Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are the freakin' odds? Thanks to a good Samaritan.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I got a feeling it's going to embarass the hell out of him that he's already getting this much attention. He seems to be a pretty low-key kinda guy. I don't have a home address, but here's his shop:

Smiley's Upholstery

502 E 7th St
    Gibson City , IL 60936

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome. It's on. Now, who's got some crap to maybe stripe up, letter anything just to say 'Thanks'? I'm gonna send him a flathead front cover all done up pretty.

3. InPrimer

InPrimer

Nice to hear a good ending story,there is still a lot of good people out there...

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Aw, you're so sweet!

Thanks again man!

5. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Great story. Great guy.

I had something close to that happen to me. I was in northern Indiana, outside of Ft. Wayne when I blew a rear wheel bearing on my daily. The one guy who stopped to offer help offered me the opportunity to unload the lumber from his truck for him fixing my bearing. He took me into town where the local NAPA store had one bearing set on the shelf. We went back to this guys house, right in front of where I broke down and he did his thing - Turns out this guy worked on a GM assembly line for over 30 years... PACKING WHEEL BEARINGS!!! What are the odds of that? He even taught me how to pack them with grease the right way. It felt great getting that kind of attention.

The guy I met and this guy Matt are a rare find and should be thanked until it feels awkward. The deserve it.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yep! John IS good people. He sent me parts BEFORE I sent him payment for them. Good dude, for sure. :cool:

Sorry to hear you weren't able to make it into the Pileup. Car is looking good!

Malcolm

7. mrdodge

mrdodge

That there is what it is all about. Go Matt

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome story, whatta guy!:D

9. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

This is a refreshing story after all the post about all the people that were turned away, the amount of 'rat rod' cars there, and the few people that were complete idiots when leaving the show because they could not get out and traffic was blocked up. I'm glad to hear you up and running again, he sounds like a great guy. Well see you there next year, hopfully it won't be as cold, I froze too going up there, it was worth it.

10. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Dude your hot rod is awesome!

11. bigken

bigken

Kuddo's to Matt - thanks for helpin' a brother in need.

12. Keep

Keep

Cool story thanks for posting, nice ride as well. Glad to hear there are still some folks out there that will help out when they can.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I know how it feels to be helped by a total stranger. I'm crossing Canada on my way from Michigan to Pennsylvania to visit my grandparents. I've got a flat tire at 1:00 AM in the middle of nowhere. The spare is flat and I'm sitting beside the road wondering what I'm going to do. I'm driving a '55 Chevy 2dr so I'm thinking in the morning I might get a spare if I can get to the next town, somehow. Got back in the car an decided to catch some sleep. A half hour later a car pulls up, the owner raps on the window and asks if I'm in trouble. Doesn't see the flat as it's on the curb side. I tell him my story. He goes to the trunk of his car and pulls out the spare, of a brand new '61 Chevy 4dr. He helps me change the tire and asks if there is anything else I need. I ask if he wants me to follow him into town and get a tire so he can get his off my car. He shakes my hand, says he and his wife have got about 150 miles to go the see thier son and family so they haven't time to wait. I ask him about his new tire and how I'm going to get it to him. His reply floored me and is still amazing to this day. "Don't worry about the tire, glad we could help out. Give someone else a hand someday and it will be enough payment for me."
    DAMN!!!...............there are some really nice people out there and they seem to appear just at the right time. Gotta tell you that made a powerful impression on a 17 year old kid away from home on his own for the first time.

Frank

14. good on you Matt. people like you make the world a better place. hope your on the hamb.

15. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

How about we all send him a Christmas card! Wouldn't that blow his mind!

16. I would have to say that the big guy upstairs was looking after you. A BIG THANKS to Matt for taking the time to lend a helping hand to one in need! What goes around comes around! By the way cool ride

17. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

Exactly... even if I am in a hurry or running late, I will at least ask a fellow car guy if they need me to call someone for them. Car people are good people in general.

I am glad that guys like Matt are still out there helping guys out.

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Kool story. for as many car guys there are around it doest necessareley means you find someone that helps you while your car is fried! I think i know that from experience.......

Kool little cdan you have anyway! mind droppin a build up link? :)

19. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

it's all that good clean living....or maybe it's just dumb luck....lol

20. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Good to here there are still some nice people out there glad you made a freind

21. Pass the plate, listening to the HAMB gospel, I don't wanna be late.

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ok! I did it myself! Went to your profile page and lookt at it....:eek:
    Very nice indeed! Im sure its a keeper!

23. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Oops, sorry, didn't see you ask about pics. I can send you links to the threads for the actual build if you'd like.

I guess it's a keeper, but I plan on selling eventually to fund the next project. Got some changes to do first though, and cruise another summer before it's gone.

24. I nominate Matt to be inducted into the HAMB Hall of Fame; what a great story.
    Just think of the great book that could be written of all these cool stories about going just to the Pileup, everybody's got one.
    ...sure hope you get into the show next year; maybe you need to stop and pick up Matt on your way.

25. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

I do stuff like that for a selfish reason...it makes me feel good to help. But then lots of times I'm in the garage all alone working on my own junk. Oh well keeps me out of trouble.

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome story. i'm going to have to go through gibson city on the way to bonneville next summer and buy that fella a root beer.

27. 18n57

18n57

Cool story, sure helps to restore your faith in your fellow man. Good stories like this should make the front page !! Matt has some good karma comin his way. Oh, and thats a cool ride.

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, its a great feeling to get help from someone like that.
    I find it hard to drive by anyone with the hood up but we dont have as many crazies here so its pretty safe to stop, so I do.

Had that re payed one day in the 38, stuck about 80km from home with a collapsed front right wheel bearing. I was pulled into a closed service station with the car jacked up wondering what the hell I was going to do, sunday arvo about 4.30pm!

I'm scratching my head when a sweet sounding V8 pulls in beside me, I look around and theres a nice brown 37 coupe parked there. We had a chat and he said,
    'Give me whats left of the bearing, I may be able to help you',
    My father had built that car and I had no idea what bearings he had used!
    About 15 minutes later he pulls back in with the correct bearing!!
    Helped me put it together then refused anything for the parts!
    I wish I could remember his name! For you Aussies hes in the Woolongong area, shake his hand for me if you know him!
    Doc.

29. smileys

smileys
    from illinois

just wanted to say thanks to john for writing such nice things about me and my shop was nice to help and for any other rodders in the area who need any help dont be afraid to ask we will be glad to help 217 784 5311 shop matt