of cash deposit that both of you sign as a bill of sale that states the amount due and how it will be paid (cash) and when you will show up ( two hours would be nice).

That way you will have a binding agreement that some neighbor or a friend of a friend won't try to buy for $10 more or tell the guy, "Yeah, I heard it really worth..." and leave you whistling Dixie with no car.

14. mx6262

mx6262

I like it!!!!!

I'm so broke its not funny and I want this truck SOOOOOO Bad... I just hope we can come to some agreementXX. Going back out tomorrow....nocked on the door today no answer.....;)

Will post the reselts..

15. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Remember the girl in school you wanted to go out with but she didn't want to go out with you? Then you found somone else and didn't want her but then she wanted you? Same thing.

Don't be too eager or they will get scared thinking you want something they have and therefore it must be very valuable.

16. screwball

screwball

Ive done it successfully more times than my wife would like. But my approach has alway been try to be as polite and courteous as you can . It is there property you are standing on as well as there vehicle trying to purchase.

17. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Ask the nearest neighbor about who lives there.
    Say that if they are elderly, you'd rather get hold of a son or daughter.
    Get them talking about the family and its history, stuff you can bring up later when you get around to talking to them.

Local tax/land records will tell you who owns the property. They might be in a retirement home and get their bills sent to a kid, bookkeeper or attorney.

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Leave a note with a number and name and ask if the truck is for sale? It worked for me

19. 296ardun

296ardun

I don't ask if it is for sale at first, that sometimes puts them off. I tell them that my father/grandfather once had a car like that (ok, so I lie) and just ask if I can look at it. Then after a few "gee, this is just like the one I remember" I ask if maybe it might be for sale.

20. duckman rob

duckman rob
    from NW Indiana

take a teen with you(your own, neighbors, neice, nephew) tell owner the kid has been bugging you to get him a real car he or she can be proud of. works everytime, even for hunting spots.
    we have been busted scouting old farms and such, the kids starts to cry and says he's looking for his puppy, has gotten us out of a few what the h#@^* are you doing here.

21. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

Leave your fake business card in the mailbox or on the door. "Buying junk and unwanted vehicles for scrap"... If you show knowledge and interest in their '53 F-100, they may be on to the fact it's worth some money. Scrap vehicles are going for about $125, cash.

22. RatPin

RatPin

There's a sweet '54 Ford COE near my I'd like to make an offer on. It's way out in farm land. It is fully fenced and has a large "Beware of Dog" sign on the windshield. I can tell it's not running and has been sitting for a good number of years. Wish I could talk to the owner.

23. marcello7x

marcello7x
    from Boston

lmao, the i lost my puppy is awesome...i might try it with a car about 4 houses down i can't tell what it is tho looks to be an early 50's but not sure the make. Might have to slowly drive by with my hi-zoom cam.

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You will be amazed how many people want to talk about there old iron when I was 14 another kid told me of a really old car in the woods behind his neighbors house so my older brother drives me to the house ,I knocked on the door and an old man about 80 comes out asked if he had an old car in the woods he says yes and takes me out to see a 28-29 model A 2 door sedan spent about an hour talking learned his life story , all about how he drove the car from south florida in the 50s then pulled the motor to build a farming tractor , he ended up giving me the car but it was to rough to save. Gave it to another old guy that needed parts . All ended well I used to stop by and visit the old guy he got a kick out of my story about the car falling apart on the trip home , it was so bad the front axle was rotted in half.:eek:

25. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

All good advice here! Don't seem wishy washy or try to bullshit them into selling it for nothing. I've been on both sides here. Just be nice as hell, tell them you'd love to see it on the road again instead of rusting away. Let us know what happens...

26. Find a picture on the web of a restored car/truck the same model and year and print it. Tell them you've been looking for one "just like that" to restore and show them the picture of your "dream" car/truck.
    Most people don't like the idea that you are going to buy it just for resale and flip it for $$$. If they think you're actually wanting it for a project you're chances are much better.
    Take cash, if you have to come back they will most surely back out or want to re-negotiate the price.

Be nice.

27. Fenders

Fenders

Why did that remind me of the movie Paper Moon?

28. nutajunka

nutajunka

Ask if it's for sale, if yes look it over well and offer what you think it's worth. Simple. ;)

29. Tony

Tony

The problem with this is IF the owner dosn't think it's scrap, you will offend him/her and probably kill the chance of getting it.
    I'd do just as a few other's said.
    Just go to the door, be polite, and state why you are there...

On a different note, one of the first post's mentioned the owners possibly wondering how you spotted the car if it was behind a house that is far of the road.. Seriously speaking, i'd wonder that too and am not sure how it would effect me if i were the owner.. might not be a good thing..unfortunately, its a chance you will have to take if you want it.
    If you mentioned somewhere in the thread how you noticed it i missed it..sorry.
    Best of luck!!

Tony

30. SANTO_DIABLO

SANTO_DIABLO

I always stop and ask when i see a old car i like. Just be polite, you'll be surprised! my brother scored a complete 55 Lincoln Capri for $600, i scored my 51 chevy convertible for $5,000!