Register now to get rid of these ads!

I-Beam front suspension....hows it drive and handle???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 93blazer4dr, Oct 11, 2009.

1. OK I wanna steel this post so here is my suggestion for my question. (did I get that right?)

How come a straite axle haint straite and did anyone ever really drop a dropped axle, didn't it git bended?

The doc changed my meds again and I just gotta all you muther stabbers is toooo darmned serious. As Aldius Huxley (sp?) put it "Take a gam instead of a damn."

Man I feel like the absolute nicest guy on the planet. I think I'll just take me a little cruise down rose colored glasses lane.

But just so you fellas don't feel like I've completely lost it why don't you all take an aeronautical intercourse at a tumbling piece of pastry.
    Well unless that is if your somebody that I like in which case there is something decidedly wrong with you and maybe you should comb that corn out of your hair.

2. 6inarow

6inarow

Ah you are too nice to the pussies who posted in this thread

3. spellsinger

spellsinger
    from California

Well, I built a couple of these. One was in a 24 dodge rat rod with a mor drop axle. I mounted a mustang rack behind it, and just used it for the tie rods. It worked well, but did have issues when hitting a bump, the axle tended to move sideways on the spring hangers. I put in a bar with two heim joints to control it, end of problem. I built another with a cut down ford solid axle, and hung it in front like model T's. I mounted it with split wishbones, and a heim transverse bar, it worked well to over 100 mph, through some california truck waves and pot holes on the freeway.

The main thing is that you need to center it all directions, set it for the correct caster (for the I beam), and make sure you don't have worn out king pins, or other parts. It is not a late model ifs, but if it is set up properly, you should have no problems at all. The big factor here seems to be a transverse bar mounted so it will not move side to side on the spring hangers. The longer the bar the better, and of course, you need to mount the bar as near parallel to the ground as possible, with the front end fully loaded.

Attached Files:

4. Weasel

Weasel

Damn - that last sentence destroyed my day!:D

5. banjorear

banjorear

Right on. Truth!

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It all comes down to two things,
    1. How well you set it up.

2. If you are too much of a fucking girl for a real car.

I ran an I beam in my daily (38 Ford coupe) for a good ten years, didn't have a problem with it but then again I'm a hot rodder and I'm in it because I love the car. Even if it didn't handle like a Ferrari, it was no worse than any 60s era car either.
    Doc.

7. Anybody notice that 93blazer4dr has left the building? Short attention span...on to other things. I think the avitar pretty much says it all.

Jasper6120 likes this.
  8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if he's asking about how well rigid frames handle for his YZF R1 powered Rat Bike on the Jockey Journal?

9. mj40's

mj40's

I have driven an I beam stock axle in my 40 Ford coupe for over 200,000 miles with no problems. Steering is cross steering with a Saginaw 525 box and I do have a steering dampener hooked from the axle to the steering arm. As far as jumping all over the road, BUNK! I do have a dropped tube axle in my 40 pickup. It drives nice but very noise around the back streets. It also has a steering dampener.

10. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

My $.02:

i've driven and riden in a few vehicles with actual I-beam straight axle and also i'm thinking this type of front suspension is not too different from say, most gm full size 4X4 trucks before say 1988?

On a very smooth road it's hard to tell the difference between it and IFS. When bumps, unsmooth road surfaces come then the differences are immediately apparent. But straight axle is not all over the road or unsafe.

It's hard for me to describe in words, but it's sort of like this:

i've been used to driving/riding in cars with solid rear axle all my life and had "gotten used to it." Then i drove a corvette and then a mercedes 190E.

i don't ever want to go back to a car that runs a solid rear axle if i can help it.

But cars with solid rear axles are not unsafe or "all over the road."

Well, boyo, don't give up, be open-minded and don't be afraid to ask more and more questions (even after this lashing).

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Maybe we need a new section of the forum where new guys with what are classified as dumb or redundant questions or requests can post their first few posts. That way the guys with the torches can go to one area and flame away, and the poor newbies can get heat treated, and oughened up before moving out into the general population.

A special moderator would be needed to decide when these folks are no longer FNG's and their questions are suitable for the rest of us unwashed riff raff.

12. Mattilac

Mattilac

"Straight axles all the way! If you ain't straight then your gay!"

13. You and a bunch of others on this thread need to read the HAMB mission statement. I can't believe this question is even being debated here:eek::rolleyes: