Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heads Up MAINERS! - BAD NEWS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I just found out that Bishop's has been sold and everything is being crushed as we speak. He's not answering his phone, BUT some friends of mine managed to get in touch with his son who said he might be able to work some side deals for some of the cars that are left. I hear they are going to be doing all that tomorrow.
    I wish I knew more but that's it.
    For those of you who know about Bishop's - this is obviously the end of an era and a damn shame. Wish we (car guys) had known about his decision to scrap earlier. This is news to everyone I've talked to.
    :(

2. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

That's a big 'OH SHIT'. What a disappointment. I have been going to go there for past three years, one of those things I put off, ya know?
    Hi Sam. Perley

3. Wheelless

Wheelless

i was there once... that's sad but i tried to make contact with them several times and no luck.. more old tin gone to China i suppose.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can never understand the idea behind crushing everything in a yard like that when the owner decides to close rather than making cash deals and probably getting a lot better price out of a lot of it.

Sometimes I think the owner is just flat tired of dealing with people and at others I think it is shear oneryness showing up. Not much can be said of family members of someone who has passed away and they don't want to fool with it or just don't care.

Hope you guys in Maine can grab a few things before they are all gone.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. Because the crusher guy pays in cash, no questions, no complaints, takes them all and that's that. When you're talking selling 1000 cars for roughly $300 each in one shot, there's no need to be messing around to maybe make $200 more on the 5 or 10 best cars. Business, plain and simple.

6. If this stuff is so good why haven't guys purchased it last week, last month, or last year?? It's all going sometime.

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in southern maine and never heard of the place. Where was / is it?

8. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

hey sam,didn't look before i leaped!posted "crushing news"as soon as i got home , meeting ron in the AM. to shuffle the ten down rt 16 a few miles.do you have the picture i took last year on the lawn with you loolin through the grill you bought?how about the weird banjo music and someone squealing like a pig at THAT store?LMAO

9. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Is this for real? Anyone up that way verify this?

-Torr

10. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

11. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

these pictures were taken last year about this same time ,sam can vouch for them.we worked our asses off fo the ones we did drag out!!!!

Attached Files:

12. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Have they crushed the "Railroad Cars" yet?

13. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

hope not,will know in the am.had pics of the insides w/ the pad printed boxes,think they are in my old 'putter.real cool printing and filled with NEW parts,but its just cash to the junk man

14. That sucks..I'm going to check it out tomorrow...( I live about 30 miles from Lagrange Maine) I knew a guy...Mel Clark (he use to own Mel's Truck stop on Rt. 1)..he moved to Lakeview Plantation outside of Brownville Juntion here in Maine...anyways he knew the Bishops boys so took me to the yards......I could not believe my eyes...I even got into some of the barns and buildings...there was a private junk yard behind the house...it had all 50's and 60's cars...the one by the road had the earlys Fords....what a shame....hundreds of classics...:mad:

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Torr - rest easy, Jim's okay. As for the railroad cars, I don't know if Mark remembers, but last year when we were there Jim was proudly showing off his collection and when he swung the doors of his railcars open - lo and behold some fuckers had come by and busted open all those wooden crates full of n.o.s. cranks and parts and stolen them for scrap. Jim was NOT too happy.
    I imagine it's things like this that make him just want to get rid of the whole shebang.
    I'm pissed I can't be there today, but hopefully I can swing by tomorrow.

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gigantor, now if I understand, you've made a NEW post updating status, and the GOOD stuff is NOT gonna get crushed (only the picked-over and the "gone" stuff)? Is that right? I sure hope.

17. screwball

screwball

there is enough there to make a couple roadster pick ups or closed cabs. If the price is the same as scrap you could have two for less that a 100.00 but as hourders often do they would most likley want more than scrap as they load them into the truck. Sorry for the sinicissim but seeing buildable stuff being melted down to support China burns my butt.Why did our guys die to Korea so we can give the Chinease our freedom now for cheap labour and products. Please ignore the spelling I cant find my dictonary.

18. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

everything in the rail boxes is outside now,most of the crankshafts,flatty and 270 jimmy's are sold,we got 12 cars a modelA trk and the dodge HI-top,couple trailer loads of motors,ft and rear axels,tin,doors,grill shells......ETC,had a great day,hamber ole bone and a couple other hambsters were there but didn't get to talk.
    busted ass from 7:00 AM til 10:30 PM,4 hrs of it was road time,got 6 of the cars to a 'safe' location more sunday[today,now]

Attached Files:

19. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I'll be up there in the morning. The place I was at was a mile or two past the La Grange fire house, is that the correct area? Where/How do I contact the owner?

Thanks.

20. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

thats the right side of the road.forest rd on rt .pull in, park on left[muddy side] watch out for the BIG rock in middle of the road!! the guy runing the kabota will take your money and help land your stuff roadside.Jack is the owner of the scrap,SR. has nothing to do with this operation so don't bother him!

Attached Files:

21. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

so what are fair prices? or more to the point, how much cash should I bring?

I'm going to be looking for some A sheet metal, a PU bed maybe some rear ends. Are things available at that level, or just complete hulks?

22. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

i'd bring ALL the cash i had,LOL
    i saw one sedan,someone said they saw a coupe,but i was so busy getting our stuff that we'd looked at for years that i didn't really 'beat the bushes'
    most expensive piece was in $300 range but as we bought mor and more the prices came down,especaly as they saw more and more of our friends come in and say they were so glad we called them.
    this 'deal only came to light 4 days ago and we had AT LEAST 15 diffrent buyers there yesterday . i have prior comitments or i'd make the 2 hour drive as many of our rodder frends are today.THE ROSE called early and was on his way.hes buying but not hauling today you CAN trust these scrappers to hold your parts w/a deposit.just don't mark stuff w/ white or orange cause thats what you'll already see!!!!
    got to go split wood w/my son,he's workin i'm 'putterin,strange role reversal today LMAO !!!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! be safe and rescue some junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARK C

Attached Files:

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Exactly! And to the grumpy, burned out owner who was probably always really stingy about letting stuff leave his yard at "too good a price", he just wants to wash his hands of the whole damn deal and never wants to see another old car.
    A lot of us old car lovers are under the impression that wrecking yard owners have the same passion for old cars that we do. To most of them, it's simply business and they could give a shit about crushing cars that are "restorable" or that have good parts left on them.
    Cars of the 20's-40's that have been in a yard for decades are still there because the owner always wanted too much for them. Now it goes out for scrap price. How ironic that everyone loses.

24. screwball

screwball

At least every one is saving what ever they can. I wish I could get down there as I WANT an early 30s p/u cab in a bad way a cut up sedan of any make would be fine. Hint Hint I wouldnt be able to come down till spring as I dont have a passport yet. Save all you can guys. I love a bad news to good news story.

25. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I'm back. The pickings were thin, at least for what I wanted but I did manage to find a pretty nice drivers side 30/31 ford front door, the top and back of a 30 chevy PU cab and couple big ol' truck wheels to use as bases for some shop tools. I was out less than $50 for the whole lot.

There was a steady flow of cars going out while I was there. I heard the people buying were into racing vintage stock cars or something along those lines.

Lots of cars there that looked good on one side and were completely missing the other. Most of cars spent a lot of years on their sides.

There was a cool 40ish COE chevy I likely would have bought if I had a trailer with me. Monday I'm running down to NH to pickup a 30 model A. While I have the trailer I may stop by there and look that truck over again (if it's still there).

Here's a little info to stash away. Jack, the fella running the operation is trying to get the contract to salvage the other side of the road. The yard being worked was mostly 30's-40's, the stuff across the street is earlier. He had no idea when or if it will happen though. Also, turns out he's a local (to me) guy who's shop I've driven past a million times.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  26. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

these were sent by rosie today.there is some stuff left but the best is gone and the rest is going fast

Attached Files:

27. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

these are the eviel bastards that are cutting up these old cars and makin' circle junk

Attached Files:

28. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

this sucks, get there if you can

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

That trunk sedan in post #27 must have been a BEAUT when it was still on the road! My imagination goes crazy. Can anybody make out the MAKE from the back end? (Buick? Packard?)

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

BTW, WickedGoodRacer, SAD though this is, your pix have great deatil. Blowing them up for DETAILED close-up inspection makes a guy feel like he's actually THERE! Good work.

HOPEFULLY, everybody's posts here will get as many guys as POSSIBLE up there, while there's still time!